Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Oven

Options
  • 21-04-2014 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have a double oven, free-standing. I've never used the top oven as I'm just used to the main oven. Is it mainly used for long cooking like casseroles, or does anyone use theirs for baking?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've used mine for baking a few times and it's fine. I always mean to use it more since it's not a fan oven and the main one is. I read that fan ovens can dry cakes etc too much.

The problem is, I hardly ever think of using the top oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have a double oven, free-standing. I've never used the top oven as I'm just used to the main oven. Is it mainly used for long cooking like casseroles, or does anyone use theirs for baking?

I use the top oven for everything! Takes half the time to heat up and the cooking temps can be kept a bit lower as its only heating half the space. Naturally you need to be careful about the height level esp with baking - place at the bottom and keep an eye on it otherwise you can end up with burnt top and even an undercooked base. Indeed large deep cakes would be not suitable for the top oven I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I rarely use the top oven, mainly because it does not seem to be as accurate for heat as the bottom one. I tend to use it more as a warming oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I rarely use the main oven. Top oven heats up faster, is more economical and gets hotter. Only use main if I need more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm the opposite, always use the main oven as it's a fan oven, and the top oven is a conventional one and I never, ever bake cakes. The main oven also heats up quicker than the smaller top one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks everyone. If anyone who does use the top oven could give me an idea of temperatures, I'd be grateful. For instance victoria sponge, fairy cakes and scones. I don't often bake big cakes but sometimes Mary Berry's traybakes. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've done traybakes at 170C, and and fairy cakes at 190C in the top oven. I'll use the temperatures specified in the recipes, which is usually 10-20 degrees higher than for a fan oven. It depends on your individual oven too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Thanks everyone. If anyone who does use the top oven could give me an idea of temperatures, I'd be grateful. For instance victoria sponge, fairy cakes and scones. I don't often bake big cakes but sometimes Mary Berry's traybakes. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it!! :)
    normally take off 10-15% from the stated temperature for a fan oven depending on the manufacturer

Thanks all. I need to adjust what I've been doing all right, just cremated a cake in the top oven that I have managed to bake perfectly in the main oven for many years! Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all. I need to adjust what I've been doing all right, just cremated a cake in the top oven that I have managed to bake perfectly in the main oven for many years! Back to the drawing board.

:(

Sounds like your top oven is very hot.

• Advertisement

It must be extremely hot - I've never seen such a cremation before! :D

It must be extremely hot - I've never seen such a cremation before! :D

Sure you didn't have the grill on?

Sure you didn't have the grill on?

Positive! Separate knobs for grill and top oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

My kitchen has two ovens (separate from the cooker). I regularly find myself in a position where I need both...which is mostly when I use the "top" (smaller) one. Typically when I have two dishes which will need to be ready at the same time / have overlapping times and should be kept apart.

Also, when having friends over for pizza...bang a stone into each, and off we go.

I have also used it for warming plates.

I rarely use *just*the top oven...but if I do, it's because it's smaller and I don't need the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hello stranger! :)

bonkey wrote: »
    My kitchen has two ovens (separate from the cooker). I regularly find myself in a position where I need both...which is mostly when I use the "top" (smaller) one. Typically when I have two dishes which will need to be ready at the same time / have overlapping times and should be kept apart.

Also, when having friends over for pizza...bang a stone into each, and off we go.

I have also used it for warming plates.

I rarely use *just*the top oven...but if I do, it's because it's smaller and I don't need the space.

Sounds like yours is a much more professional set up than my domestic kitchen.

Also looks like you've met an old friend here!! :)

Positive! Separate knobs for grill and top oven.

Mine has the same control knob. It's easy to get wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sounds like yours is a much more professional set up than my domestic kitchen.
    It's not professional...but it's nice :) Induction hob on a half-island (peninsula), and then two somewhat-high-end ovens wall-mounted.

To be honest though, the principle is mostly the same as any other hob-and-two-oven setup.
    Also looks like you've met an old friend here!! :)
    I haven't been around in a while.

bonkey wrote: »
    It's not professional...but it's nice :) Induction hob on a half-island (peninsula), and then two somewhat-high-end ovens wall-mounted.

To be honest though, the principle is mostly the same as any other hob-and-two-oven setup.

I haven't been around in a while.

Gawsh, swanky! (drools!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote: »
    The main oven also heats up quicker than the smaller top one.
    Probably a higher power element in the main oven so, which though quicker is probably using more energy overall.
    It depends on your individual oven too.
    +1, not just the nature of the ovens but even 2 ovens of the same make & model might have thermostats which are a bit out. Someone wanted a new oven in my house as there was no temperature indication and they wanted to bake a cake! I was saying it might be a little bit cheaper & wiser to make up 3 or 4 cake mixes and see which works at say a setting of "9 o clock" on the dial, and go up or down if the first cake does not come out right.

There is a way you can test/verify your oven temps by using normal sugar.

You can see this woman had little dishes around the oven showing hotter/colder spots
    IMG_1400.JPG

http://www.beyondsalmon.com/2013/10/food-science-class-lab-1-testing-oven.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    Probably a higher power element in the main oven so, which though quicker is probably using more energy overall
    Energy = power * time, so maybe, maybe not. Fan ovens usually heat up quicker than conventional ones too in my experience.

That sugar test is interesting. Must try that.

Advertisement