Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes sacked

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Simeone doesn't speak any English. Not as big a deal as it would have been once but I don't see him coming to England any time soon.

Klopp maybe but Honigstein seems fairly adamant that Klopp to Utd has almost zero per cent chance of happening.

Aidy Boothroyd a decent shout?

Not speaking English a deal breaker alright for a club like utd. I can't see any way in hell utd will go for an up and coming British manager who has never been at a big club before. If things went pear shaped for a few seasons (which they surely won't) it might be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

United making a statement at 4 p.m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5starpool wrote: »
    Not speaking English a deal breaker alright for a club like utd. I can't see any way in hell utd will go for an up and coming British manager who has never been at a big club before. If things went pear shaped for a few seasons (which they surely won't) it might be different.

Maybe raid Everton again for Martinez?

Think they will want a bigger "name" though to appease the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

To be fair, most United fans extended a great deal of patience towards the man.

There's a line and he crossed it a long time ago.

Those who trotted out the 'it's not the United way' line may have to climb down a little bit from their moral highground, but this is far from a Chelsea style sacking. It's just a totally different situation.

Their discontent for the main isn't based on fickleness or re-activeness or emotion. Rather, it is largely the result of a rational/logical conclusion based on overwhelming evidence and facts.

If ever a sacking was fully deserved, it was this one.

Extending his contract to 10 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well you would be a foolish person to sign a contract that states no pay off if you fail .

And even more foolish to give a 6 year contract with no stipulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If this is true im fairly surprised they didnt give him til the end of the season. They've waited this long they might as well like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Weird as an Arsenal fan being happy for United fans been rid of Moyes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

jonny666 wrote: »
    If this is true im fairly surprised they didnt give him til the end of the season. They've waited this long they might as well like

They might have been waiting until champions league qualification was mathematically impossible to reduce his compensation due to a clause in his contract???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Degag wrote: »
    Remove a man who served the club for nearly 30 years and brought unprecedented success - because he put his faith in Moyes?

:rolleyes:

Not because of the Moyes decision, but because it's in keeping with good business practise to give the new guy a proper clean slate. I can't help but think that the contrast between Utd's home and away form can at least be partly explained by Ferguson's presence in the stands

• Advertisement

Weird as an Arsenal fan being happy for United fans been rid of Moyes :D

Hoping Tim Sherwood will replace him or AVB will come back to send us into another negative spiral............:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And even more foolish to give a 6 year contract with no stipulations.

there was no way this was the case.

you'll find that the contract was loaded with stipulations of some sort. I'd hazard a guess that one of them was that he had to get Champions League football this year. that was mathematically impossible after yesterday.

you'll find that he probably had an initial contract for a couple of years maybe, performance related, with the option of more if certain things we achieved, etc.

in the modern world where money is everything, there's no way Utd would have risked throwing away 5 years worth of money if Moyes failed like he has. logically, i'd say he'll get a pay off a few million, one year of his contract or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Where did you see/hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Maybe there was a reason he looked so relaxed in the post match interview yesterday. He knew this was coming and he finally relaxed. Like a caught killer being able to sleep

SlickRic wrote: »

you'll find that the contract was loaded with stipulations of some sort. I'd hazard a guess that one of them was that he had to get Champions League football this year. that was mathematically impossible after yesterday.

you'll find that he probably had an initial contract for a couple of years maybe, performance related, with the option of more if certain things we achieved, etc.

in the modern world where money is everything, there's no way Utd would have risked throwing away 5 years worth of money if Moyes failed like he has. logically, i'd say he'll get a pay off a few million, one year of his contract or something.

Thought all those sacked Chelsea managers got near the full amount of their contracts when fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looks like it won't be today anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Thought all those sacked Chelsea managers got near the full amount of their contracts when fired.

Isn't Di Matteo still receiving over 100k a week from Chelsea ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Similar to the 8-year Pardew deal, Ashley only has to pay one year compensation if he decides to move on.

Good shout on the Champions League qualification. If he did have a clause where he had to qualify for it it's no surprise that this is coming out the day after it became mathematically impossible for them to get it.

My thinking would be that while that would be the norm as you say, United probably never thought it would get this bad and may have avoided such clauses to show that they were going to give the manager time etc etc etc like Fergie got.

Either way, he'll get enough money to ensure he and his family live comfortably, even if he was to never work again, for failing. Not bad work if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't think his post match interviews helped him. He's obviously not the right man to fix a problem if he doesn't even know it exists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

guy is the worst manager in the league mr magoo at fulham is even better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Someone re-name the thread FFS Are United & David Moyes done?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Somewhat different though. No manager with a brain is going to sign a contract put on the table by Abramovic without it being loaded with clauses to protect them in the quite likely event of being sacked.

Utd could have loaded Moyes's contract with clauses knowing full well that he wouldn't make any fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Betting suspended on Moyes being sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Betting suspended on Moyes being sacked

Didn't that happen around Christmas too?

Glazers Out!

spiralism wrote: »
    Somewhat different though. No manager with a brain is going to sign a contract put on the table by Abramovic without it being loaded with clauses to protect them in the quite likely event of being sacked.

Utd could have loaded Moyes's contract with clauses knowing full well that he wouldn't make any fuss.

I'd think he'll be getting a cheque to rival anything at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well he put Jones in goals yesterday and he made a great diving save, so I would not fire him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Paully D wrote: »
    Either way, he'll get enough money to ensure he and his family live comfortably, even if he was to never work again, for failing. Not bad work if you can get it.

He was already one of the top 10 paid managers in World football at Everton. No fear of him going hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Paully D wrote: »
    Does it even look that good on paper?

De Gea is fine, sure. Vidic and Ferdinand are not interested/finished. Jones and Smalling not near developed enough yet. I was an Evra fan but he's been shocking this year and Buttner is certainly not the answer.

Their wingers are all below par for a team expected to challenge for the title. Carrick is fine but Fellaini nowhere near good enough.

Rooney, Van Persie, Mata all certainly good enough and excellent but without dropping one of Rooney or Van Persie, Mata can't really be played in his best position.

Major surgery needed on that squad and yet Moyes has spent circa £60m.

If I was the new manager, in order to make them title challengers again I'd be looking to sign arguably two top CB, a full-back, three MF's (yes, three, two wingers included as part of that if you want to play with some with) and going with the below. Rafael could probably be replaced too in all honesty.

The new manager for me also needs to make a decision on what to do with the front three. A tough decision needs to be made and one sold. You could probably recoup most of the money on Mata from PSG but Van Persie is 31 and picking up injuries again. Like I say, a tough decision, but something needs to be done as playing all three isn't going to work.
    De Gea
    Rafael CB CB LB
    Carrick
    MF----CM
    MF
    Mata/Rooney
    Rooney/Van Persie

They need a serious amount of work and realistically you're looking at circa £150m to turn that team around. Sell one of the front three and Fellaini and you'd probably get a third of that back.

Have to disagree about the CBs. I think Evans has quietly been our best CB for a few years now. Smalling is good when he is played in there but having him at right back every second game makes him look worse than he is IMO. How good would Vidic be if he played every 2nd game at LB?
    I think a LB is needed and possibly a RB too. I like Rafael but between injury and suspension he misses a lot of games.

Midfield I think we need 1 midfielder in the mould of Ramires/Fernandinho and I would like to see Paul Pogba brought back in. I've always thought it was a mistake to let him go. I think with the wingrs it really depend on the game whose needed. If we dont need a lot of defensive work i think welbeck and januzaj can give us a great attacking threat from either side.
    Defensively we have valencia for the right but only really young who can do a job(in the loosest sense) on the left.

I wasn't really a fan of signing mata from the start because i think rooney is a better option for that position. I also think Kagawa could be used in a swap deal for Marco Reus if Klopp is still at Dortmund as he is a huge fan of Kagawa.

Back on topic though I think Moyes has to go really. He looks way out of his depth. Even the liitle things yesterday that were plain to see he got wrong and never rectified them. Smalling and jones swapping positions was crazy to start with. Jones always looks nervy at CB and i dont think ive ever seen smalling play above average at RB.
    The decision to take Kagawa off for Chicharito was ridiculous considering the way Mata was playing. I think he took the easy option of taking Kagawa off because he couldnt be seen taking off his 30 million signing.

His attatude on the sidelines bugs me too. When losing he seem to be pitying himself instead of looking to see how he can change things and get back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

nullzero wrote: »
    Didn't that happen around Christmas too?

I was wondering if that had any major significance. Just saw it on SSN's. I'm not well up on the absolutes of betting but it does seem fairly ominous to my mind. Have no idea about that happening over christmas tbh.

• Advertisement

Di Matteo was on a 2-year contract.

Avram Grant signed a 4-year contract (weird one).

Scolari had a 3-year contract.

Ancelotti was signed on a 3-year contract.

Mourinho is now on a 4-year one.

Moyes is on a 6 year contract, and he's done nothing compared to what Mourinho, Ancelotti or Scolari had done before they arrived at Chelsea. it's too long to have no stipulations involved.

even if they the likes of Scolari and do Matteo got their full payoffs when sacked, it wouldn't be even close to what Utd would now have to owe Moyes if his contract was to be fully paid up.

10248636_10201636755859089_523355427_o.jpg?oh=0083b13bcba85e2307ab447002000617&oe=53577609&__gda__=1398228582_f656e7f148ab81d20259b319033bf8ab

take from it what you will.
    Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
    Manchester United to @talkSPORT

David Moyes 'Definitely not being sacked".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I thought these contracts were only paid out whilst that manger is out of a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So is he gone or not gone or is he just quantum gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yay!!

Moyes in!

• Advertisement

Di Matteo was on a 2-year contract.

Avram Grant signed a 4-year contract (weird one).

Scolari had a 3-year contract.

Ancelotti was signed on a 3-year contract.

Mourinho is now on a 4-year one.

Moyes is on a 6 year contract, and he's done nothing compared to what Mourinho, Ancelotti or Scolari had done before they arrived at Chelsea.

even if they the likes of Scolari and do Matteo got their full payoffs when sacked, it wouldn't be even close to what Utd would now have to owe Moyes if his contract was to be fully paid up.

Doubt he will get a full payoff but will be massive compensation most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Only one man to blame and that is Ferguson they should have got a big.European name in and he should been told stay away for a few years and let the.new manager get on with the job but with an ego the size of an elephant that was never going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

BlwTKrKCcAAICQD.jpg

Moyes in?

Moyes out?

Shake it all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So; they're saying he's definitely not been sacked?

• Advertisement

No comment to the BBC though and Collymore isn't exactly a bastion of credibility.

Also, Eamonn Holmes tweeting about it as if it's true is telling as he's close to Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So he hasn't been sacked?

United, a great bunch of lads.

This is being hashed out over the next day or so would be the indication. Club definitely trying to get out of paying him as much as they possibly can and a departure by mutual consent is being worked towards

That's the impression i get anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

blueser wrote: »
    So; they're saying he's definitely not been sacked?

Yeah later corrected to "been" by Collymore, which is a huge difference than is sensationalist effort earlier.

This is being hashed out over the next day or so would be the indication. Club definitely trying to get out of paying him as much as they possibly can and a departure by mutual consent is being worked towards

That's the impression i get anyways.

lol, where exactly are you getting this impression from? Thin air?

lol, where exactly are you getting this impression from? Thin air?

It adds up. He's on a 6 year deal after all and the club is sorting it all out in the background, hence rumours of "next 24 hours". Club stating that he's not been sacked but refusing to comment whether he will be or not corroborates that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It adds up. He's on a 6 year deal after all and the club is sorting it all out in the background, hence rumours of "next 24 hours". Club stating that he's not been sacked but refusing to comment whether he will be or not corroborates that.

I find it hard to believe the club would stoop to that, as much as I'd enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm guessing there was some stipulation in the contract about finishing 4th, so now after yesterday, Man Utd were officially eliminated from 4th, maybe that's why there's movement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I find it hard to believe the club would stoop to that, as much as I'd enjoy it.

When it comes to money, there is no loyalty or sentiment. Who would want to take the job? Only an individual with a massive ego and a hide like a rhinoceros. Ferguson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Moyes in?

Moyes out?

Shake it all about

You put Marouane in,
    See Van Persie go out,
    You put the Mata in
    And you shake it all about

27 wins from 51 games churned out

And that's why they want Moyes out!:D

• Advertisement