Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanhope centre

Options
  • 21-04-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all, after another horrible weekend I want to do something about my drinking problem. Just wondering does anyone have any experience of the Stanhope centre and what is involved in their programme. Can't find a website or anything online

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Thanks, I'm hoping things will get better. Did you do the outpatient programme? Is it mainly group work is it religious based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I did the outpatient programe and religion dident come into it at all, It's all about you and your addiction to alcohol.Your with people who have the same goals as yourself but Unfortunally not all make it through the programe.

That's good, I have tried aa but found the higher power aspect very hard to deal with.

Is it right that you attend info sessions first and then a group? What do the info sessions involve. Do you know what their success rate is? Sorry for all the questions

Stanhope's inpatient service would be financially beyond me, I suspect. How expensive is the outpatient service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bluebluesky

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you had a rough weekend on the drink OP and glad to hear you are thinking about doing something about it. I can tell you why I know. I completed the residential unit in the Stanhope Centre in the last 12 months. I cannot say enough good things about the service provided for people who are problem drinkers. First things first pick up the phone and call them. 01 6773965. They will arrange for you to come in and speak with someone there. I attended some information days and then went straight onto the residential programme that lasted 5.5 weeks. Depending on where you are at I could not go into it all here I can just tell you what my experience was. I was an extremely heavy drinker for over a decade and my drinking had reached high levels of alcoholism. After an assessment and a meeting with a councillor I was placed on a list to enter residential care and was accepted. If you want to know about how much it was and how it was paid for please feel free to PM me. The information days are very beneficial and Stanhope offer many other types of out patient programmes that I am not familiar with. Please call them and I promise you it will be a step in the right direction. In the meantime mind yourself this evening and over the coming week you can be very low after a heavy session but believe me there is light at the end of the tunnel and with the right support you wild start to steer your life in the right direction. Blue x

Thanks for the info, I called them this morning. They are going to ring me back with an appointment. Hopefully this is the first step towards things getting better for me.

I am thrilled you called them. Look forward now and although I have no experience of other treatment centres I have absolute faith that Stanhope can provide you with the tools you need at whatever level you re at to tackle this. Go you on the first step! Let me know how you get on! x

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Best of luck, cynicalcough. You have an amazing journey ahead, but remember to be kind to yourself along the way. Keep us posted.

I called last Tuesday and they still haven't called me back. Is this normal? I need to talk to someone. Should I call again?

• Advertisement

I called last Tuesday and they still haven't called me back. Is this normal? I need to talk to someone. Should I call again?

Its possible that after one phone call you may have just been overlooked in error, call again. They have always called me back, Tuesday gone they took in their clients on the first day of the residential unit that only runs about 6 times a year so you happened to call on a busy day. Phone them again x

So I called again today and the lady I spoke to was quite abrupt with me. Said they would call me back in 'a few weeks'. I understand they are probably busy But I kind of want to get involved with something soon while my motivation is high. Does anyone have any suggestions about where else I could contact? I'm looking for outpatient specifically, I don't think I'm at the stage where I need residential care.

Hi Cynicalcough, they must be really busy so, I was in and out a few times this week and it seemed that way. I suppose because of all the people who need help this is the way it is at them moment. I know you are really motivated to do something about it now but really you have probably been drinking a long time so a few weeks is nothing really. Maybe in the meantime try get some support from AA or Life Ring,l I really wish you all the best x

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Hey cynicalcough, my partner attended the inpatient service in Stanhope St just over a year ago, and lots of subsequent outpatient one-on-one and group therapies. I can safely say that it saved him and our relationship. They're big into Concerned Persons (family) being looked after too, having the option of group & one-on-one sessions too. Stick with it if you want to get help. Ring them again in a few days. I'llecho what bluebluesky says above; try to get into some support group in the meantime, AA or Lifering (they actually run groups from stanhope), this will help you focus when you get on a programme. Residential treatment is not expensive at all and I think it's means tested. No religious focus at all. Best of luck, it's a long road but well worth setting out on it.

Thank you all, I met with them last week and am starting the information sessions. Have stopped for a few days now and I'm starting to feel like I might come out the other side of this. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I am just me

Hope it's OK to bump this.

I've an appointment with the centre during the week. I have stopped drinking, a couple of months now, but was an extremely heavy drinker previously.

Anyone got any experience of the out-patient programmes? I'm also concerned as to what costs are involved, as I don't see any information on the website?

Advertisement