Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to Wifi at home?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice...

My laptop has just stopped recognising our wifi? We have another laptop, two smartphones, iPads etc and all are working fine!

My laptop is a Msi if that's of any relevance!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

One common gotcha here would be that the wireless was accidentally switched off, with a little switch on the laptop. I don't know MSI laptops, so don't know if that's possible. Let's run through some troubleshooting.

Since the other devices are fine, it's more than likely something on the laptop.

(1) Does the laptop see other WiFi networks, other than the home one it normally connects to?

(2) Can it connect to them OK? (If 'don't know' is the answer, try and share out a hotspot from a phone and see if the laptop can connect)

(3) I presume the laptop is Windows? Windows 7/8?

(4) Was anything changed recently on the home WiFi? Password/router etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi edanto, thanks for reply!

I've turned on the hotspot on the phone, and it's not picking it up.
    There is a button which I usually just press to connect to home wifi, but it's not working either.

I've attached a pic of what I get when I try to connect...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Yup, laptop is windows 8, I think :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

We going to ignore that error for the moment - I think the error in the picture you have attached tells us that the computer doesn't have a cabled connection to the internet, and we're fine with that.

First thing to try - maybe the WiFi was turned off by accidentally pressing Fn & F8 keys together. Try that, see if the WiFi comes on. (from this thread - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28438-43-turn-wireless)

If that makes no difference, then use this step-by-step to see if Wireless is turned on in Windows 8, what do you see when you go to that part of the settings?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3448449/how-turn-of-wi-fi-bluetooth-in-windows-8/

I'll probably have to bow out of this thread after this post, but let me know how it works out.

Advertisement