Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

and yet again, the press knew before he did.

needs to take over a team in the bottom half of the table, as that is his level and nothing more. him getting the United job is one of the most bizzare appointments ive ever seen in football and until the day i die, ill never understand how anybody of right mind would think he was ever good enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

needs to take over a team in the bottom half of the table, as that is his level and nothing more. him getting the United job is one of the most bizzare appointments ive ever seen in football and until the day i die, ill never understand how anybody of right mind would think he was ever good enough for it.

Bit of nonsense really he had Everton around 6th or 7th on a consistent basis finishing ahead of teams who spent far more money.

He was out of his depth at United that doesn't make his level nothing more than a bottom half club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Sounds like a bit of a cop out to be honest, every foreign manager in england is experiencing a new culture and language

The difference being that in England there is a melting pot of cultures. Spain is still mainly Spanish or Spanish speakers. They have an ok squad but I'd never have expected much from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikeym wrote: »
    The culture is different over there (Basque) and the fact he couldnt master the local lingo didnt help either.

He should have just done the accent :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Next Celtic manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Celtic, Swansea or possibly Newcastle with McClaren moving "upstairs" next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Delighted he got sacked just so I never have to hear "David moyes' real sociedad", as apposed to just real sociedad, ever again.

He'll be the next Newcastle manager when mcclaren gets sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Seems like an honest, hard working guy. It's sad to see people taking the mickey out of him at every opportunity.

It's a shame it didn't work out for him, but at least he had the balls to try something different.

What he did for Everton on a fairly shoestring budget for 10 years was impressive. Hopefully he'll end up being given another shot at at least a mid-table team, or a strong team elsewhere (Celtic, etc).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'm sure he has a few million in the bank, retire early and live it up, hardly worth all the stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Doesn't surprise me as La Real spent a small fortune, in their terms, on strengthening the squad over the summer.

He needed a good start this season and the team has struggled from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Remi Garde may or may not work out for Villa, but i think they could have held on for Moyes. This seems to have been on the cards for a weeks now and i thought he'd have been perfect for Villa.

As has been already said, fair play to him for trying something different in going to Spain. It was always going to be a tough ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Try and get a job in the lower English leagues and rebuild his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

He should take a break from the game for the rest of the season. He's been working continuously pretty much for the past 15 years and the last two jobs will have taken it out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

seachto7 wrote: »

Jesus I dont think his reputation is that tarnished, it would be difficult for many british managers to go somewhere like sociedad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

What is with everyone ripping the piss out of the guy?

He's a decent person, fair enough he didn't succeed with Man Utd or Real Sociedad but there's no need to tear him to shreds.

Saw Paddy Power taking the absolute piss out of him earlier, sad situation when a company that was once highly regarded for its great marketing stoops to that level.

Hope to see him back in the PL soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rackstar wrote: »

He's a decent person, fair enough he didn't succeed with Man Utd or Real Sociedad but there's no need to tear him to shreds.

Saw Paddy Power taking the absolute piss out of him earlier, sad situation when a company that was once highly regarded for its great marketing stoops to that level.

Hope to see him back in the PL soon.

This. It's not like he's Mourinho with his constant whining and whingeing about (non-existent) Conspiracy Theories and vitriolic attacks on other Managers.

Moyes has always been a pretty likeable guy.

Are Utd fans still THAT bitter about a guy who was unsuited to the job at their club? Did they expect him to turn it down? Shouldn't the fans have vented their spleens at the guys who hired the man rather than the man himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Moyes has always comported himself in a respectful dignified manner. Ok it hasnt worked out at his last two clubs but he did reasonbly well with Everton, probably very well considering the lack of finances. He will have made mistakes sure but nothing that should make him the target of such BS as im reading tonight. A lot of people especially Everton fans have short memories...

Btw he might be kicking himself that he wasnt sacked two weeks ago he'd have been a nice fit for that Villa gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Premier league manager contracts are very lucrative, there would be no shortage of applicants.

Would clubs want a guy who failed badly and got sacked in his last 2 jobs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Premier league manager contracts are very lucrative, there would be no shortage of applicants.

Would clubs want a guy who failed badly and got sacked in his last 2 jobs ?

Steve Mcclaren doesn't quite fit your criteria but he's not far off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

seachto7 wrote: »

That's bollox he would do a fine job for any midtable premiership side. He doesn't have to drop down at all to get a job. Once one comes open he will be the top candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've put a tenner on him going to Stuttgart at 20/1. He has talked about wanting to manage in Germany someday and if they lose to Augsburg after the break I can see their coach getting canned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He's been sacked twice, and will have been compensated each time. Millions in the bank.
    Don't worry about the guy, a bit of piss taking for doing a bad job and get handsomely rewarded; if only we all had the luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Liam O wrote: »
    The difference being that in England there is a melting pot of cultures. Spain is still mainly Spanish or Spanish speakers. They have an ok squad but I'd never have expected much from him.

That's quite a bizarre post.

England is almost 100% English speaking country and a manger moving there would have to learn to speak English in order to do his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That's quite a bizarre post.

England is almost 100% English speaking country and a manger moving there would have to learn to speak English in order to do his job.

A non-English/Spanish manager from Europe is far more likely to be fluent in English than Spanish.

For every 10 foreign managers that come in, you can be pretty sure 8 or 9 of them are at extremely competent in English. I sincerely doubt there's many non Spanish managers in Spain who are equal level in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He'll be the next Newcastle manager when mcclaren gets sacked.

Hope Eight Ball still has that betting slip

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yet incredibly there are those who think Ryan Giggs should be the next manager

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This. It's not like he's Mourinho with his constant whining and whingeing about (non-existent) Conspiracy Theories and vitriolic attacks on other Managers.

Moyes has always been a pretty likeable guy.

Are Utd fans still THAT bitter about a guy who was unsuited to the job at their club? Did they expect him to turn it down? Shouldn't the fans have vented their spleens at the guys who hired the man rather than the man himself?

Eh, I would have some pretty good money the majority of those who look for any excuse to tear into Moyes are not United fans, nice generalisation all the same, but when you have a post like Vettel not too many posts above yours it should show you how ill informed it is.

Most United fans wish Moyes well, why wouldnt we? The job was too big for him, there is no shame in that, he gave it his all, he has shown himself to be a good manager at Everton and he has never been anything but a gentleman in the media. The treatment he received and still receives is a disgrace, but sad people do sad things.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Still managed to beat Barca.

Who would've thought that night that of the two managers, Enrique would outlast him :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Good.

Hope i can now enjoy seeing Sociedad again.
    If anything Moyes succeeded to make them from one of the most entertaining teams in La Liga into one of the most boring ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

inforfun wrote: »
    Good.

Hope i can now enjoy seeing Sociedad again.
    If anything Moyes succeeded to make them from one of the most entertaining teams in La Liga into one of the most boring ones.

He also got them out of a rut and led them to a solid mid table finish, getting a famous victory over Barcelona in doing so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Because nobody has EVER taken the píss out of, I don't know...

Rafa
    Mourinho
    Sherwood
    Van Gaal
    Wenger
    McClaren
    Allardyce
    AVB
    Hodgson
    Dalglish
    Keegan
    Pardew
    O'Neill
    Trappatoni
    'Arry
    Jol
    Hughes
    Pulis
    Warnock
    Holloway
    even fúcking Fergie...

He's not precious. He's a multi millionaire football manager, who'll get another job, who has already managed one of the biggest clubs in the world.

He's fine. He can take a fúcking slagging like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

thelad95 wrote: »
    He also got them out of a rut and led them to a solid mid table finish, getting a famous victory over Barcelona in doing so....

The only team whose league position i care about is in my avatar.

For the rest i watch football to be entertained.
    Sociedad under Moyes were dreadfull to watch most of the times, 1 victory against Barca doesnt make up for that.
    And that after a few years where they were great to watch and even made it to the CL while doing so.

I know they lost players of great quality (Griezmann) but that is not an excuse to play so dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He is quite clearly a mid table english manager not suited to coaching a top 4 team or abroad . He is old school & needs a core british squad to play his style of football. He is a slightly better version of Pulis & Allardyce both good lower/mid table managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

inforfun wrote: »
    The only team whose league position i care about is in my avatar.

For the rest i watch football to be entertained.
    Sociedad under Moyes were dreadfull to watch most of the times, 1 victory against Barca doesnt make up for that.
    And that after a few years where they were great to watch and even made it to the CL while doing so.

I know they lost players of great quality (Griezmann) but that is not an excuse to play so dull.

Were they entertaining when they finished their CL group with 1 point? a group topped comfortably by Moyes' poor United side?

He was brought in to steady the ship after they fell to pieces losing a few players, not play expansive, sexy football. He done what he could and it's come to an end, he left them pretty much how he found them after a slight improvement in between. An average job.

Oh and maybe the only thing Sociedad fans care about is their clubs position. Not to entertain people in other countries through Sky Sports or whatever.

Were they entertaining when they finished their CL group with 1 point? a group topped comfortably by Moyes' poor United side?

He was brought in to steady the ship after they fell to pieces losing a few players, not play expansive, sexy football. He done what he could and it's come to an end, he left them pretty much how he found them after a slight improvement in between. An average job.

Oh and maybe the only thing Sociedad fans care about is their clubs position. Not to entertain people in other countries through Sky Sports or whatever.
    your missing the point. Moyes's tactics of working hard & crossing the ball won't work in Spain.

MD1990 wrote: »
    your missing the point. Moyes's tactics of working hard & crossing the ball won't work in Spain.

That's a ridiculous statement and I'm not missing any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg

That's a ridiculous statement and I'm not missing any point.
    He is too tactically limitated for any top 4 club & for any job abroad. He could still do a good job in england with a bottom half club looking to overachieve & have an underdogs mentality.

He is too tactically limitated for any top 4 club & for any job abroad. He could still do a good job in england with a bottom half club looking to overachieve & have an underdogs mentality.

I never said he wasn't tactically limited. Your claim that working hard and crossing the ball won't work in Spain is still ridiculous.

I never said he wasn't tactically limited. Your claim that working hard and crossing the ball won't work in Spain is still ridiculous.
    name me a team playing that style that have achieved a top 10 finish. Levante are the only team to have had any sort of success playing that style.

• Advertisement

name me a team playing that style that have achieved a top 10 finish. Levante are the only team to have had any sort of success playing that style.

That's a poor line of argument, I'm sure you can tell why.

That's a poor line of argument, I'm sure you can tell why.
    its simple. La Liga is a much more tactical league than the PL so a tactically limited manager like Moyes who favours a hard working & crossing style won't be enough. You have yet to say why u think Moyes's style of play would be succesful in Spain.

its simple. La Liga is a much more tactical league than the PL so a tactically limited manager like Moyes who favours a hard working & crossing style won't be enough. You have yet to say why u think Moyes's style of play would be succesful in Spain.

Tactics are not location specific, if you employ your tactics well with the right players then you can have success regardless of what league you are in.

Just because they play a typically Spanish style from top to bottom in La Liga doesn't mean that a typically English style doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Strumms wrote: »
    A lot of people especially Everton fans have short memories...

That's Bollox!

Everton fans gave him a standing ovation even though he already had another job - and it was pretty obvious even then that the job was lined up long before anyone in the public domain was aware of it.

Then he went out of his way to unsettle Fellaini and Baines - something which his gentlemanly persona found abhorrent before he went to Old Trafford (same with his attitude to diving by the way)

This is one dumb ass argument, Moyes tactics of work hard and cross (I believe he has trademarked them) won't work cause its Spain (see, in Spain the only tactic that can work is to not work hard, not at all, be as lazy as possible and just shoot from all angles anywhere on the pitch, as working the ball into a good position would be seen as too much hard work)

Why would you bother responding to that ****e like? It's clearly throwaway armchair analysis that isn't actually worth debunking.

Moyes had a tough task on his hands there I thought, not simply a Spanish team, a Basque team. Don't think he ever grasped the language, and then Basque has its own nuances also. Fair play to him for giving it a go though, I think more British managers should try their hand abroad to experience first hand a totally different style and football culture, would surely be of benefit to the game back in England with the experience they would bring back.

Didn't follow his time there too closely but he steadied the ship last year, no idea what happened this year

This is one dumb ass argument, Moyes tactics of work hard and cross (I believe he has trademarked them) won't work cause its Spain (see, in Spain the only tactic that can work is to not work hard, not at all, be as lazy as possible and just shoot from all angles anywhere on the pitch, as working the ball into a good position would be seen as too much hard work)

Why would you bother responding to that ****e like? It's clearly throwaway armchair analysis that isn't actually worth debunking.

Moyes had a tough task on his hands there I thought, not simply a Spanish team, a Basque team. Don't think he ever grasped the language, and then Basque has its own nuances also. Fair play to him for giving it a go though, I think more British managers should try their hand abroad to experience first hand a totally different style and football culture, would surely be of benefit to the game back in England with the experience they would bring back.

Didn't follow his time there too closely but he steadied the ship last year, no idea what happened this year

I didn't want to let it go without challenging it but I also didn't want to be so harsh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

thelad95 wrote: »
    ....and left them in exactly the same position a year later when he left.

TBH, I can't see anyone outside UK offering him a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Apparently Moyes gave up on learning Spanish - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/09/david-moyes-right-manager-wrong-place-real-soceidad

I have some sympathy for Moyes, but for him to be unable to communicate in Spanish and to conduct team talks in English is unacceptable.

When did I say Spainish teams don't work hard:confused: Its a given teams will work hard. Problem is that Moyes thinks that is enough judging from interviews in the past which is why he would suit a team looking to overachieve in england as he is tactically inept. He has a very good midfield with Ruben Pardo,Illaramendi,Zurutuza but they are unsuited to a Moyes team. He was completly unsuited to the job & to Spanish football. He does deserve credit though for going to Spain & try a new league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll be honest here lads, we sometimes forget that there are literally thousands of professional coaches / managers working across the European game. When you take a broad view across the games as a whole Moyes is definitely in the 80th percentile or better. It wasn't his fault that he was given the ultimate poisoned chalice, and it seemed like he worked hard during the 2013 / 14 season and ultimately - while his performance was unacceptable - it wasn't a complete disaster. Nor has his time at Sociedad been a complete shambles. He did have a positive effect last year. But nine points from the first eleven games this year makes his dismissal unsurprising.

There will be a job at a mid sized top tier club in England within which Moyes can be successful. He's had two very different but hugely challenging jobs that haven't worked out. But he's demonstrated ambition and that is surely worthy of respect in of itself.

We're all guilty of this too by the way, with players also. When you consider the depth of the professional game, it is a fine achievement to be above average in the second tier of one of the major league structures, either as a player or a coach. We all too easily forget that.

Advertisement