Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Engineering after not doing metalwork for the JC

• 21-04-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Greetings from the JC forum, I'm not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

We got our LC option forms a week or two ago regarding what subjects we want to do for 5th year and LC. Now this doesn't concern me because I went and chose TY:pac: but one of my friends is going straight in to 5th year.

He has a plan in his head, Sports Science, and he has taken the stuff he needs to like Chemistry and he also took Biology and Art. He did Music for the JC but hates it with a passion and thinks he would go crazy if he had to suffer it for 2 more years. So he is thinking of taking Engineering, but he didn't do Metalwork for the JC (although he did Woodwork, if that means anything) My question, well, his question is whether it is possible to take Engineering for the Leaving, without having done Metalwork for the JC, and still pick it up and do ok? Or is this completely out of the question.

Also, he qualifies for LCVP and plans on doing an Italian Module as part of it. Will this cover him for the 3rd Language requirement or should he consider taking French or German? (which, by chance, he didn't do either for the JC:pac:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Greetings from the JC forum, I'm not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

We got our LC option forms a week or two ago regarding what subjects we want to do for 5th year and LC. Now this doesn't concern me because I went and chose TY:pac: but one of my friends is going straight in to 5th year.

He has a plan in his head, Sports Science, and he has taken the stuff he needs to like Chemistry and he also took Biology and Art. He did Music for the JC but hates it with a passion and thinks he would go crazy if he had to suffer it for 2 more years. So he is thinking of taking Engineering, but he didn't do Metalwork for the JC (although he did Woodwork, if that means anything) My question, well, his question is whether it is possible to take Engineering for the Leaving, without having done Metalwork for the JC, and still pick it up and do ok? Or is this completely out of the question.

Also, he qualifies for LCVP and plans on doing an Italian Module as part of it. Will this cover him for the 3rd Language requirement or should he consider taking French or German? (which, by chance, he didn't do either for the JC:pac:)

Thanks.

Yes it is possible, will need a bit of work to catch up on the basics the JC lads would know but at least Woodwork will give him some base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I know a lad who didn't do metalwork for JC but did Engineering in LC. Managed to get a higher grade than me (a2, I got B1).
    Not 100% on italian module covering third language but just to let you know in advance, LCVP isn't considered as a subject for college but can be taken into account for points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭Cucking Funt

mistaaaakkkeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The language requirement is not covered by the Italian module, the language requirement of some of the university courses is a leaving cert language not just a module as part of LCVP.

However if he is going for Sports Science in UL this is not a problem as they accept Irish or a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Marchef

I did engineering for LC and got an A. I had not taken MW for JC. I had to work harder but both courses are separate from each other. Being competent in maths and physics will be a big help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement