Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Terrible, just terrible to see. Pacers will be without him next season almost certainly, coupled with losing Lance to Charlotte, the Pacers could be really bad next year.

There is a gruesome vine doing the round atm on twitter, just rewatched there and nearly puked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Still can't believe it. Stunned.

This will set the Pacers back years. Forget this season at the very least. This will be comparable to the 'Malace in the Palace'.

Edit: But I should have put it in perspective first. Prayers go out to PG and his family.

Totally irrelevant, but just scrolling through my twitter feed I'm mildly surprised by the amount of fellow players who are asking their followers to pray for PG. Didn't realise the pervasiveness of religion in the league. Durant, Lebron, Boogie, Embiid, Chandler, Wall, D Wade, Curry, Lillard, Jordan, Pierce and Love among others all tweeting requesting prayers. Not really important, just said I would point it out.

This is just really sad for George, a player who has improved year on year since he has come into the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

What a blow for Indiana, Worse watching it a 2nd time, Hopefully he makes a speedy recoverey and it's not as serious as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That was not pretty. Only thing I can say in trying to look on the positive side of things is that it looked like a clean break and that's very important to recovery if it is. He won't be playing next season though, unfortunately for him and the pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Ugh, just saw the Paul George injury, looks horrific.

Only consolation is I think it maybe looks a bit worse than it is, in terms of long-term recovery.

@CandaceDBuckner: "Paul George suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. Will be in surgery for two hours, to get a pin placed in his leg."

They're the two shin bones, simpler than the knee.

@jocktodoc: "Pacers Paul George suffers lower leg fracture. In the absence of nerve injury this injury should heal well after surgery. 6 month recovery."

But obviously very worrying and most likely out for next season. As a Bulls fan, I know how much injuries to your best players suck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

What a horrible injury, just felt sick after seeing it. Looks like it'll be at least a 6 month recovery, such a massive blow to Indy.

The whole thing could've been preventable if the basket stanchion was moved back, I mean just look how close it is to the line compared to what it should be in the NBA, it's just way too dangerous having it that close
    BuAPEPYIYAE2pxC.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just saw it there, horrific stuff. Woulde agree about the basket holder being moved back. He more than likely just rolls the ankle (albeit very bad) if his leg isn't forced against that poll.

Awful to have to say it but this is exactly why Kevin love isn't playing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Wow, Waking up this morning to the terrible news, watching that horrible video of the moment it happened

First thought are for Paul, Hope he recovers quickly and gets back to his game

Second thought. It's devastating as a Pacers fan, Without our star player, the core of the team Next season is surely a write off.

What was supposed to be a positive story last night about the return of D Rose to the game after 2 year of injury, Turned into another horrible injury to another of the games great players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Thoughts go out to George. Hopefully he comes back stronger tb4an ever. VVideo was horrific and not one I wished i watched. Get better soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

buyer95 wrote: »
    Totally irrelevant, but just scrolling through my twitter feed I'm mildly surprised by the amount of fellow players who are asking their followers to pray for PG. Didn't realise the pervasiveness of religion in the league. Durant, Lebron, Boogie, Embiid, Chandler, Wall, D Wade, Curry, Lillard, Jordan, Pierce and Love among others all tweeting requesting prayers. Not really important, just said I would point it out.

Noticed that a lot in interviews. Most players seem to thank God for everything they have. Very religious it seems. That's my excuse for not being an NBA superstar.

The whole thing could've been preventable if the basket stanchion was moved back, I mean just look how close it is to the line compared to what it should be in the NBA, it's just way too dangerous having it that close

That's shocking if they weren't using NBA regulation equipment. I hope the reason is because it was FIBA regulation stuff, because there's no excuse for it otherwise.

Didn't want to watch the incident again, but just had a look to see what role the equipment played, and yeah, the outside of his foot catches the base of the stanchion, which causes it to move the other way.

It's 100% the equipment that caused it.

Looks like it was neither FIBA or NBA regulation, I can't believe they allowed them to play on that.

BuAXwVdIAAAs6kb.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Absolutely gutted for him, horrible injury. Prayers go out to him. Season over before it begins for the Pacers it would seem.

A few doctors are saying it's a 6 month recovery but realistically it'll be probably this time next year before he suits up again.

This will not just be a great physical but also mental challenge for PG. Really hope he does it.

As for the Pacers, well, I think we'll be lucky to get the 7-8th seed. Season is a write off. Losing Lance and PG, wow.

That just make it worse for him knowing that it could have easily been prevented. Carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

From Matt Moore's Twitter page:

BuDPQnXIQAALVG3.jpg

Who would back against the Pacers being the leagues worst offense this coming season?

They probably need to do a mini-blowup, trade David West for a future pick. Hibbert is probably untradeable at this point with his big-ish salary. Suck next year, following year you have PG back, high draft pick & cap room to spend.

PG is only 24, so plenty young enough for a rebuild.

@ramonashelburne: "Word is the stanchion at UNLV Friday was measured at 3 feet,11 inches which is just one inch short of the NBA standard."

Infographic I posted earlier was incorrect then, saying minimum NBA distance was 8 feet, it's 4 feet. Distance in UNLV was still shorter though, and looking at pictures, seemed a couple of feet shorter than most NBA hoops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Cali Angry Roller-skate

This is just really sad for George, a player who has improved year on year since he has come into the league.

a lot of players would come from lower socio-economic areas which is where religion would be breeding grounds for religion

with regards pg its horrible to see before even looking at the pacers its just hard to see a young talent like that get injured

from the pacers perspective they where probably the power in the east this year before this happened now they could be a lottery pick if I was them I would get pg to sit the year to be shure hes fully healed and hope for a high lottery pick it could be more beneficial for them long term as I think they where not quite championship standard as is.

anyway the main focus today is best of luck to pg as im shure it is with everyone else

As things stand we probably have the worst 1-3 in the League.

If we do plan on keeping David West in 15-16, then I hope we don't run him into the ground next year chasing an 8 seed. Honestly though, the smart move might be to look at trading West for some younger pieces. I hate to say that since he is one of my favorite Pacers ever, but he is an old guy who is in win now mode. The Pacers won't be a win now team next season, and even if PG is ready for the start of 15-16, you have to think that he'll be a bit rusty after being away from the game so long and recovering from such a brutal injury. He'll likely need a full year to get his game back up to speed. Trading West for young talent might be in the best interests of both parties.

This is Hibbert's big opportunity to show what he can do on offense. The two biggest ball dominant players from last year are gone.

Solomon Hill better get a ton of playing time this year.

In further "Kevin Love is going to the Cavs" news, the NBA store has discontinued selling Andrew Wiggins jersey and USA Basketball say Love may yet be added to the roster for the World Cup.

Yup it looks inevitable at this stage. The Twolves have come out and said that they expect a deal to be complete around the 24th of August. I.e when Wiggins is eligible to be traded.

Probably better off for Wiggins if he wants to be the man on a team. Not enough room on one team for himself and LeBron

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Cali Angry Roller-skate

Probably better off for Wiggins if he wants to be the man on a team. Not enough room on one team for himself and LeBron

i get the impression that he doesn't have to be the man i think he'd be quite happy to learn off lebron while winning championships to be honest

Some nice throw downs here.....

http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2014/08/03/rookies-take-flight-at-photo-shoot/

Zach LaVine in particular looks like he can jump out of the gym. There's a video somewhere of some of his in game and warm up dunks from the Summer League that's pretty impressive.

Celtic Pride Baby!!!!!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It's a bit sad that so many men who are influential to millions still believe in such nonsense. As another poster said. Religion is more of a problem in poorer communities, Because faith can be a result of ignorance and lack of education of these players parents and grand parents.
    However as most of these men have spent at least some time in collage, It's probably more of a stain on American society as a whole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement