Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Big Bill Cartwright and Rambis are going to be his assistants apparently.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Confirmed. Fisher is the new head coach of the NY Knicks.

Bpx4MIyCIAAAI7T.png:medium

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Confirmed. Fisher is the new head coach of the NY Knicks.

Bpx4MIyCIAAAI7T.png:medium

I have a bad feeling about this, a very bad feeling....part of that feeling leads me to suspect Fisher will be the Davy Fitz of NBA Coaches.

I have a bad feeling about this, a very bad feeling....part of that feeling leads me to suspect Fisher will be the Davy Fitz of NBA Coaches.

Davy Fitz led his team to championship glory, I'd gladly take that!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Article makes a good point:

Derek Fisher and Jason Kidd Are Bad Player-to-Coach Comparisons

Would normally be a good spot for a rookie head coach, but this is New York, and he doesn't have nearly as much talent as Jason Kidd did.

• Advertisement

"I will have Derek (Fisher) wear all 5 of his rings the first time he comes in to talk to Carmelo." - Phil Jackson

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

i know this has been done to death but it reeks of jackson being involved in the coaching a new coach won't mind him meddling whereas a more experienced coach would likely want compleat control

That probably is the plan, but strikes me as problematic. If two people are in charge, who's really in charge? It's management by committee, and there aren't many examples of it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

buyer95 wrote: »
    "I will have Derek (Fisher) wear all 5 of his rings the first time he comes in to talk to Carmelo." - Phil Jackson

Haha

He won't need to. The fact that Melo can make an extra $30m if he stays with the Knicks rather than joining another team leads me to believe that they could hire me as head coach and he'd still stay.

Davy Fitz led his team to championship glory, I'd gladly take that!:pac:

Let me clarify - he has the potential to be as annoying in the NBA as Davy is to anyone who lives outside Clare. :)

Let me clarify - he has the potential to be as annoying in the NBA as Davy is to anyone who lives outside Clare. :)

Ya I knew thats what you were getting at, I just wanted to indulge a fantasy, being a knicks fan!

• Advertisement

Ya I knew thats what you were getting at, I just wanted to indulge a fantasy, being a knicks fan!

That's some fantasy!!

Mine involves Jessica Alba & Jennifer Lawrence with my wife taping the action and directing - think I have a better chance of mine happening :)

That's some fantasy!!

Mine involves Jessica Alba & Jennifer Lawrence with my wife taping the action and directing - think I have a better chance of mine happening :)

Sad as it seems, I can't really argue with you:pac:

Spurs to hire European legend Messina as an assistant coach. Some coup for them. Was sure Messina would become a head coach in the NBA.

Spurs to hire European legend Messina as an assistant coach. Some coup for them. Was sure Messina would become a head coach in the NBA.

Very good and very smart move for him. He gets to learn from one of the best before inevitably taking a head coaching position of his own.

Great, great move by the smartest organisation in the league.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

My support for him never waived. So proud.

Something that might help justify LeBron giving up salary to bring in Melo is that he just made $30 million in cash and stock from the Beats by Dre sale to Apple. Remember that LeBron was an early ambassador for the brand, back around the time of the 2008 Olympics.

Something that might help justify LeBron giving up salary to bring in Melo is that he just made $30 million in cash and stock from the Beats by Dre sale to Apple. Remember that LeBron was an early ambassador for the brand, back around the time of the 2008 Olympics.

If Melo goes to the Heat then I'm going to try to switch off from all basketball for a few years :pac: It would be horrible for the NBA as a whole (apart from the money-makers) if it happened. The Heat will just continue to completely cruise the East for the duration of their contracts and there's little point in having an Eastern Conference. Just throw Miami into the Finals every year and be done with it.

Despite the Beats money, I feel after this "Big Three" era that LeBron will want to be acknowledged financially as the best player on the planet. Giving up money for one contract to get the elusive Championship is one thing, doing it twice despite having 2, possibly 3 Championships in the bag is another thing entirely.

Melo would also have to give up $30m too. I just can't see it.

It's important to remember that Melo and Lebron are close, as in really close. There friendship dates back to the USA Youth Development Festival in Colorado Springs in 2001, when LeBron was 16, where they had roomed together. I remember one of the 2 quoted last season talking about their relationship saying that if anything ever happened to either of them, then he would be right there for the kids. They have a very close bond.

It's important to remember that Melo and Lebron are close, as in really close. There friendship dates back to the USA Youth Development Festival in Colorado Springs, where they had roomed together. I remember one of the 2 quoted last season talking about their relationship saying that if anything ever happened to either of them, then he would be right there for the kids. They have a very close bond.

Yep, that's true. In fact, that draft class all stayed very tight. You certainly hear more stories about all the main guys from 2003 being close compared to in other classes.

• Advertisement

Looked more closely at the melo to Miami thing and can't see it happening financially for all parties - more about what RuPaul and Wade have to give up as much as anything else; LeJon and money doesn't really count unless his ego is really as big as it seems at times.

Read an interesting piece on Melo to the Celtics though IF Kevin Love signed. I may be the only Celtic fan in the world who wants Love and does not want Melo...............

2d3ad84f167fd275fe4bfb84e591afb8.png

In other words, "there's no way in hell that I'm leaving $6m + a year on the table."

Paully D wrote: »
    2d3ad84f167fd275fe4bfb84e591afb8.png

In other words, "there's no way in hell that I'm leaving $6m + a year on the table."

Team player alright is RuPaul.

Looked more closely at the melo to Miami thing and can't see it happening financially for all parties - more about what RuPaul and Wade have to give up as much as anything else; LeJon and money doesn't really count unless his ego is really as big as it seems at times.

Read an interesting piece on Melo to the Celtics though IF Kevin Love signed. I may be the only Celtic fan in the world who wants Love and does not want Melo...............

Rondo with Melo could be something special, if Melo can actually ease off ball carrying duties.

Rondo with Love and Melo won't work, all want their touches.

Love has been flirting with the Knicks the other day, basically saying they're a more appealing option with the Zen Master there. I think he's just praying that Lakers wake up and snap him up, tbh.

As much as I want Love to be a Celtic, I can only see him wearing a Lakers jersey. :(

Well..
    Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
    Sources: As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as free agency frontrunners

Well..

Sums up my feelings on this.

5txwmu.jpg

Well..

It'd at least make the East a little more competitive if he went to Chicago but I honestly don't think he's the right fit for the Thibs system and their roster.

I'd love to see him go to Houston for pure comedy value. Sure they'd win a lot of games through talent alone, but imagine the shot selection in close games with him, D12 and Harden on the floor? As well as that, imagine the D with Melo and Harden on the same wing at the same time? :pac:

• Advertisement

5txwmu.jpg

JR Smith's opinion matters*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* to JR Smith. I'm not a huge Melo fan for reasons I've outlined previously (yeah he can score like crazy but no D and a game so one dimensional it's impossible to build a team around him) but JR Smith criticising him is the equivalent of Brush Shields saying he doesn't rate Slash as a guitarist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement