Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I did my pres earlier in the year and got 73% in Paper 1 and just 53% in Paper 2.
    I just want to know, what should I study for paper 2? The drama we've done in class is The Merchant of Venice, which we did in 2nd year but it was 2nd year so I paid no attention and didn't understand it whatsoever. I have no idea what happens in the book and don't know where to start studying it. Should I read it, learn off quotes maybe? If so what quotes? By the way our teacher has been revising it but I still don't understand.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

For a start, you should tell your teacher what you don't understand. It's very hard to learn and study something you don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ConorFTW

I was planning on starting over Easter though...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

ConorFTW wrote: »
    I did my pres earlier in the year and got 73% in Paper 1 and just 53% in Paper 2.
    I just want to know, what should I study for paper 2? The drama we've done in class is The Merchant of Venice, which we did in 2nd year but it was 2nd year so I paid no attention and didn't understand it whatsoever. I have no idea what happens in the book and don't know where to start studying it. Should I read it, learn off quotes maybe? If so what quotes? By the way our teacher has been revising it but I still don't understand.

Thanks.

Okay, my class recently did The Merchant of Venice and I absolutely loved it, so I can give you some (hopefully helpful) tips.

You must know all of the main characters inside out, as a question on "What character from your chosen studied drama did you like/dislike?" could easily come up.

The main characters are Antonio, Shylock, Portia, Bassanio, Lorenzo, Jessica, Gratiano, La(u)ncelot and Nerissa. Forgive me if I have forgot some.

Okay, so you must know a tense and dramatic scene (The trial scene between Antonio and Shylock - Act 4 Scene 1 --- study this now!! Incredibly important scene!) for this scene, you must be able to say --what exactly-- makes it dramatic and tense and if you were a director, what would YOU do in order to make it suspenseful for YOUR audience? Remember: don't tell the story. As a Higher level student, examiners will penalize you for telling the story of the play. Answer the question asked and back up your points.

Use the PQE format - -Point- - Example: "Antonio is my least favourite character of the play because I think he displays acts which completely contradict the teachings of Christianity, of which he is a follower and so fond of. In Act I Scene III of this play, Jewish moneylender, Shylock, claims that Antonio has treated him badly in the past:
    --Quote--- "You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog/And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine." Explain --- It is clear that Antonio displays anti-Semitic feelings and hates Shylock solely due to the fact that he is a Jew.

Now, the above may not be completely correct, but the PQE format is meant to be a fantastic way of attaining marks.

In relation to quotes, you should learn a few of them. I can't give you a solid number but as a rule of thumb, whatever points/arguments you make, back them up! Know quotes about Shylock being a victim (like him being spat on by Antonio because he is Jewish, being made fun of by the children when Jessica runs off with his precious ducats) or him being a villain (like him being so determined to take a pound of flesh from Antonio's chest) And know some quotations about Antonio being a villain (hating Shylock solely because he's Jewish) and being a victim (When Shylock brings him to court.)

Do you mind telling me what novel your class studied? We may have done the same novel and I could give you tips on that.

Remember: the English exam, as with other exams is actually designed to get you marks. You'll do just fine. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ConorFTW

Thanks so much for that answer, I'm gonna start straight away.
    Our class did Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck for our novel. Pretty boring but I definitely understand it and it's pretty short anyway.
    Thanks for your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

ConorFTW wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that answer, I'm gonna start straight away.
    Our class did Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck for our novel. Pretty boring but I definitely understand it and it's pretty short anyway.
    Thanks for your answer!

No bother :) My class did ''To Kill A Mockingbird'' so I can't give you any notes :( But it's pretty much the same as the drama: know your main characters, their personalities, why you like them/dislike them, a tense and dramatic scene (what does the author use in order to make it tense and dramatic) and also know a relationship (either good or bad). I remember that came up in 2008, I think, and many students weren't prepared for it. Don't forget the theme! The all-important theme!

Good luck with your studies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement