Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Trades could really kick into gear tonight with all team meeting in NYC for the Draft. It looks like the Rockets are making moves for Lebron. What a team that would be. Harden, Howard and Lebron. That could be a championship team right there,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Trades could really kick into gear tonight with all team meeting in NYC for the Draft. It looks like the Rockets are making moves for Lebron. What a team that would be. Harden, Howard and Lebron. That could be a championship team right there,

They look like they're clearing the decks alright, just need to find someone willing to take Lin and his silly contract for little in exchange and they'll be ready to make an offer to Melo and/ or LeBron

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They look like they're clearing the decks alright, just need to find someone willing to take Lin and his silly contract for little in exchange and they'll be ready to make an offer to Melo and/ or LeBron

NY rumoured to be interested. Seriously!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Asik to the Pelicans for 1st round lick and cash. Everyone's a winner in this one. Rockets get rid of the (unfairly IMO) unwanted Asik and his contract, Pelicans get a big to free up Davis on both ends of the court.

On the Dallas-NY trade, I'm a huge fan of European players as anyone who reads my posts will know but this is a risky trade all round. Calderon is a very weak defender at this level, whilst given how many games Chandler has missed over the last few seasons he's a risk and certainly not the Chandler the Mavs had a few years back. As others have said, Felton is just an add-on to make the deal work (for NY).

The silly season has started! Expect lots of it in the next few days.

When you've watched Raymond Felton being a black hole on offense and defense, Calderon is a massive upgrade. Calderon is a smart cat too, he can adapt to the triangle system I reckon.

Chandler is a big risk for the Mavs, but a risk they had to make. Their window is here and now, one, maybe possibly two years.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    When you've watched Raymond Felton being a black hole on offense and defense, Calderon is a massive upgrade. Calderon is a smart cat too, he can adapt to the triangle system I reckon.

Chandler is a big risk for the Mavs, but a risk they had to make. Their window is here and now, one, maybe possibly two years.

Oh yeah, not debating that he's not an upgrade, just saying he's not a good defender at this level; offensively he's quite smart, above average basketball IQ.

In hindsight, they really should never have let Chandler go after the championship. I found that a very strange move at the time, it was essentially saying we're one and done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Cali Angry Roller-skate

this is a loooooooooooong shot more a celtics fantasy to be honest but would be win win win win for everybody

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/6/25/5840148/boston-celtics-help-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-parker-wiggins-nba-draft-rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

this is a loooooooooooong shot more a celtics fantasy to be honest but would be win win win win for everybody

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/6/25/5840148/boston-celtics-help-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-parker-wiggins-nba-draft-rumor

That is one optimistic set of ifs, buts and maybes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There's about as much chance of me playing in the NBA next year as there is of LeBron playing anywhere but Miami IMO. I'm worried Melo might end up in Houston though, but could you imagine him and Harden trying to lock down on defense in the 4th quarter of a close game :pac:

That is one optimistic set of ifs, buts and maybes

:D I did say it was a long shot

BrD9IMbCMAEjp0_.png:large

Nice.

• Advertisement

As a Celtics fan, I'd love to see that happen, but it won't. :( Everyone knows LeJon is going to Indiana. :D

Nice.

Very nice.

Paully D wrote: »
    There's about as much chance of me playing in the NBA next year as there is of LeBron playing anywhere but Miami IMO. I'm worried Melo might end up in Houston though, but could you imagine him and Harden trying to lock down on defense in the 4th quarter of a close game :pac:

Posted about this a few weeks ago - Melo in Houston would be farcical in close games with him, Harden and Howard all fighting for the ball glory. Absolutely farcical.

Nice.

Sure is. Is that a honeycomb pattern on the floor, Very cool

Rumour of Rondo to Sacramento for the 8th pick :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now that's sending a message to Celtics fans (and players) if that happens. Giving a lot away there Danny Ainge.

DONE DEAL: Afflalo to the Nuggets for Fournier and the 56th pick. Considering Chicago and others have been after him he's gone fairly cheaply there IMO.

Debating whether to stay up for the craziness or just go to bed and wake up to :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Decisions, decisions, decisions…..

Rumour of Rondo to Sacramento for the 8th pick :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now that's sending a message to Celtics fans (and players) if that happens. Giving a lot away there Danny Ainge.

DONE DEAL: Afflalo to the Nuggets for Fournier and the 56th pick. Considering Chicago and others have been after him he's gone fairly cheaply there IMO.

ya iv heard tha going back a week or so now i guess it will be telling if they trade rondo there going in for the long rebuild but didn't rondo tell celtics fans to expect fireworks during the week can't imagine he would be saying that unless he was remaining a part of it.

From above.

5l5uno.jpg

Would it not be silly for the Celtics to trade Rondo for a #8 pick or some such as is being rumored? He's proven he can win a title as part of a team, he lights up in the playoffs, is a multiple time all-star and is still relatively young. To me, it would seem that the Celtics already have a key piece of their rebuild in place with Rondo, or at the very least one that doesn't need to be replaced. I think they'd be trading just for the sake of doing so if they were to give him up for a #8 pick for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Gotta say, the Hornets new court does look amazing:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would it not be silly for the Celtics to trade Rondo for a #8 pick or some such as is being rumored? He's proven he can win a title as part of a team, he lights up in the playoffs, is a multiple time all-star and is still relatively young. To me, it would seem that the Celtics already have a key piece of their rebuild in place with Rondo, or at the very least one that doesn't need to be replaced. I think they'd be trading just for the sake of doing so if they were to give him up for a #8 pick for example.

I dunno really. He's a good player but Boston doesn't look like it's going to attract any marquee free agents any time soon. Their last championship winning team was built off trades. I just don't think they have the assets to rebuild a team in that way again. The no.8 pick could be a big step in getting there naturally.

With that pick Boston could theoretically take Embiid number 8 and then Saric at no.17. Neither would play this year and that would leave Boston with a top pick next year and a potential star trio in 3 years time when Saric comes over from Europe. A long shot but I'm sure there's some element of long term strategy in this.

I dunno really. He's a good player but Boston doesn't look like it's going to attract any marquee free agents any time soon. Their last championship winning team was built off trades. I just don't think they have the assets to rebuild a team in that way again. The no.8 pick could be a big step in getting there naturally.

With that pick Boston could theoretically take Embiid number 8 and then Saric at no.17. Neither would play this year and that would leave Boston with a top pick next year and a potential star trio in 3 years time when Saric comes over from Europe. A long shot but I'm sure there's some element of long term strategy in this.

Boston also gave the 6 pick don't forget.

It's all about long rebuild vs quick rebuild if we don't get a good team together in the next two years rondo will leave anyway. Any trade iv seen has had Isaiah Thomas in it as well as the 8th pick at the very least they get a capable pg back plus the ability to get a long term piece.

The only reason I can see them trading is if they don't think he will resign

Cavs clearing out more cap space, sending small forward Alonzo Gee to the Charlotte Hornets for center Brendan Haywood and rookie forward Dwight Powell. A second round pick from Charlotte is also being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So where are Melo & LeBron going to end up?

Any chance of Melo coming back to NY

HigginsJ wrote: »

To me, LeBron's best option right now is staying in Miami but it rely depends if Bosh and Wade opts out (the latter won't imo). The Heat traded for Shabazz in the draft as he was LeBron's choice and he can replace Chalmers. However, the Cavs are gearing up to make a run for him (I'm not being biast here being a Cavs fan). The prospect of returning home (LeBron's wife loves/prefers Ohio) and the Cavs being a young team with plenty of cap space for more players, along with LeBron, is a major point. Another point on Cleveland is that Kevin Love has said that he'd be in Cleveland for the long run if LeBron returned

On Melo, he has a ton of options open, the obvious has to be Chicago. Working under Thibs, having Noah as the big man and D Rose at the 1, the team that has a genuine chance of winning it all (if they stay healthy). A long chance that's beginning to pick up a big of steam is a move back west and on to LA and the Lakers. Kobe said he'd meet with Melo and sell the Lakers plan to him to get him to join. I can't see Melo going back to NY. After trading Chandler and Felton off to the Mavs, the Knicks are gonna be in rebuilding mode and I can't see Melo going into that.

HigginsJ wrote: »

LeBron will stay in Miami without a shadow of doubt IMO.

Melo's a tough one to call. The Knicks will cave and offer him a max if necessary, which will I'm sure will be extremely tempting for him regardless of the fact their in rebuild mode, however, all the reports are suggesting he wants to go to a side where he can win now so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. That would rule out the Lakers too. Mavericks are just kicking tires by even getting a meeting IMO.

It's between Chicago and Houston for Melo if you were to ask me and best case scenario for the Knicks will be hoping to get both into a sign-and-trade bidding war for his services. I'm biased, but I feel the Bulls would be a better option than Houston. Aside from the fact the East is a far weaker conference and thus creates a much better opportunity for getting to the Finals, he won't have to battle as much for shots in Chicago as, apart from Rose there's no-one else.

I'm usually quite pessimistic when it comes to anything to do with the Bulls front office. They're one of the top 3 franchises per Forbes, yet the owner ****s himself over paying a bit of luxury tax and they haven't signed a top free agent in God knows how long. However, I'm really starting to think that a) Melo will leave the money on the table and b) the Bulls might actually pull this one off. Interestingly, Vegas odds on Melo's next team are: Bulls 2/5, Knicks 13/5, Rockets 5/1, Heat 6/1, Mavericks 15/1, Lakers 20/1.

I'll no doubt end up disappointed and wrong (:pac:), but LeBron to stay in Miami and Melo to go to Chicago for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Thanks guys.

The Kings have signed 7ft5 Center Sim Bhullar. Bhullar is Indian-Canadian and attended New Mexico State University. If he ever plays, He will be the tallest player in the NBA and the joint 5th tallest player ever to play in the NBA.

• Advertisement

The Houston Rockets have officially declined to pick up Chandler Parsons' player option, making him a restricted free agent, according to Yahoo! Sports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement