Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This (ITV, Easter Monday 9pm)

• 21-04-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Feature-length biopic of the much-loved comedian, written by Simon Nye and starring David Threlfall (Shameless). When Tommy's extensive touring starts to affect his home life and his health, his doting wife Gwen, whom he nicknamed Dove, decides she cannot go on the road with him any longer, so he asks stage manager Mary to act as his assistant. Her unwavering support makes all the difference to the star's performances and the pair soon embark on an affair. For the next 17 years, Tommy finds himself unable to choose between these two equally devoted women, and his death on live TV in 1984 means he never makes that decision. With Amanda Redman, Helen McCrory, Jason Manford, Gregor Fisher and Paul Ritter

This looks interesting. David Threlfall is a great choice for the lead role. Tommy Cooper's Daughter isn't happy with the story (some spoilers in the link) http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/tommy-cooper-itv-drama-daughter-3434263

Great to see ITV doing this kind of drama, which BBC Four did very well until their funding was cut a few years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I enjoyed that, David Threlfall did a good job in the lead role. The supporting cast also did well.

The scenes leading up to his death were eerie, I remember watching the show when he collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, I watched nearly the whole thing. It was very good. Who knew he was such an alco?!!!

and was the death scene relatively true to life???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

tampopo wrote: »
    yeah, I watched nearly the whole thing. It was very good. Who knew he was such an alco?!!!

and was the death scene relatively true to life???

It was, unfortunately.

The audience thought he was clowning around at first and kept laughing. When he fell backwards through the curtain his family knew Tommy was in trouble, it's something he would never had done because of his bad back. Like in the film, the director didn't seem to know what was happening and didn't stop the broadcast for ages.

Bizarrely, George Hook was backstage that night. He used to run a catering company who did a lot of work for ITV. He talks about it in his book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've it recorded. Hoping to watch it later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was a very good biopic. David Threlfall captured the essence of Tommy Cooper. Many of his classic jokes and tricks were alluded to as well as his troubling personal life and issues.

As someone who admired Tommy Cooper as a performer, I felt there was something very sad about his personal life. His heavy drinking, his heavy smoking, having two women on the go, his work obsession and his stress about everything all contributed to his untimely death. This was all captured very well in this biopic and we learnt a good deal more about his personal life. You do leave it with a heavy heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It was very good.
    Threlfall mimicked his facial expressions & mannerisms to perfection.

Cannot believe Cooper is 30 years dead.Where did that time go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw it last night, given how singular a presence Tommy Cooper was with his giant frame, lantern jaw and that speech mode David Threlfall did tremendously well it catch his shambling essence. Everyone else was fine. These show-biz bios always have the potential for mawkish hagiography but the ones I've watched in recent years have nearly all been bang on in terms of capturing the spirit of those portrayed - Dick and Liz, Morecambe and Wise, Kenny Everett, Hughie Greene.

Anyone else remember Cooper advertising Telefunken back in the early/mid 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Skid X wrote: »
    Bizarrely, George Hook was backstage that night. He used to run a catering company who did a lot of work for ITV. He talks about it in his book.

oh yeah, I remember something about that story. But not on Monday when I was watching it. ty.

Advertisement