Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Dominoes falling quickly now. Deng talking to Miami, won't bother me as much if he goes there, now that Lebron has left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

buyer95 wrote: »
    Dare2defy, you will enjoy this. Great piece http://grantland.com/features/god-loves-cleveland/

Excellent read, love Simmons work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Bosh clearly wanted the payday. Had he been chasing rings he'd have signed with Heuston.

The issue with the Cavs is support for Lebron. If they get Love, you'd have to think they'll go to the finals in their first year out. Love is a hard working unit who will control the boards and stretch the oppositions defence inside/out. It'll provide better balance (compared to the big 3 in Miami) to have a solid (enough ... if he learns to play D) PG running things but it will all depend on what they have to give up to get Love.

To add, Melo will probably take the Knicks money too. I just don't think he's in it to win, a bit like Dwight.. all talk but will eventually take the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Only got to post my views now, was busy earlier and was at the Drogheda United game earlier, supporting your local team and all that!

Anyway, love the letter from Lebron. Takes a man to admit he needed to grow up. Well done.

Also he basically lit $40 million of Wade's money on fire, so that's pretty amazing too.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Are Indiana local too?

• Advertisement

Zach Lowe surveying the landscape after today's big news went down. Good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Allen to The Cavs is almost done, LeBron has told Griffin he wants James Jones also. Mike Miller also a possibility, he has cancelled talks with The Nuggets and wishes to join Cleveland, per Fox Sports Sam Amico. LeBron is bringing all his favourite spot up shooters with him it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Just woke up and I see Jordan Hill and Swaggy P have re-signed with LA. Feck the LeBron news, this is my cup of tea :) Wasn't expecting Hill to come back at all. Dumping D'Antoni played a big part I imagine.

Wiggins v Parker in the Summer League right now if anyone cares about that

:pac:

Bs_Uyz9b_CYAAs_BJ5.jpg

• Advertisement

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Bosh clearly wanted the payday. Had he been chasing rings he'd have signed with Heuston.

The issue with the Cavs is support for Lebron. If they get Love, you'd have to think they'll go to the finals in their first year out. Love is a hard working unit who will control the boards and stretch the oppositions defence inside/out. It'll provide better balance (compared to the big 3 in Miami) to have a solid (enough ... if he learns to play D) PG running things but it will all depend on what they have to give up to get Love.

To add, Melo will probably take the Knicks money too. I just don't think he's in it to win, a bit like Dwight.. all talk but will eventually take the money.

i think lebron has a far far far better supporting cast in Cleveland he's gone from a team that he had to drag to the playoffs (oh the irony in that) to a team that can rest him all regular season should they want

i know its not to the same extent cavs fans did it but lebron brought the heat two titles where do they get off burning his jersey:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Vince Carter has signed with the Grizz

i know its not to the same extent cavs fans did it but lebron brought the heat two titles where do they get off burning his jersey:confused:

I was wondering what the reaction would be from Heat fans, but wouldn't pay too much attention to jersey burning. I think you'll always get some attention-seeker to do that. A more interesting reaction will be from the crowd when he goes back to Miami as a Cavs player.

Bill Simmons says there should be a 5 year grace period after winning a championship (Rules for being a true fan):
    12. After your team wins a championship, they immediately get a five-year grace period: You can't complain about anything that happens with your team (trades, draft picks, salary-cap cuts, coaching moves) for five years. There are no exceptions. For instance, the Pats could finish 0-80 over the next five years and I wouldn't say a peep. That's just the way it is. You win the Super Bowl, you go on cruise control for five years. Everything else is gravy.

So I don't think they should complain, but it's Heat fans, so you don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can't believe Bosh took the money to stay in Miami when joining Houston would have put him in a much better position to win. Says a lot about the guy, though in fairness, this attitude seems to be more common with today's players. Houston have messed up this off season big time if they fail to land a marquee player to complement the existing roster with all the room they had, the players and picks they've traded to end up with nada would make them look very foolish.

Great news for Cleveland and the league in general that LeJon is going home. As things stand I don't think they win the East, but if they land Love I think they do. Now if Melo and the rest of the players left would stop messing about and make a decision we'd be able to fully concentrate on next season.....which would be nice! :D

Can't believe Bosh took the money to stay in Miami when joining Houston would have put him in a much better position to win. Says a lot about the guy, though in fairness, this attitude seems to be more common with today's players. Houston have messed up this off season big time if they fail to land a marquee player to complement the existing roster with all the room they had, the players and picks they've traded to end up with nada would make them look very foolish.

Great news for Cleveland and the league in general that LeJon is going home. As things stand I don't think they win the East, but if they land Love I think they do. Now if Melo and the rest of the players left would stop messing about and make a decision we'd be able to fully concentrate on next season.....which would be nice! :D

In boshs defense an extra 30 mil and the chance to live in Miami is huge and he already has 2 rings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

They've already messed it up now anyway.

In terms of the players they had a realistic shot in getting (i.e., not LeBron) Bosh was arguably (well, it's between him and Melo) the best free agent on the market and they've failed to get him. Anyone else now is going to feel like a massive disappointment. In addition to that they let Parsons become a free agent a year earlier than they had to and will now have to overpay to keep him from Dallas.

Houston are winning sweet **** all with Harden and McHale, tbf.

I don't blame Bosh for staying with Miami. He's potentially going be the focus of their offense now like in his Raptors days instead of being a spot up shooter with LeBron, that + money and loaction + Harden and McHale being idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Houston are winning sweet **** all with Harden and McHale, tbf.

I don't blame Bosh for staying with Miami. He's potentially going be the focus of their offense now like in his Raptors days instead of being a spot up shooter with LeBron, that + money and loaction + Harden and McHale being idiots.

my thoughts exactly.
    He'll have a new lease of life playing the 4.

Houston going nowhere until they play some defense, which is not happening with Harden.

Bulls and Gasol nearing a deal, apparently. Just hope this isn't the only big signing, need wing scoring. Got some options anyway...

@KCJHoop: "As @EricPincus said, Bulls can get to $9M for Gasol S&T w/ Dunleavy and non-guaranteeds. Leaves Boozer in play for S&T or amnesty/cap space."

@KCJHoop: "One realistic scenario: Bulls miss on Melo, acquire Gasol in S&T, amnesty Boozer and use cap space to address wing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yeah I get all that on Bosh, but it's not like this is his first contract. He already has a bazillion dollars in the bank so does the extra make all that much difference in the greater scheme of things long term? Despite the defensive deficiencies of Harden, Bosh at the 4 there would have been a big addition and given Houston a very strong starting 5. Staying in Miami is effectively saying "I'm happy with 2" - and sure, a lot of guys would be happy with 1 but come on, nosh was not what delivered Miami those 2 championships, it was LeJon. Anyone remember Bosh's points total from Game 7 2013? 0.

It'll be hard for him to be the go to guy now after playing 3rd fiddle for 4 years - particularly mentally but also physically. If he can get back to the 20 and 10 guy that was in Toronto with Miami that would be a huge achievement. Just think the Houston situation was perfect for him.

Yeah I get all that on Bosh, but it's not like this is his first contract. He already has a bazillion dollars in the bank so does the extra make all that much difference in the greater scheme of things long term? Despite the defensive deficiencies of Harden, Bosh at the 4 there would have been a big addition and given Houston a very strong starting 5. Staying in Miami is effectively saying "I'm happy with 2" - and sure, a lot of guys would be happy with 1 but come on, nosh was not what delivered Miami those 2 championships, it was LeJon. Anyone remember Bosh's points total from Game 7 2013? 0.

It'll be hard for him to be the go to guy now after playing 3rd fiddle for 4 years - particularly mentally but also physically. If he can get back to the 20 and 10 guy that was in Toronto with Miami that would be a huge achievement. Just think the Houston situation was perfect for him.

May not just be the money. He's probably thinking if he goes to Houston, he's 3rd string again. On the Heat, he's almost the main man now, so that probably appeals to him.

Wojbomb :(

WojYahooNBA: Just a matter of hours until Carmelo Anthony informs the Knicks of his return on a five-year deal, as @FisolaNYDN reported this week.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Wojbomb :(

WojYahooNBA: Just a matter of hours until Carmelo Anthony informs the Knicks of his return on a five-year deal, as @FisolaNYDN reported this week.

He won't be winning anything there but it would be almost impossible for anyone to leave that sort of money on the table. He also gets to stay with his home town team and his family are happy there.

Woj also reported the Bulls and Pau are trying to get a deal done now.

Paully D wrote: »
    He won't be winning anything there but it would be almost impossible for anyone to leave that sort of money on the table. He also gets to stay with his home town team and his family are happy there.

Woj also reported the Bulls and Pau are trying to get a deal done now.

I was hoping with the sign-and trade, they could get closer to the Knicks' figure, but not to be.

If we get Gasol and then use Boozer's salary to get a decent wing like Stephenson, I'll still be happy enough.

Opens the way for Mirotic now too, so not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Bosh would of been crazy to turn that contract down, if you are happy living somewhere why on earth would you change that plus after all the success you have had there as well.
    I think Bosh is a very good player and maybe circumstances limited his impact on the floor when LeBron was there but that is an insane contract if you base it on his performances last season.
    Plus, Houston are not exactly knocking the door down for a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Bosh would of been crazy to turn that contract down, if you are happy living somewhere why on earth would you change that plus after all the success you have had there as well.
    I think Bosh is a very good player and maybe circumstances limited his impact on the floor when LeBron was there but that is an insane contract if you base it on his performances last season.
    Plus, Houston are not exactly knocking the door down for a championship.

Anthony Morrow has agreed to join the Thunder, gives OKC a 3 point shooter and depth on the wing.

So Melo staying is a sure thing now. He must not want to win a ring.

• Advertisement

Minnesota Star Tribune have reported that the Bulls have enquired about Love but Saunders wants Gibson, Butler, Mirotic and McDermott in exchange.

I think I'd do it. Mirotic and McDermott might bust for all any of us know at the minute and Butler is coming up to extension time. Get the core trio of Rose/Love/Noah. It's unlikely the Bulls would do it however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement