Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stag weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the only decent part of Athlone is in Roscommon. So wrong forum.

Be careful. The rest of Athlone might do a Putin on it and annex the Rossies

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

The only decent things to come out of Mullingar & Roscommon are the roads to Athlone.;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I lived in Mullingar for almost 2 years and never saw a single fight, never mind getting set upon by anyone, locals or otherwise.

The fact of the matter is that every single town in the country has a scummy element to it, thats unavoidable, but Ive found once you dont act the bollix then its a rarity that anything will kick off, anywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭patsy sally

just in regards to hotels in the town what hotel/hotels would you recommend to stay as going to be booking over the weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The 4 central ones are the Greville, the Annebrook, the Austin Friar, and the Newbury. All are walk-able and wouldn't need a taxi.

The Park hotel is just at the edge of town, and the Bloomfield is out of town.

I've stayed in the Newbury, it would probably be the cheapest, nice rooms, residents bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

plenty of guesthouses too.
    ring the hotels and do a deal. some of the hotels do online deals.

ok will ring around cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Slimseamie

Anybody that says Mullingar is a kip or dangerous is an idiot, very ignorant thing to say and probably judges a town based solely what they see on the news, is there scumbags there, yes, unsavoury elements to the town, yes, is Mullingar dangerous and is your life being threatened arriving into it, ha hardly and to say so is laughable.

Makes me angry because I like this town and I shouldn't have to defend it, I can understand maybe people being worried after seeing what happened at the cemetery, but its silly to judge a town based on some idiotic inhabitants that do idiotic things.

Based on the logic used in this thread by some, no town in Ireland would be safe as you could be assaulted randomly at any time, ridiculous.

Mullingar doesn't have a monopoly on scumbags or a monopoly on unprovoked assaults and if it was "unsafe" to go out in or to live in, people wouldn't do either, simple as that, good craic to be had here and anybody that encourages somebody to avoid the place is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Time Now Please

Slimseamie wrote: »
    Anybody that says Mullingar is a kip or dangerous is an idiot, very ignorant thing to say and probably judges a town based solely what they see on the news, is there scumbags there, yes, unsavoury elements to the town, yes, is Mullingar dangerous and is your life being threatened arriving into it, ha hardly and to say so is laughable.

Makes me angry because I like this town and I shouldn't have to defend it, I can understand maybe people being worried after seeing what happened at the cemetery, but its silly to judge a town based on some idiotic inhabitants that do idiotic things.

Based on the logic used in this thread by some, no town in Ireland would be safe as you could be assaulted randomly at any time, ridiculous.

Mullingar doesn't have a monopoly on scumbags or a monopoly on unprovoked assaults and if it was "unsafe" to go out in or to live in, people wouldn't do either, simple as that, good craic to be had here and anybody that encourages somebody to avoid the place is an idiot.

Eh.. tell me so what happened in St. Loman's Club House when twelve armed Gardai had to wade into a crowd of yobs who started a mass brawl, I suppose none of these guys were local either.

Eh.. tell me so what happened in St. Loman's Club House when twelve armed Gardai had to wade into a crowd of yobs who started a mass brawl, I suppose none of these guys were local either.

travellers were drinking, at a communion party.

• Advertisement

right i said i would come on after the weekend stay in mullingar and give my opinions,we visited a lot of pubs dannys the crossbar dolans
    clarkes caseys greville arms newbury annebrook hotels and plenty more aswell,and i didnt see or have any bother in any of these places,we walked around the town at night went to take aways and not a problem either,at times might of been only 2 of us together still not a problem,as in any town will always come across people drunk and falling over on roads and foothpaths but thats the norm in any town,we walked from town to greyhound stadium and back saturday night no problems again,a few of the group were a bit nervous about going up because had heard the town was rough,but said yesterday evening that it wasnt any worst than any town,all in all didnt have any problems within the main parts of the town at all,maybe the outskirts of the town are rough but i cant comment on that as we stayed within the main part of the town,have to say i enjoyed the couple nights stay up there as did all the lads and would visit again no bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

right i said i would come on after the weekend stay in mullingar and give my opinions,we visited a lot of pubs dannys the crossbar dolans
    clarkes caseys greville arms newbury annebrook hotels and plenty more aswell,and i didnt see or have any bother in any of these places,we walked around the town at night went to take aways and not a problem either,at times might of been only 2 of us together still not a problem,as in any town will always come across people drunk and falling over on roads and foothpaths but thats the norm in any town,we walked from town to greyhound stadium and back saturday night no problems again,a few of the group were a bit nervous about going up because had heard the town was rough,but said yesterday evening that it wasnt any worst than any town,all in all didnt have any problems within the main parts of the town at all,maybe the outskirts of the town are rough but i cant comment on that as we stayed within the main part of the town,have to say i enjoyed the couple nights stay up there as did all the lads and would visit again no bother..

Good to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you boys enjoyed yourselves.

Be prepared though some people may accuse you of never having been to Mullingar! Surely you took a wrong turn and had a weekend in Tullamore if no-one was attacked.

Mullingar in 'nice town' shocker

Advertisement