Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes sacked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

kryogen wrote: »
    No idea tbh

Ok so, no thanks on the 10/1. Appreciate the offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ah now here...no-one was assassinated at the FA Cup Final.

No but he basically blew the team up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ok so, no thanks on the 10/1. Appreciate the offer though.

Would you like me to google it for you? I assume you have some sort of impediment to you doing it?

Tell you what, I am feeling somewhat reckless about this whole thing, since you said Giggs at 14/1 earlier was a great price I will increase my offer to 16/1 right now. Any movement there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Really?

So you do get the terminology then? Thats an improvement sure.

Madrid are a circus when it comes to managers, I would like to see you make a case for a counter point to that, really.

Do you think Fergie owns the club by the way?

Maybe some people at United think he does,Fergie says hire Moyes so you hire him.

This isn't just Moyes' fault some of the players have been a disgrace in terms of their performance this season not justifying their wage at all.

Yeah Madrid do change managers too often but classless?No way.

United had it easy the past 30 years with Ferguson as manager,times have changed since he first took over who's to say the managerial merry go round isn't on it's way to Old Trafford?You're telling me if the manager next season didn't get you into Europe you're going to be happy to stand by him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Odds on next United manager for those interested

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager

Best Price
    Van Gaal 7/2
    Klopp 5/1
    Giggs 6/1
    Simoene 16/1
    SAF 18/1
    Queiroz 18/1
    Ancelotti 33/1
    Hiddink 33/1
    Frank De Boer 40/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

it just gets better and better

Yes cause it really matters who manages the team for the remaining 4 games where the team attempts to bridge the gap between 6th and 7th

Odds on next United manager for those interested

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager

Best Price
    Van Gaal 7/2
    Klopp 5/1
    Giggs 6/1
    Simoene 16/1
    SAF 18/1
    Queiroz 18/1
    Ancelotti 33/1
    Hiddink 33/1
    Frank De Boer 40/1

Ancelotti might be a decent outside bet

Would you like me to google it for you? I assume you have some sort of impediment to you doing it?

Tell you what, I am feeling somewhat reckless about this whole thing, since you said Giggs at 14/1 earlier was a great price I will increase my offer to 16/1 right now. Any movement there?

Ok, what's the max/minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeah with the way Madrid are with managers he could be available in the summer too.

• Advertisement

I'd love him at the club, and you never know with Madrid, he may be available depending on how the season pans out for them.

My number 1 choice all things being equal

Ok, what's the max/minimum?

Minimum 50 max 200

Lets continue this in PM to work out the details

Not really for the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya I think it is the outside and value bet at this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From James Ducker (The Times)
    Lot of talk in Germany Klopp will stay at Borussia Dortmund but very much doubt he would turn down #Barca or #MUFC if offers came

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

zerks wrote: »
    From James Ducker (The Times)

He himself just said about two days ago that he wouldn't take the Barca job. Neither Klopp nor Marco Reus are going anywhere and people need to get it out of their minds.

Minimum 50 max 200

You're too much of a high roller for me Kryogen, I'll have to bottle it tbh. I'd barely do a €5 on Saturday. Thanks though ;) I'll probably regret it.

• Advertisement

You're too much of a high roller for me Kryogen, I'll have to bottle it tbh. I'd barely do a €5 on Saturday. Thanks though ;) I'll probably regret it.

Dont be silly its not bottling it, no worries man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Surprised gigs is so short with the bookies considering next season when the deal for Salford City goes through he wont be able to manage/work for any other club.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

There's a lot of people here who think that Moyes is been treated unfairly.
    No matter what your opinion on the difficulties he's inherited, there is no doubt that he himself has done a bad job (even allowing for the transition difficulties). He has set many unwanted records in just one season. And for doing a really bad job, he'll get millions in compensation. That is not unfair.

Many had doubts about Moyes when he got the job. Did he have the authority, the tactical know how, the footballing mentality, and the faith from the players to succeed at a club like Utd.
    He's failed on all counts.

Trying to compare Moyes first year to other successful managers is crazy. There has been no progression all season, with the last match against Everton summing up everything wrong with Moyes.
    Martinez has shown, with the release/loaning of players, that Everton have been able to kick on without spending big.

I can agree with pointing out some of the issues he inherited. Ferguson left a slightly ageing squad, and many average players were made look better than they were thanks to Fergusons genius. Ferguson should have had the decency to walk away rather than watch from the stands.

When Rio spoke negativity against the manager, Moyes should have had the courage to drop Rio to train with the youths and let his contract run down. But he didn't have the balls to make such a big decision and stamp his authority.

But Moyes got it wrong from the start. The signing of Fellaini was baffling. He was most effective when Everton bypassed passing the ball into midfield and used Fellaini up front, ala Big Jack.
    He did a good job as a holding midfielder, but that's when Everton got 10 men behind the ball in a rear guard action. He wasn't patrolling midfield while Everton besieged the opposition.
    Both tactics were unlikely to please Utd fans, or succeed at the level Man U aspired to.

Utd were always going to have some struggles with the transition from Ferguson. But watching Utd against Everton was similar to the beginning of the season. There has been no progress since he took over, and that's with approx €65m already spent.

I'm a Liverpool fan, so I'd like to see his contract extended. But I can't believe that there are real Utd football fans that want to keep him.
    And 'the Utd way' that GNeville and others keep going on about is bs.
    One of the main reasons for Utd's success is that Feeguson would quickly move on rubbish that wasn't performing.
    Moyes is in that category.

There's a large compensation coming Moyes way. Don't worry about him.

spiralism wrote: »
    He himself just said about two days ago that he wouldn't take the Barca job. Neither Klopp nor Marco Reus are going anywhere and people need to get it out of their minds.

The Independent are saying that United have already made an approach for Klopp.
    The Mirror also saying he's "more than keen to come".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

There's a lot of people here who think that Moyes is been treated unfairly.
    No matter what your opinion on the difficulties he's inherited, there is no doubt that he himself has done a bad job (even allowing for the transition difficulties). He has set many unwanted records in just one season. And for doing a really bad job, he'll get millions in compensation. That is not unfair.

Many had doubts about Moyes when he got the job. Did he have the authority, the tactical know how, the footballing mentality, and the faith from the players to succeed at a club like Utd.
    He's failed on all counts.

Trying to compare Moyes first year to other successful managers is crazy. There has been no progression all season, with the last match against Everton summing up everything wrong with Moyes.
    Martinez has shown, with the release/loaning of players, that Everton have been able to kick on without spending big.

I can agree with pointing out some of the issues he inherited. Ferguson left a slightly ageing squad, and many average players were made look better than they were thanks to Fergusons genius. Ferguson should have had the decency to walk away rather than watch from the stands.

When Rio spoke negativity against the manager, Moyes should have had the courage to drop Rio to train with the youths and let his contract run down. But he didn't have the balls to make such a big decision and stamp his authority.

But Moyes got it wrong from the start. The signing of Fellaini was baffling. He was most effective when Everton bypassed passing the ball into midfield and used Fellaini up front, ala Big Jack.
    He did a good job as a holding midfielder, but that's when Everton got 10 men behind the ball in a rear guard action. He wasn't patrolling midfield while Everton besieged the opposition.
    Both tactics were unlikely to please Utd fans, or succeed at the level Man U aspired to.

Utd were always going to have some struggles with the transition from Ferguson. But watching Utd against Everton was similar to the beginning of the season. There has been no progress since he took over, and that's with approx €65m already spent.

I'm a Liverpool fan, so I'd like to see his contract extended. But I can't believe that there are real Utd football fans that want to keep him.
    And 'the Utd way' that GNeville and others keep going on about is bs.
    One of the main reasons for Utd's success is that Feeguson would quickly move on rubbish that wasn't performing.
    Moyes is in that category.

There's a large compensation coming Moyes way. Don't worry about him.

On that last bit. A lot of reports coming out that he will only get £4.5m instead of the ~£30m figure being touted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It will be van gaal.

I'd love if they for rene back too. Get rene to work til the end of the year with the team.

He's Dutch, van gaal is Dutch...Bish bosh boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

ASOT wrote: »
    Surprised gigs is so short with the bookies considering next season when the deal for Salford City goes through he wont be able to manage/work for any other club.....

He will likely pull out if offered the United job

The DM saying that senior players spoke to Fergie about getting rid of Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

On that last bit. A lot of reports coming out that he will only get £4.5m instead of the ~£30m figure being touted
    I know. Some payout for taking the League Champs to 7th, not to mention the large pay check he got each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paully D wrote: »
    Get a proven winner in, give him £100m to spend on improving the defence and midfield, and make a challenge on the top four next season.

Not being critical of your post, but 'a challenge on the top four' as opposed to challenging for the title? :( how expectation has sunk.

Until yesterday I would have given Moyes until the end of this year, perhaps even the end of 2014-15, but although he has belatedly figured out what his best team is it's clear he hasn't the slightest clue how to organise or motivate them effectively. A lot of fans like myself who can remember the early AF years and the pre-AF years have been fooling ourselves into thinking that he could turn things around 'given time', 'given the chance to shape the squad' 'build his own team' etc.
    I'd hated the relentless Moyes barracking until now but when I saw the rumours circulating this afternoon, suddenly it was a relief. It's now OK to admit he's got to go :)

What really killed any hope was the (as usual) clueless use of the bench. At Everton Moyes seemed able to recognise when his team wasn't working optimally in a game and change formation/tactics/lineup accordingly, here it's wait until 75 mins even if 2 or 3 nil down and then sub off the wrong players.

I don't blame Moyes for the transfer ineptitude though. But changing the manager, all the backroom footbaling staff and the CEO at the same time was a huge mistake.

The bending over backwards for the increasingly ineffective and mercenary Rooney is grating also, I'd be happy for him to walk away right now as things stand.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im not a Man utd fan but the board should give him a chance till next Christmas.

I know Man Utd is a big club and they should be in the top 4 every year but I blame the players performances as well as the manager this season.

Im actually surprised the blabbermouths in the team haven't told social media that Dave Moyes is sacked yet, or is it official who knows.

Oliver Kay tweeted that the pay off to Moyes will be £4.5 million.

Giggs & Butt to take over for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ninja900 wrote: »

What really killed any hope was the (as usual) clueless use of the bench. At Everton Moyes seemed able to recognise when his team wasn't working optimally in a game and change formation/tactics/lineup accordingly, here it's wait until 75 mins even if 2 or 3 nil down and then sub off the wrong players.

No he didn't. He's always been shockingly stubborn when it comes to substitutions and during his Everton years he consistently waited till 75/80 minutes to make a change despite clearly getting the formation/selection wrong. I posted about it in the utd thread back in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Man of the year :)

Blw3KyLCIAAvJ3X.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're a toffee Gavlor then you've studied DM close up and for a long time. From further afield we didn't see the details, he looked like a promising manager who achieved a lot on a limited budget, but... well you know the rest. It doesn't automatically mean he can seamlessly step up to a club with much greater budgets and expectations and media interest.

It was either last season or the season before that at least one commentator held up DM as an example of a manager who was tactically 'flexible' during a game while AF was 'rigid'. Probably during a Utd v Everton. Then again it could have been sh!te talk on MOTD. Must stop watching that :(

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

How was Wenger supposed to build a title winning squad while financing a £400 million pound stadium.

It's a miracle Wenger kept them in the Champions League having to sell their best players every year and the new oil clubs on the scene, plus Liverpool and Tottenham constantly outspending them.

They board, owners & major shareholders past & present have enriched themselves since the move to the new stadium, the redevelopment costs included 3000 flats & houses including the old Highbury Stadium sold at a nice profit. The stadium annual repayments were around £15million, extra gate receipts & merchandise, added to increased sponsorship & TV deals more than covered this. They portray Arsenal as broke whilst always boasting every year when they post their increased profits.

Meanwhile the supporters paid & continue to pay the highest ticket prices in world football. I remember Peter Hill Wood, Arsenal Chairman saying the new stadium wouldn't affect the salary & transfer budgets at the time of the move. Lies & mistruths have been spurted ever since.

There's a reason why Arsenal shares are worth so much, because of the value & assets owned by the club & it's annual turnover. Wenger has become a director of football instead of a manager & is more bothered about finances & his handsome salary & is now unsackable because the board & owner put profits above trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The damage has been done, they are out of the champions league and are in for a huge fight to get back in next year regardless of the manager.
    Truth is the ferguson era is gone and they are now in the hiring and firing game like every other big club.

From what I have seen of united this season most of the squad needs to go they are just slow and average. Massive rebuilding job ahead.

I don't believe a manager should be given unconditional time so they are right to bin moyes. Time should be rewarded if progress is shown be its results, performance or style of play.
    Liverpool sacked hodgson and dalglish quickly and are proven to be right so far.
    Sometimes you just know a manager isn't going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Heres my tip :-

He'll go to Spurs and do well - United was a step to high for Moyes - his football style is not attractive so not sure how that will go down - so perhaps he'll end up at West Ham or Newcastle - again, I'd tip him to do well at either club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not being critical of your post, but 'a challenge on the top four' as opposed to challenging for the title? :( how expectation has sunk.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit pessimistic, but City and Chelsea are so far ahead of United at the minute in terms of personnel and they'll probably drop £80m-£100m this summer without even blinking, while Liverpool and Arsenal have spent circa £50m a season for the last three years and will likely spend at least that again.

If United are to make a serious challenge on the title next season I think the best thing for them would be to have no Europa League, though I think it's a step too far for next year and it'll take them a season before they get back on track providing they get their next managerial appointment right.

Their squad needs serious surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

zerks wrote: »
    Oliver Kay tweeted that the pay off to Moyes will be £4.5 million.

Giggs & Butt to take over for the remainder of the season.

They might as well get the rest of the cast of 'Class of 92' in for the craic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Paully D wrote: »
    They might as well get the rest of the cast of 'Class of 92' in for the craic :pac:

Scholes as a coach is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Confirmation starting to come in now. Sad day for the comedians of boards.ie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's done.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Apr/club-statement-on-david-moyes.aspx

David Moyes leaves United

Manchester United has announced that David Moyes has left the Club.

The Club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

He's a cert for the villa job IMO

• Advertisement

He's gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@ManUtd: BREAKING: Manchester United announces that David Moyes has left the club. (part 1 of 2) #mufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Scholes as a coach is a must.

Tackle dummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its official. Surreal but needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

If I was a United supporter, I´d be ashamed of the fanbase and how the club is currently handing this.

A banner of the stadium, demanding the manager be sacked? Not long ago they were so proud of not being a sacking club, giving managers time.

Recent times have revealed them for what they really are; spoiled brats. They've had 25 years of nothing but success, then they run into a bad patch of 9 months and they're acting like petulant children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It was either give him another year or get rid as soon as possible. No point giving him money to spend, sacking him in November and then the new manager being stuck with players he doesn't want

It was a great 10 months or so for non united fans. I wonder who's next!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Eight Ball wrote: »
    If I was a United supporter, I´d be ashamed of the fanbase and how the club is currently handing this.

A banner of the stadium, demanding the manager be sacked? Not long ago they were so proud of not being a sacking club, giving managers time.

Recent times have revealed them for what they really are; spoiled brats. They've had 25 years of nothing but success, then they run into a bad patch of 9 months and they're acting like petulant children.

You're getting boring at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It was either give him another year or get rid as soon as possible. No point giving him money to spend, sacking him in November and then the new manager being stuck with players he doesn't want

It was a great 10 months or so for non united fans. I wonder who's next!?

Please let it be Gigg's

In fairness, Moyes hadn't a clue. Similar to Hodgson at Liverpool.

Small fish, big pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Eight Ball wrote: »

I'm a Liverpool fan. He hadn't a notion.

Should Hodgson have been given time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement