Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brushing teeth & getting rid of the soother

Options
  • 21-04-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

So just wondering what attics everyone used to get rid of their
    LO soother? And at what age did you do it successfully? Lo only has it at nap time or bed time.

Also any tips for teeth brushing- Lo firmly shuts her mouth when I try :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eishaa

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Also any tips for teeth brushing- Lo firmly shuts her mouth when I try :-(

Would love to know any tips for teeth brushing too. My daughter does the same with major tantrums every time I try to brush her teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I used to let my LO brush my teeth, she then let me brush hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I brought my 3 year old with me when I had my check up recently. Then the dentist asked if he could look at his teeth. He's been great about cleaning ever since and he lets me brush them after he's had a go.

As for the soother, attempts to give them all to Santa were aborted and we kept one. Then he gave it to the Easter bunny but thankfully we had it as he got upset last night going to bed. He can't even suck it anymore as there's a huge hole in it and he only has it at bedtime so I guess he'll get rid of it when he's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

No help for soother im afraid. Ive a thumb sucker so thats gona be a difficult one.
    But with teeth i let her brush them herself (shes 2 next week) while i brush mine. She trys to copy me. Then i tell her ill help . I normally only get to give them a quick once over though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How old Is the baby ? It makes a difference for getting rid of "suesie" as my middle daughter called it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

My stepdaughter left hers on our Xmas tree for Santa to take.

Had a bit of a tantrum afterwards but we stayed strict. After a couple of days dodie was long forgotten!
    There is a special soother box in rathbeggan lakes where kids can leave there soothers for the fairys to take,
    it's a really cool idea!
    Personally I hate soothers once the child is over 2.
    One of my colleagues daughters still had hers at night time aged 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My daughter is just gone 2 last week. She sits on toilet (lid closed) and brushes hers while I brush mine.. then I get to give them a quick once over by sayin "show mummy your teeth...or open wide"

However the trouble I do have is she links the toothpaste off and thinks it's delicious. I'm using baby toothpaste bug it's still quite minty. She also had not got the hang of spitting. But most days she will wander round happily gnawing on the toothbrush as I get dressed or put clothes away so some sort of a clean is getting done

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

My little lady is nearly ten months and has four teeth. Any tips for cleaning her teeth. Ive tried a soft cloth to do it but she firmly shuts her month and wont let me. When do you start using a toothbrush. Ive given her one to explore so she can get used to the feel but gid forbid we'd get a tooth brushed.

She also has a dodie. Mostly for sleep and nap times and doesnt always need it. When would ye recommend removing it. Was thinking we'd just go cold turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Our 20 month old likes to use daddy's toothbrush, he has his own and I try to give it to him everyday, he bites on it or
    has a brush around the mouth like daddy, I just encourage and when he sees us brush he wants to do same, he is a big fan of the toothpaste which is not ideal but he tries at least to brush, I have been cleaning his teeth since he was about 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Toothbrushing is part of bedtime routine for us. She gets up on her step at the sink, gets her own brush and has a go. I usually do mine at the same time. She gets a great kick out of spitting into the sink (never allowed spit usually). I take over the brushing after a minute or so if her messing about with it.

When she was very small we used a finger toothbrush.

Soother, easter bunny took it and left a chocolate lollypop instead, about age 2 1/2. I don't have any problem with the soothers used at nighttime. We only got rid of it because we were expecting another, and didn't want the babies one to be robbed. They are so good for them! Reduces SIDS risk. Very handy when they are sick or need any medical procedure. It doesn't affect teeth until after age 5, doesn't affect speech unless they have it in all day. It provides great emotional comfort for them, babies and small children have a strong sucking reflex. Easier to get rid of than their thumb, for sure. :) Baby 2 here is a thumb sucker, I'm battling to get the dummy in!

I wouldn't worry about it if at all it helps them go to sleep or gives them comfort when they hurt themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Toothbrush we introduced very young to eat for lack of a better word. He is still young so he runs my teeth with and then his own. Soother gone at about eight months because I was tired I having to put it in ten times a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son is only six months but has two tiny teeth. I've started using the dentinox teething toothpaste and the little finger brush that comes with it. I brush the two teeth and run the brush around his gums - that's when he's not trying to bite my finger! He seems to like it so far, I'm hoping by introducing it so young he won't have a problem with tooth brushing later on!

As for the dodie, I wish he'd take one - I've tried dipping it in glycerine and aniseed, tried all shapes and sizes - he just spits it out and gags like I'm trying to kill him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Thanks everyone. I keep trying with the teeth but nope- tried her doing hers while I do mine but just won't put the brush in her mouth.

She 15 months, hoping to get rid of soother within next 6 months. She only gets it bed time, if she's hurt herself she gets a cuddle of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

We introduced the dodie fairy a few months ago to hide dodie during the day and it magically appears at bedtime. We used the dentinox teeting toothpaste with the little finger brush from an early age. 3 year old daughter has her own toothbrush now. Part of the bedtime routine is the dodie fairy only puts the dodie next to her bed when teeth are brushed and PJs on. Teeth brushing has become such a part of the routine that our daughter reminds us if we forget.

We brush our teeth at the same time so our daughter watches and learns. Sometimes I let my daughter brush my teeth too and I brush her teeth

We're working up to removing the dodie from nighttime, with the dodie fairy leaving a present overnight. That will be a challenge. Hopefully within the next few months ....

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We got a baby's electric toothbrush yesterday for our toddler. It was a big hit, and a big improvement on his practically non-existent brushing. He point-blank refused to let us do it prior to this, and the best I could hope for before we got it was for him to absentmindedly gnaw on a toothbrush while watching his favorite program.

Cost a tenner in the local chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Neyite wrote: »
    We got a baby's electric toothbrush yesterday for our toddler. It was a big hit, and a big improvement on his practically non-existent brushing. He point-blank refused to let us do it prior to this, and the best I could hope for before we got it was for him to absentmindedly gnaw on a toothbrush while watching his favorite program.

Cost a tenner in the local chemist.

What age is your toddler? I don't have a point blank refusal but im thinking my 20 month old would think its just a toy maybe.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Rose35 wrote: »
    What age is your toddler? I don't have a point blank refusal but im thinking my 20 month old would think its just a toy maybe.

He is 2, but I remember my 16 month old nephew getting hold of my electric one and having a blast - it was massaging his tender gums. Couldnt get the bloody thing off him. :P. Its for babies and has a tiny brush the size of your little fingernail.

Advertisement