Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty

Options
  • 21-04-2014 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I am an American looking to move to Ireland in the next couple of years. Clonakilty is one of a number of areas I am looking at as a possible place to live. Does anyone have any information on the town as far as rent/expenses, things to do, etc.?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

For rent and costs of living i have no idea, sorry.
    Quality of living tho would be very good. Its a nice small town with every kind of shop you could need. Its got numerous beaches on its doorstep and plenty more within a very short drive. The drive to cork city would probably be about 40/45 mins and about an hour by bus. It has playgrounds, schools, cinemas etc in the town itself so no mad need to leave for anything if you are working local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Heathererer

.red. wrote: »
    For rent and costs of living i have no idea, sorry.
    Quality of living tho would be very good. Its a nice small town with every kind of shop you could need. Its got numerous beaches on its doorstep and plenty more within a very short drive. The drive to cork city would probably be about 40/45 mins and about an hour by bus. It has playgrounds, schools, cinemas etc in the town itself so no mad need to leave for anything if you are working local.

Thank you for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hi,to give you current list of properties and rental prices for Clonakilty,see here.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c15&s%5Ba_id%5D=47&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bmnb%5D=&s%5Bmxb%5D=&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=rental

Information on West Cork,see here.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Places-To-Go/westcork

West Cork would be up there with being regarded as one of the nicest parts of Ireland so you are making a good choice.You would have a lot of people from mainland Europe living there for that reason.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I am an American looking to move to Ireland in the next couple of years. Clonakilty is one of a number of areas I am looking at as a possible place to live. Does anyone have any information on the town as far as rent/expenses, things to do, etc.?

Thank you!

I live there so any questions fire away.
    Rent is reasonable a nice 3 bed roomed semi detached will cost about 750 per month. Property is expensive compared to nearby areas.
    There are a lot of great areas for walks / runs etc and the town has a great community spirit. There seems to be a festival of some sorts every few weeks eg. guitar festivals, rallying, board games festivals and recently a banned film festival.

There is ok surfing nearby plenty of beaches etc. Theres a lot of sporting teams and clubs that are well supported including gaelic football and hurling, soccer, rugby, badminton, hockey, triathlon, road bowling and about four coastal rowing clubs.

Pubs and restaurants are very good for its size and the population is fairy diverse for a rural Irish town.

Theres a decent public library in the town.

If you prefer to live in a rural area close to the town id recommend the coastal areas of ardfield and rathbarry. Good community and lovely scenery.

Its a 35 minute drive all going well to the airport or western edge of the city but if you are planning on working in Cork note that it can take a bit of time getting to other areas of the city.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I live there so any questions fire away.
    Rent is reasonable a nice 3 bed roomed semi detached will cost about 750 per month. Property is expensive compared to nearby areas.
    There are a lot of great areas for walks / runs etc and the town has a great community spirit. There seems to be a festival of some sorts every few weeks eg. guitar festivals, rallying, board games festivals and recently a banned film festival.

There is ok surfing nearby plenty of beaches etc. Theres a lot of sporting teams and clubs that are well supported including gaelic football and hurling, soccer, rugby, badminton, hockey, triathlon, road bowling and about four coastal rowing clubs.

Pubs and restaurants are very good for its size and the population is fairy diverse for a rural Irish town.

Theres a decent public library in the town.

If you prefer to live in a rural area close to the town id recommend the coastal areas of ardfield and rathbarry. Good community and lovely scenery.

Its a 35 minute drive all going well to the airport or western edge of the city but if you are planning on working in Cork note that it can take a bit of time getting to other areas of the city.

How is the public transportation? Is it a good place to live if you don't have a car? Thank you for all the great info!

• Advertisement

Public transportation in Ireland outside of major population centers is poor. I have a car so Im not the best one to ask

Heres the timetable for the no 237 cork city to golleen past schul via clonakilty
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1347631434-237.pdf

The only other public transportation is the following

http://www.ruraltransport.ie/timetables-2/friday-timetable/

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Public transportation in Ireland outside of major population centers is poor. I have a car so Im not the best one to ask

Thank you for those links! I know I'm not going to have a car when I first arrive (maybe at the very beginning I'll rent one for a week or so, but that's about it.) I'll need to be in a location where I can walk from my apartment to places like the food store, restaurants, the library. Clonakilty seems to have that from what I've researched and read. Is that wrong?

It has all that and all within easy reach of any accommodation within the town

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hope it's okay to revamp this thread as I couldn't find a more recent one. I've just moved here and wondered how other people are finding it? I love it so far :-)

Advertisement