Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming an electronic engineer

• 21-04-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Planning on studying electronic engineering next year in college as I've always had an intrest in anything electrical (currently play with arduino and other homemade electric projects)

But I don't know what jobs are available. Could anyone care to share what opportunities I may have with an electronic degree? (Eg. Jobs/pay/what it's like etc..)

I am asking here as I would like to get a personal response to this rather than just googling it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

If you are into playing around with Arduinos you will probably find yourself interested in the embedded engineering aspect of electronic engineering. There are many job opportunities for embedded engineers in Ireland. You can put in a search for embedded engineer and see the salaries associated with them. As usual, it's dependent on experience. Embedded software engineers can be found in many diverse industries.

My masters was renewable energy based, then I went into the security products industry and now I am in the marine technology sector. The biomedical industry is also quite interesting and a big one here in Ireland.

I have just spoken about the embedded/firmware aspect of electronic engineering, but there are many others. It's a degree that can bring you on a very interesting career path.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

FYI, a fairly typical job spec for an embedded electronic engineer.
    €Competitive DOE Plus Pension, Health Insurance, Flexitime, Paid Holidays, Training Plan

A superb opportunity has arisen for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join Europe’s leading independent developer of products based on PC architectures.

If you’re a high calibre embedded software developer, this is a fantastic opportunity to play a key role within a highly innovative and world leading company.

Joining our client’s state-of-the-art Dublin-based facility, you will have the chance to make a real impact on the company’s development activities.

As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing platform drivers and undertaking server management activities.

Using best in class development processes, you’ll oversee the full software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering and analysis, through to design, development and support.

To be considered for this role, you must have:

- At least five years’ experience of software development in an embedded environment
    - Linux kernel, device driver or user space experience
    - Experience of large system debugging
    - Excellent knowledge of C, especially in developing embedded or real time software
    - Good knowledge of processor technology, especially x86 and/or ARM architecture
    - A degree in electronics, software engineering or a related IT field

Innovative and focused, as a Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you must have strong English communication skills, excellent attention to detail and an analytical approach.

To apply for the role of Senior Embedded Software Engineer, please apply via the button shown.

This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit Ireland Ltd. The services advertised by Webrecruit Ireland Ltd are those of an Employment Agency.

Additional Keywords: Senior Embedded Software Engineer, Lead Embedded Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Senior Software Developer, Embedded Software Developer, Embedded C Developer, C Software Engineer.

Working hours: Full time

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement