Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

News from ESPN, Brian Windhorst

Lebron James will except nothing less than the maximum $22.2 million he can receive next season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11156634/lebron-james-miami-heat-wants-maximum-salary
    I think we can all agree it's what he deserves.

Yeah I wrote about this very issue. LeBron took a paycut to win championships and join with the big 3 when Wade was considered more or less on par with him and Bosh was thought to be better than he ended up being. LeBron is now a mile ahead of the other 2, and deserves to be payed as such.

I wrote about this a few days ago, if anyone is interested. http://www.punditarena.com/basketball/comahony/why-lebron-james-was-right-to-opt-out-of-miami-heat-contract/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    I know he has made his stance clear and I can somewhat understand his reasoning, but I really wish Derrick Rose would help the Bulls to recruit. I think his refusal to do so could make top free agents (i.e., Melo) a bit put off as it gives off the vibe of "this is my team and I don't want you around."

When you're on a $100m for five years and have (though not his fault) barely seen the court in two of those, surely sitting in on a meeting with a top free agent isn't that much of a sacrifice to make? The most frustrating thing is that the Bulls need to get someone like Melo on board or Rose just isn't going to beat Miami. He should be begging him to come to Chicago FFS.

You know for sure that Kobe will be all over Melo when they meet, as will Dirk and Chandler when he goes to Dallas and Howard and Haren (no D :pac:) in Houston. It might just be something small like that which swings his decision.

It doesn’t bother me much. I kinda think if you want to do that great, if you don’t, no big deal. It’s not everyone’s style to do it, and if it’s not something they want to do, don’t push them to do it. Derrick’s personality has always been to let his game do the talking. Someone like Kobe’s a bit different, who likes to use words as well as actions.

Similarly from Melo’s side, I wouldn’t feel insulted if Rose isn’t coming to pitch to me. It’s not his job, we know what Derrick stands for, and I think if you know him, which I’m sure Melo does, you know he’d be a good team-mate. Apparently Noah and Gibson are meeting with him anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I know he has made his stance clear and I can somewhat understand his reasoning, but I really wish Derrick Rose would help the Bulls to recruit. I think his refusal to do so could make top free agents (i.e., Melo) a bit put off as it gives off the vibe of "this is my team and I don't want you around."

When you're on a $100m for five years and have (though not his fault) barely seen the court in two of those, surely sitting in on a meeting with a top free agent isn't that much of a sacrifice to make? The most frustrating thing is that the Bulls need to get someone like Melo on board or Rose just isn't going to beat Miami. He should be begging him to come to Chicago FFS.

You know for sure that Kobe will be all over Melo when they meet, as will Dirk and Chandler when he goes to Dallas and Howard and Haren (no D :pac:) in Houston. It might just be something small like that which swings his decision.

To be fair, Rose's own status in this league is uncertain. His own career hangs in the balance over his injuries

The Brooklyn Nets lost $144m last season.

According to Grantland's Zach Lowe,

"The basketball side of the Nets' business is projected to have lost $144 million over the 2013-14 season, according to a confidential memo the league sent to all 30 teams in early June.

The NBA expects nine teams will end up having lost money once luxury-tax distribution and revenue-sharing payments are finalized. The Nets, with that monster $144 million figure, are the biggest losers. Next in line? The Wizards, with projected losses of about $13 million. That's right: The Nets lost $131 million more than any other NBA team last season. This is what happens when you pay $90 million in luxury tax for an aging roster and play in a market so large you are ineligible to receive any revenue-sharing help"

Kyrie Irving has been given a max contract by the Cavs, $90 million for 5 years. In other news Jameer Nelson has been waived by Orlando.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The Nets story is actually hilarious. Prokhorov probably still doesn't care that much despite rumors of belt tightening. The Wizards lost $13 million which was the second most behind Brooklyn. The fact that they could lost $130 million more than the nearest team is just making a mockery of the leagues rules. More info here

Hats off to Zach Lowe on really going to town on Jason Kidd and The Bucks.
    Kidd struck like a cobra, demanding a job title that would have put him above Billy King, the team’s general manager — an insane power grab for a guy barely a year removed from bricking 3-pointer after 3-pointer for the Knicks. Kidd had undermined others before — Byron Scott, Lawrence Frank (twice), his coach at Cal. He demanded trades, (allegedly) faked an illness, and more. He has a touch of the Machiavellian in him.

But Machiavelli was rational. Kidd would seem to lack any understanding of his place in the world if he truly believes himself worthy of the kind of dual role Doc Rivers, Stan Van Gundy, and (to a degree) Gregg Popovich worked their whole lives to get. This was the equivalent of Jordan Crawford saying he might be better than Michael Jordan.

The Nets story is actually hilarious. Prokhorov probably still doesn't care that much despite rumors of belt tightening. The Wizards lost $13 million which was the second most behind Brooklyn. The fact that they could lost $130 million more than the nearest team is just making a mockery of the leagues rules. More info here

According to one article I read today Prokhorov made $10 million this morning a $100 million last week. I doubt losing $144 million really keeps him up at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/01/report-heat-express-significant-interest-in-luol-deng/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Noooooooooooo :( This would be like seeing your ex get with someone better :pac:

dde30781c52559b90c439995aefb0b21.png
    It seems Deng’s suitors are growing by the minute.

The Heat would be an interesting fit. Deng is good enough that the big three might consider a pay cut. He’s a reliable defender, and his 3-point shooting would help space the floor. With LeBron playing more and more power forward, Deng would be an excellent fit.

The rest of the suitors are the usual suspects also chasing LeBron and/or Carmelo Anthony. I bet a lot of teams view Deng as the consolation prize.

If someone makes an early decision to bow out of the LeBron/Melo sweepstakes early, that team could get the inside track on Deng while everyone else waits out the superstars. In that sense, the Heat have a real advantage, because they can make a play for Deng while remaining in contention for LeBron, because only they can re-sign LeBron.

Beyond Miami, I find the Bulls’ interest particularly intriguing. I wonder how Deng feels about Chicago banishing him to Cleveland for half a season. If he gets over it, that could be a good fit. Deng and the Bulls clicked well for so many years already.

I think he'd be a very good pickup for the Heat for the reasons outlined in the above article (though his 3 point shooting has got progressively worse over the last few years). He has always been one of the most underrated players in the league. He'd be a very good acquisition for them.

Adrian Wojnarowski. Clarification: Indiana has its full mid-level of $5.3M to use for free agent C.J. Miles, or to use in part with another player

• Advertisement

Bosh taking $11m for his first year of his new deal, Wade $12m per CBS. Hell of a paycut for both, I didn't expect them to take that much less, though presuming LeBron gets his max or near max, it does reflect the playing situation at the Heat accurately (though Wade won't be having a $12m type of impact).

They're also telling free agents they have ~$12m to spend and have targeted Lowry and Gortat per ESPN. Not a whole lot of money, but they could still sign a couple of decent impact guys and fill the rest of their roster with minimums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Jodie Meeks to the Pistons for 18 mill over 3 years. Vastly overpaid for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

stuchyg wrote: »
    Jodie Meeks to the Pistons for 18 mill over 3 years. Vastly overpaid for me
    Not like the Pistons to give out daft contracts. :rolleyes:

I like Meeks, he's a great shooter but he's not worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Bosh taking $11m for his first year of his new deal, Wade $12m per CBS. Hell of a paycut for both, I didn't expect them to take that much less, though presuming LeBron gets his max or near max, it does reflect the playing situation at the Heat accurately (though Wade won't be having a $12m type of impact).
    Agent Henry Thomas, on report clients Bosh & Wade will take $12M/per & $11M/per, respectively: "all the BS you are reading is just that."

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/statuses/484078698899857408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

NufcNavan wrote: »

Agreed and apparently it's closer to 20 mill.

Gortat stays in Washington per John Wall on Twitter.

The money is reportedly 5 years/$60m fully guaranteed. A bit crazy from the Wizards giving him that many years guaranteed given his age, but I guess they wanted to fend off the competition.

Gortat stays in Washington per John Wall on Twitter.

The money is reportedly 5 years/$60m fully guaranteed. A bit crazy from the Wizards giving him that many years guaranteed given his age, but I guess they wanted to fend off the competition.
    Big men get paid.

I'd say that deal is about right. He was the best big man in the Pacers Wiz series.

Nets PG Shawn Livingston to the Warriors, 3 years $16m.

Brian Windhorst: ESPN

Kyle Lowry will take some time to consider options. Raptors, Rockets & Lakers are bidders, sources said. Heat have not progressed talks

Crushing blow for Patty Mills, out for 7 months with shoulder injury. He really established himself as a very talented point guard, and was going to get payed this summer with the knicks and others interested. My guess now is that the spurs sign him to a low paying contract.

• Advertisement

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/1/5863262/carmelo-anthonys-chicago-visit-included-a-derrick-rose-workout?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=NBA%20National%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=GMIB%207%2F2%2F2014
    30 minutes of Derrick Rose doing pump fakes and spin moves on an otherwise empty court, shooting jumpers, pretending to take charges, and working up a heavy sweat while Melo thumbs his phone, looking up occasionally.This in't bizarre at all.

buyer95 wrote: »
    http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/1/5863262/carmelo-anthonys-chicago-visit-included-a-derrick-rose-workout?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=NBA%20National%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=GMIB%207%2F2%2F2014
    30 minutes of Derrick Rose doing pump fakes and spin moves on an otherwise empty court, shooting jumpers, pretending to take charges, and working up a heavy sweat while Melo thumbs his phone, looking up occasionally.This in't bizarre at all.

The "30 minutes of Rose doing moves while Melo thumbs his phone" part was a joke from the writer of what he imagined took place. He had a tour of the United Centre and practice facilities etc, went to a pitch with the front office, met with Rose and watched his workout and then went for dinner with the front office, Thibs, Noah and Gibson.

I'm glad to see that Rose was involved in the pitch anyway and Rose showing that he was able to move freely etc won't have done any harm at all.

The "30 minutes of Rose doing moves while Melo thumbs his phone" part was a joke from the writer of what he imagined took place. He had a tour of the United Centre and practice facilities etc, went to a pitch with the front office, met with Rose and watched his workout and then went for dinner with the front office, Thibs, Noah and Gibson.

I'm glad to see that Rose was involved in the pitch anyway and Rose showing that he was able to move freely etc won't have done any harm at all.

I know, but I thought it was a good parody of the incident, hardly believed that Rose was taking charges against no one as Melo watched on(or 'thumbed his fone!'.
    It a faintly ridiculous scenario. I mean what are you going to learn from looking at a Rose hoist a few jumpers do some dribbling and sprints? Obviously Rose is putting the work in, but the fact is we won't know what the new version of Rose is going to look like after 2 severe injuries.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Detroit overpaid by a fair bit, but I suppose they have to to get anyone to move to that dump. I did manage to watch more Lakers games than I imagined I would last season and tbh, Meeks was the one consistently good player throughout the team. Plus he will fit right into Stan's system. Probably need another shooter still.

Chuffed for Livingston. Very nice pick up for the Warriors and will offer something different from the Curry - Blake combo during the Playoffs. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving player as well. Glad to see he has worked himself back into earning a nice contract after his devastating injury. He was one of Brooklyn's most consistent players. With Blake being an unrestricted free agent, some team out there will pick up a good back up PG.

Likewise Gortat, though I think 5 years was a couple years too much given his age. The added bonus though is it prevents another FA of signing with Miami :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Livingston is a great pick up for the Warriors.....decent defender, too. Maybe makes Klay a bit more expendable.

Doug Thonus has an opinion piece on the workout:
    Derrick Rose working out for Carmelo Anthony is great news regardless of Anthony

Cool that Derrick did it, this has to be the #1 concern for Melo about going to Chicago. A workout doesn't prove everything, but better than hearing second hand that he'll be ok.

One of the interesting parts of Thonus' article I thought was this:
    Gortat getting $60m/5years also shows how much of a players market this free agency period is. There's 20 teams with massive cap space, and bidding wars are going to get crazy. We were mocking Luol Deng in February for laughing at the Bulls 3/10 extension offer, but right now?

This makes someone like Melo better value than normal....if the market's inflated, and average players are getting paid big, superstars will be relatively better value, as their salary is capped.

In a similar vein, from @RealGM:
    "Lance Stephenson is worth $8.8M per season when Avery Bradley just got $8M?"

Seems like Lance is considerably more valuable than Bradley, wonder how much he gets?

He's been offered 44/5, which is probably about right, but apparently him and his agent want more and are currently looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NufcNavan wrote: »

joe-dumars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The Brooklyn Nets have reached an agreement in principle with Lionel Hollins to become the team's new head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement