Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

padraig_f wrote: »
    Gordon Hayward's max is why the Bulls should jump on Lance Stephenson

I've come round a bit on Lance I have to say. Thought he was good in this playoffs, with David West, probably the best performer on the Pacers.

Some of his antics that grabbed the headlines didn't bother me, I thought he actually showed a good attitude in wanting to win. I'd rather see this than someone who was well-behaved, but shrunk when the playoffs came.

Wouldn't want to pay $15m, but if you got him for around $10m, I wouldn't mind.
    They must feel good about melo if theve not gone for another shooter yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cavs are close to offloading Jarret Jack to the Nets which I think would give them the room to offer LeBron a max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Paully D wrote: »
    Cavs are close to offloading Jarret Jack to the Nets which I think would give them the room to offer LeBron a max.

It's a 3 team deal via Marc Stein:

Three-team trade will see Nets acquire Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev from Cleveland. Boston gets Thornton, Zeller and a first round pick from Cleveland

That would leave Cleveland with around $24 million free in cap space *tries not to get hopes up*

Paully D wrote: »

And they just traded zeller to the celtics who could they beaming cap room for?

Edit: beaten to it

Surely Cleveland wouldn't be doing this if they didn't know exactly what happens next? I haven't been following the Cavaliers much if I'm honest so maybe they've been shopping these guys before LeBron coming back this summer was even being spoken about and would have done it anyway, but if not.....

Maybe they're just lining up room for 2015 or to acquire some new guys not named LeBron this summer, but if I'm a Cavaliers fan I have to admit I'd be getting very, very excited.

I still see him staying in Miami though!

• Advertisement

We were shopping Dion around for the end of last season and wanted to move Jack on at the start of the post season. We also have 3 1st round picks to play around with if needs be. It's now crystal clear this is the real deal to get LeBron back, no way would we be doing this trade otherwise. We now can offer the max contract to LeBron. I know I said I wouldn't but I'm genuinely exciting by this now, he could be coming home!

@ESPNSteinLine 14s
    My man @Chris_Broussard reports that Cavs, in addition to clearing space for their LeBron pursuit, also after Ray Allen to appeal to Bron

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Cavs ship Jack to Nets and Zeller to Celtics in three-team deal.

also gives the celtics 2 first rounders next year (3 if philly somehow are not a lottery team)
    2 in 2016
    swap rights with the nets in 2017
    and 2 in 2018
    and clevelands waterer year that is (which seems to be a guaranteed no 1 overall given how the last few years have gone :D )

and more 2nd rounders again (for all there worth)

plenty of flexibility and also a real live centre

cavs have to know there getting james now not even dan gilbert is stupid enough to not make sure of that first. may throw a few bob on them now

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1m
    Sources: Cavs pursuing Mike Miller

New rumour going around is Cavs are looking trading Wiggins for K Love. Tbh, not really sure how I feel on that. I'd love K Love but I don't wanna see Wiggins go without even playing a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Advertisement

If not LeBron, it'll be Parsons according to the usual suspects in the media.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

That Wiggins for Love trade would be horrendous.

That Wiggins for Love trade would be horrendous.

The major point is do you trade a star in the making in Wiggins for a star right now in K Love? From what I'm reading on the Cavs side, it's a yes for it but I'd rather trade Dion/Bennett and maybe a first round pick for K Love to test the TWolves. That way, we play Wiggins at 2; Minny gets a 2 guard that you can build around and a #1 pick in Bennett that's in great shape now, along with a 1st rounder to help in rebuilding

The major point is do you trade a star in the making in Wiggins for a star right now in K Love? From what I'm reading on the Cavs side, it's a yes for it but I'd rather trade Dion/Bennett and maybe a first round pick for K Love to test the TWolves. That way, we play Wiggins at 2; Minny gets a 2 guard that you can build around and a #1 pick in Bennett that's in great shape now, along with a 1st rounder to help in rebuilding

If LeBron wants Kevin Love you go and get Kevin Love. That's the way I'd be looking at it. Love will also definitely resign with Cleveland if LeBron is there and then you've got a core trio of Irving, LeBron and Love. Mouthwatering.

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal losing Wiggins. He's a star in the making for sure, but in the making is exactly what it is. Love is a star. It's also not as if the Cavaliers would be losing him for nothing. They'd be getting one of the top players in the league back in exchange! If it's the difference between getting LeBron or not anyone would be crazy not to do it.

LeBron and his agent are meeting with Riley and the Heat GM at 6pm ET, so 11pm GMT. The meeting was called by LeBron's agent. No matter what he decides to do, we should have a much clearer picture tomorrow morning or in the early hours. Exciting stuff. I hope you get him back mate.

I've never seen a team go for a player like we've gone for LeBron right now. Tbh, whatever happens, I'm proud of the effort we're showing. Whatever the media says, Cleveland won't come out of this embarrassed if LeBron doesn't join.

It's either he joins the up and coming Cavs that can pay the max salary, can still add more players for depth (Ray Ray and Miller) and should be in the Title picture for years to come or he stays with the Heat, gets paid the max salary and goes for the Title now with, imo, a weaker roster than they had last year. It's in LeBron's court right now and I just hope he comes home.

Jorge Sedano of ESPN posted the below.

I know he and his family go back to Akron for the summer anyway so LeBron may move his cars too, but it's interesting nonetheless with all that is going on.

c646b0c7c5fb5d3b58ab39a30eadd5ce.png

Looks like Melo is staying a Knick

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/carmelo-return-knicks-win-new-york-article-1.1860680
    Carmelo Anthony is prepared to spend the prime years of his career in New York, the Daily News has learned.

A person close to Anthony told The News on Wednesday that barring a last minute change of heart Anthony will re-sign with the Knicks after "agonizing over this" for the past week.

"He will have something for everybody on Thursday," said the friend who was with Anthony before Anthony's scheduled workout with Kevin Durant and Kevin Love in Los Angeles on Wednesday. "He is really torn because this is the biggest decision of his career. But he wants to get it done in New York. He told me he believes in Phil."

Players can begin signing free agent contracts on Thursday and the deal on the table from the Knicks is a max contract worth $129 million over five years. The Lakers have also offered Anthony a max deal over four years while the Chicago Bulls would have to orchestrate a sign-and-trade in order for Anthony to receive close to a max contract.

Anthony, who throughout the season was steadfast in saying that he wanted to remain in New York, was intrigued by moving west and joining Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles. He also believed that he would be joining a championship contender in Chicago.

But ultimately, Anthony's heart is in New York where his family is comfortable and where he confident that Jackson can return the club to prominence.

Anthony's friend says that Anthony prolonging his decision is not a reflection of him having second thoughts about the Knicks. Instead, it was Anthony wanting to be sure that he could put himself in position to win a championship.

Although the Knicks still have to make significant upgrades to improve the roster, Anthony is pleased by the addition of point guard Jose Calderon, whom the Knicks acquired from the Mavs on draft night. Once Anthony re-signs, Jackson will continue his pursuit of Lakers free agent Pau Gasol, who is friends with his Spanish national team teammate Calderon.

Melo to be returning to the Knicks, he'll make an announcement tomorrow according to the NYDN.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Melo to be returning to the Knicks, he'll make an announcement tomorrow according to the NYDN.

Timing man!!:cool:

Ethan J. Skolnick @EthanJSkolnick
    I can say this now, unequivocally: LeBron James moves his cars every summer.

Writer for the HEAT.

__

Pop has signed a 2 year extension.

• Advertisement

Woj: Cavaliers are pursuing a Kevin Love trade with Minnesota, contingent on the signing of LeBron James, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

I'm speechless

Woj bomb.

I can't blame him at all with that sort of money on the line.

The Bulls miss out on yet another pursuit of a top free agent to bring it to about 784 times in a row that they've done that now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Well thank God for that. Melo leaving would have meant a total rebuild, I see no reason why we can't make the playoffs next season maybe sneak into the 2nd round, and then next summer chase a big free agent.

Pop signing an extension is good news for basketball fans who like to watch the game played as it is meant to be played. I look forward to many more years of Pop.

LeBron to the Cavs is starting to get interesting. While I still feel the most likely scenario is him remaining, if Bosh demands big money from Riley after getting that massive offer from Houston then we could see LBJ bolting. How fun would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

That report about Melo is from a NY tabloid, with no-one else confirming it, and says basically "unless he changes his mind".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Anti climax :(

Hope LeBron/Riley didn't watch the Argentina/Holland game during their meeting now, his decision won't be in for weeks after that

@TheNBACentral: REPORT: The Mavericks and Chandler Parsons have agreed on a 3-year $45M offer sheet.

Ya know when yer bored of waiting and just looking at a story to put up.....:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/07/lebron-james-kyrie-irving-tristan-thompson-la-familia-twitter
    It's now Day 9 of the 2014 NBA free agency period. And we still don't know where LeBron James is going to sign this summer. So at the moment, there is a ton of speculation about his future, and it's getting a little bit out of hand. Er, make that really out of hand.

Case in point, there are some people on Twitter who are convinced that LeBron is headed back to Cleveland right now because of something that is in his Twitter bio. Yes, his Twitter bio.

You see, he has the words "Amongst La Familia" in his Twitter bio and while that in and of itself isn't really a big deal—it appears as though he's had "Amongst La Familia" in his Twitter bio for quite some time now—people are making it a big deal because there are two members of the Cavaliers who also have the words "La Familia" in their Twitter bios, too. Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson have it listed in their Twitter bio.

Do you think people are looking too deeply into the players' Twitter bios? Or is there something to this speculation? Either way, it's safe to say that LeBron needs to make a decision very, very, very soon before these rumors get even more out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

@TheNBACentral: REPORT: The Mavericks and Chandler Parsons have agreed on a 3-year $45M offer sheet.

Bloody hell, can't see Houston matching that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement