Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

poetic really.
    David Moyes would be the first manager that Manchester United have sacked since 1986... One final record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

KungPao wrote: »
    Reports coming in that Steve McClaren is being lined up as Moyes' replacement.

Makes sense. I heard he does a good Scottish accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CR 7 wrote: »
    Have any Coronation Street actors confirmed it?

Roy Cropper and Les Battersby were overhead talking about it in the Rovers by Norris.

"@evilkagawa: United no change manger 25 year.
    Kagawa - 2 year United...2 manager gone!
    Slayer-a-making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Joe Kinnear and Mike Bassett being heavily tipped as new management team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Will this go down in history as the biggest failure of a manager appointment in football?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Joke of a club 3 managers in 15 months :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Tinie wrote: »
    Will this go down in history as the biggest failure of a manager appointment in football?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I hope they let Moyes keep his state of the art whiteboards and iPads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

So happy this is finally happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

No, just no. Have you watched football in the last 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This better happen.

Or I will be really really really really annoyed.

Like really annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Can United please re-hire all of the backroom staff that moyes sacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Woy to Liverpool beats Moyes to Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Party time in the Moyes house. 5 years worth of contract to be paid up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd be utterly amazed if he resigned, thus losing out on significant compensation. Though both parties might be happy to spin it with that resignation angle I'd be very surprised if he wasn't paid a lot of money to go.

Typical of a Scotsman to get six years wages for one years work mind :pac:

Maybe he was also getting payment from other clubs too? :D In an seriousness I'd say the Glazers were wily enough to have their contract compensation determined by his performances.
    5starpool wrote: »
    No trophies? I think you are forgetting the brilliant charity shield triumph.

Oh yeah I did. Stop the presses! Get a petition going, this is blasphemy! Moyes deserves another season!
    (Wonder, if there will be a kickstarter campaign or petition?:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

One of the biggest yes.

Really?

From Champions to 7th is quite a feat

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Not. A.Chance

• Advertisement

Liverpool finished 7th the season before Hodgson took over. United were champions.

Roy was crap but very difficult to argue that he made a bigger hames of it than Moyes has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Van Gaal wont restore them to what they were. top four probably though and a lot of fall outs. Defo could see RVP captain, rooney to chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No Moyes was worse then Woy or Roy or whatever ya call him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Party time in the Moyes house. 5 years worth of contract to be paid up.

No chance is he getting a 5 year pay off. Not a hope in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I feel sorry for Moyes. He had a secure job at Everton, and took a gamble by leaving for Man.United. Now only a year later he's out of a job with his reputation ruined.

He'll end up back at Everton, when Martinez goes to Arsenal or Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Poor show from United after all the waffle that the manager will be given time, waffle waffle waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

No chance is he getting a 5 year pay off. Not a hope in hell.

All depends what the contract states .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

All depends what the contract states .

Exactly. Not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I really think we should start a petition to keep Moyes at United.
    He is doing a great job and is just what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

How do they make the announcement? Is it when the Stock Exchange opens in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liamalone wrote: »
    Poor show from United after all the waffle that the manager will be given time, waffle waffle waffle.

Utd and their fans are the same as any other club. Nothing special - in today's game he was always a dead man walking with that level of performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Writing on the wall really the last couple of games. Team looks good on paper but useless in performance. When the players aren't performing for you the games up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I cant think of one thing that happened this season that would make my believe Moyes could turn it around. City or Chelsea would have sacked him earlier. Its the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Eamonn Holmes has confirmed it. I'm waiting for the holy trinity to be complete when Mick Hucknell and Manny from the Stone Roses inform us that the news is true before I believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Exactly. Not a hope in hell.

Well you would be a foolish person to sign a contract that states no pay off if you fail .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Surely most of those contracts these days stipulate a maximum payout of a year or something?

If utd can get Klopp they would be crazy not to go for him. Simeone probably not ready to leave Atletico yet imo. If Klopp not available then surely van Gaal would be a safe pair of hands for getting back towards the top. I can't see Giggs as being anything more than an interim coach surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

sea_monkey wrote: »
    Can United please re-hire all of the backroom staff that moyes sacked?

If it's Louis Van Gaal, he'll be hiring his own guys and will tell anybody suggesting otherwise to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

fergie got it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i for one would like to send out my heartfelt thanks to david moyes for the season he has just provided to manchester utd football club.
    i did not think when he was appointed that it would turn out worse for them then id hoped,but he has surpassed my greatest expectations,for that david,and from the majority of lfc fans id imagine,from the bottom of our hearts ..

THANK YOU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think he would have gotten plenty of time if there was a plan in place but no excuse for cantering to title by 11pts last year and struggling for 7th this year. Don't care how much of an overhaul the team needs, anyway its still all speculation at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Well you would be a foolish person to sign a contract that states no pay off if you fail .

The terms of his contract would have included performance targets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The Glazers should do the job properly this time and remove Ferguson from the club completely. If he had any sense of decorum he'd resign for the Moyes decision anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Raf32 wrote: »
    Van Gaal wont restore them to what they were. top four probably though and a lot of fall outs. Defo could see RVP captain, rooney to chelsea.

Rooney on a new deal though, he may fall out with him but would be going nowhere. RVP would be captain though in all likelihood

He'd cause absolute chaos but would leave the club in a good spot. He's had success everywhere and built great teams. Ajax 95 are one of the greatest sides ever put together and they went both a league and european campaign unbeaten that year. Bayern right now even have a considerable stamp from him, he signed Robben, brought Kroos, Badstuber and Muller through and converted Schweinsteiger from a winger to a Central Midfielder.

5starpool wrote: »
    Surely most of those contracts these days stipulate a maximum payout of a year or something?

If utd can get Klopp they would be crazy not to go for him. Simeone probably not ready to leave Atletico yet imo. If Klopp not available then surely van Gaal would be a safe pair of hands for getting back towards the top. I can't see Giggs as being anything more than an interim coach surely.

Simeone doesn't speak any English. Not as big a deal as it would have been once but I don't see him coming to England any time soon.

Klopp maybe but Honigstein seems fairly adamant that Klopp to Utd has almost zero per cent chance of happening.

Aidy Boothroyd a decent shout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

sabat wrote: »
    The Glazers should do the job properly this time and remove Ferguson from the club completely. If he had any sense of decorum he'd resign for the Moyes decision anyway.

Remove a man who served the club for nearly 30 years and brought unprecedented success - because he put his faith in Moyes?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

micar wrote: »
    How do they make the announcement? Is it when the Stock Exchange opens in the morning?

NYSE is open today .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aidy Boothroyd a decent shout?

How is A*** B**th**yd not included in the swear filter? Now let us never speak of him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nope United are absolutely right to sack him ,failed every possible minimum expectation for their season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

SkySportsNews: Manchester Utd tell us David Moyes IS still manager - but we understand he could learn his fate in the next 24 hours. More #SSN from 1730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Writing on the wall really the last couple of games. Team looks good on paper but useless in performance. When the players aren't performing for you the games up

Does it even look that good on paper?

De Gea is fine, sure. Vidic and Ferdinand are not interested/finished. Jones and Smalling not near developed enough yet. I was an Evra fan but he's been shocking this year and Buttner is certainly not the answer.

Their wingers are all below par for a team expected to challenge for the title. Carrick is fine but Fellaini nowhere near good enough.

Rooney, Van Persie, Mata all certainly good enough and excellent but without dropping one of Rooney or Van Persie, Mata can't really be played in his best position.

Major surgery needed on that squad and yet Moyes has spent circa £60m.

If I was the new manager, in order to make them title challengers again I'd be looking to sign arguably two top CB, a full-back, three MF's (yes, three, two wingers included as part of that if you want to play with some with) and going with the below. Rafael could probably be replaced too in all honesty.

The new manager for me also needs to make a decision on what to do with the front three. A tough decision needs to be made and one sold. You could probably recoup most of the money on Mata from PSG but Van Persie is 31 and picking up injuries again. Like I say, a tough decision, but something needs to be done as playing all three isn't going to work.
    De Gea

Rafael CB CB LB

Carrick

MF----CM
    MF

Mata/Rooney

Rooney/Van Persie

They need a serious amount of work and realistically you're looking at circa £150m to turn that team around. Sell one of the front three and Fellaini and you'd probably get a third of that back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Once these rumours start, it's only a matter of time. Even if he wasn't on the absolute verge, the media storm will cause it to happen. Was the same with AVB. I can't see any way back for him. I do feel a bit for the guy, I really do, but he has made some list of mistakes, and broken some long-standing records in the process. He cannot seem to make any players like him, or play for him, except perhaps Rooney. And he was awful yesterday. They all look miserable. And these are proven winners, no matter what you say about their age and ability. I'm sure a lot of managers would have been marginalised coming in after such a period under Ferguson, but I can't see any bona fide winners coming in and alienating themselves so much or seeming so inept. It would have been a tough season for them no doubt, but David's tenure thusfar has been as bad as AVB's at Chelsea if not worse.

Advertisement