Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It'd at least make the East a little more competitive if he went to Chicago but I honestly don't think he's the right fit for the Thibs system and their roster.

I'd love to see him go to Houston for pure comedy value. Sure they'd win a lot of games through talent alone, but imagine the shot selection in close games with him, D12 and Harden on the floor? As well as that, imagine the D with Melo and Harden on the same wing at the same time? :pac:

Haha, I was similar earlier on Twitter, man. Melo and Harden would be comical, and that's not forgetting Mr. Howard who'll cry for his touches too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

God, I hope he goes to the Bulls.

However, I'm going to go on the record saying the front office won't have the competence to pull it off and he'll go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Paully D wrote: »
    God, I hope he goes to the Bulls.

However, I'm going to go on the record saying the front office won't have the competence to pull it off and he'll go elsewhere.

I honestly don't think he's a good fit for Chicago. He can't/won't be able to play D at the required level for Thibs' system. I just don't see this working. He's an incredibly talented individual at certain aspects of the game, but Chicago are probably second to San Antonio in playing a team first philosophy - I simply don't see Melo fitting into that in Chicago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I honestly don't think he's a good fit for Chicago. He can't/won't be able to play D at the required level for Thibs' system. I just don't see this working. He's an incredibly talented individual at certain aspects of the game, but Chicago are probably second to San Antonio in playing a team first philosophy - I simply don't see Melo fitting into that in Chicago.

DJ Augustin started at the point for the bulls in the second half of the season. That guy is a notoriously terrible defender.

buyer95 wrote: »
    DJ Augustin started at the point for the bulls in the second half of the season. That guy is a notoriously terrible defender.

Yeah, but you're surely not trying to compare him to Melo - a guy who will want his 20+ shots per night and will throw a hissy fit if he doesn't get them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah, but you're surely not trying to compare him to Melo - a guy who will want his 20+ shots per night and will throw a hissy fit if he doesn't get them?
    What makes you think he wont get them? Like the big thing they were missing were offense

astonaidan wrote: »
    What makes you think he wont get them? Like the big thing they were missing were offense

They play at a much slower pace, there's more emphasis on D and effort which in turn tires you out leaving less energy for offence etc. look at San Antonio and they way they sacrifice individual stats for a team game, I see the Chicago style as somewhat similar (not saying they're anywhere near San An right now) and I can't see Melo fitting into that.

Look I could be completely wrong on this, but I don't see him fitting in that (Thibs') system. The reality is we'll never know unless he goes there and tries it, but I just don't see it happening.

Birdman's opting out per Yahoo. Haslam has said he'll probably do the same per the Miami Herald. Battier's retiring. There has to be a good chance Allen will do the same. They may not bring back Chalmers. Lots of change coming in Miami to the role players.

If the "Big Three" don't opt out they'd be taking him $20.5m (LeBron and Bosh) and just over $20m (Wade), which accounts for 76% of the total salary cap for the 2013-2014 season, according to Forbes.

Wade seems completely finished now, so I think he'd be crazy to opt out. He stands to make $41m over the next two years and would be mental to pass it up. Bosh stands to make $42m by opting in.

LeBron won't be going anywhere anyway IMO. Listening to all these reports that he will end up somewhere else will be so annoying for the next few months. He seems happy in Miami and knows Riley will pay whatever tax necessary. Given that he can play in third gear throughout the season, still finish as one of the top seeds and a MVP candidate, plus cruise into the Finals every year because of being in the East helps too I suppose.

I personally think all three will be back next year, whatever about their contracts. It will be very interesting to see how Miami fix up their bench however. In all honesty, presuming they're all back, unless Chicago can do something regarding getting scoring into their team or the Pacers can sort themselves out, it's difficult to envisage the Heat not making it back to the Finals with relative ease again.

BqgMxEpIQAAf5na.jpg:large

Charlotte Hornets jerseys for next season. Love the teal one :o.. though I wish the numbering was white too.

Splash Bros :(

Apparently Thompson, Lee and a 1st round pick for Love and Martin is on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Charlotte Hornets jerseys for next season. Love the teal one :o.. though I was the numbering was white too.

They're fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Those Hornets jerseys look amazing

Apparently Thompson, Lee and a 1st round pick for Love and Martin is on the cards.

:mad::mad::mad:

Iggy doesn't think so :pac:

8071d71007ddcce56eb7d5ab203ddb91.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Sorry if this was posted already or it's in the wrong place but found this very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMkyyrWhWE&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Paully D wrote: »
    Iggy doesn't think so :pac:

8071d71007ddcce56eb7d5ab203ddb91.png

Him saying that means nowt unfortunately. I'll be genuinely upset if this deal goes down, despite not being a Warriors fan as such. Curry gets all the headlines, but Klay deserves his plaudits too. Great shooter, plays very solid defence (1 vs 1 or general) and is clutch as **** himself too. His basketball IQ is higher than Curry.

Jaysus, that would be BIG news if they trade Klay. Lee I can understand as he's a bit older and somewhat injury prone, but breaking up the best 1-2 shooting guard combo in the league is a big price to pay. If I'm GS though, I make this to get Love on condition he signs long term. Love is that good, I really don't think he gets the credit his game deserves because he's in a small market and he doesn't dunk all the time (said somewhat tongue in cheek, but the real fans out there will know what I mean by that). He's fundamentally prob the best all round forward in the league, excellent rebounder, insane outlet passer, best 3 point shooter for a big, solid passer and solid 20+ points a night - plus he does so much of the unfashionable dirty work. He'd fit their game too - assuming Kerr goes uptempo of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Klay gets over-emotional at times but his ability to score at the rim will be far more challenging at the next level since his strength and athleticism will only be average. Needs to find other ways to score. He either looks to let it go, or takes a straight line to the hoop and sometimes gets out of control.

Jaysus, that would be BIG news if they trade Klay. Lee I can understand as he's a bit older and somewhat injury prone, but breaking up the best 1-2 shooting guard combo in the league is a big price to pay. If I'm GS though, I make this to get Love on condition he signs long term. Love is that good, I really don't think he gets the credit his game deserves because he's in a small market and he doesn't dunk all the time (said somewhat tongue in cheek, but the real fans out there will know what I mean by that). He's fundamentally prob the best all round forward in the league, excellent rebounder, insane outlet passer, best 3 point shooter for a big, solid passer and solid 20+ points a night - plus he does so much of the unfashionable dirty work. He'd fit their game too - assuming Kerr goes uptempo of course.

I agree with you Butters that if you're Golden State and you can get a guarantee that Love will sign an extension then you have to make the deal. However don't take it as a given that Kerr will implement an uptempo offense. It is easy to forget that Kerr destroyed Mike D'Antoni's uptempo team smallish ball team by trading away Shawn Marrion for Shaq. Kerr was on record he wanted the team to play in a more traditional manner, Kerr was also striving to make the Suns bigger and more defensive-minded. Trading for the past his prime Shaq, to play centre turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. Shaq didn’t fit the Suns’ style and ultimately chased them from their Seven Seconds or Less style for a season and a half. It shows what a good job Kerr has done rehabilitating his image, to the extent that he was the most in demand coach in the league this offseason. The trade was such a bust that Kerr was public enemy No. 1 in Phoenix for breaking up one of the most entertaining teams in NBA history.

So I wouldn't take it for granted that Kerr wants to play an uptempo game.

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Klay gets over-emotional at times but his ability to score at the rim will be far more challenging at the next level since his strength and athleticism will only be average. Needs to find other ways to score. He either looks to let it go, or takes a straight line to the hoop and sometimes gets out of control.

That's one thing that can't be said against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I would trade Klay if it meant getting Love long term, no brained to me. As big a fan of Klay as I am he is replaceable, Curry is a level above him, just has the x factor. Warriors would miss Klays defence the most in my opinion, he is very versatile with who he can defend.
    Lee would be missed but again replaceable.
    The one thing I wouldnt want is kevin martin, that would mess up the warriors salary, he has a crazy salary and he won't offer the warriors much on the floor

• Advertisement

Blatt to the Cavs is done. My thoughts http://www.punditarena.com/basketball/comahony/euroleague-legend-david-blatt-to-take-cavs-job/

In other news, it's not looking good for us Knicks fans on the Melo front. Chris Herring is a great follow on twitter, and is a fantastic beat writer. Here he explains why if Melo opts out he is in all likelihood gone. http://online.wsj.com/articles/knicks-ready-for-carmelo-anthony-to-decide-1403313315?KEYWORDS=Chris+herring

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

If GS were to trade Klay for Love I would think it's a good deal for them. You'd have Martin in at 2 guard or even slide Iggy back to 2 guard like at Philly and have Harrison Barnes as SF. Love and Bogut round out the team. Sounds pretty nice to me.

Lakers in talks to acquire Warriors' Klay Thompson for seventh pick.

Im not sure Id like that, I think were rebuilding and would rather a young lad, think the trade involved Wolves aswell

Was literally just reading about that now. Crazy move unless it's part of a wider/bigger deal for Love - that's giving away a guy who's already at near All Star Level (and given his current rate of improvement year on year will barring injury be an All Star within 2 seasons IMO) for an unproven pick - maybe top 3 in this year's draft and you'd consider it but 7? No way do I make this trade if I'm GSW (unless it's part of the Love deal). It's not like Klay is old either (24) so I so no logic in this unless of course you're the Lakers on yet another poaching spree.

Was literally just reading about that now. Crazy move unless it's part of a wider/bigger deal for Love - that's giving away a guy who's already at near All Star Level (and given his current rate of improvement year on year will barring injury be an All Star within 2 seasons IMO) for an unproven pick - maybe top 3 in this year's draft and you'd consider it but 7? No way do I make this trade if I'm GSW (unless it's part of the Love deal). It's not like Klay is old either (24) so I so no logic in this unless of course you're the Lakers on yet another poaching spree.
    Hey Im hoping we somehow get Love and Klay, why? Cause Im greedy :D

Jerry West the voice of reason.

Lulz.

Bqr0nYtCQAABKAp.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Happy birthday Frank Vogel. All of 41 years old today. Pop and Carlisle, the two best coaches in the league for my money, didn't have a day of head coaching experience in the league at 41 for reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement