Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colur to paint a rear garden wall

• 21-04-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to paint my rear garden wall. Its approx. 120feet long 6 feet high with plenty of pillars in between.

The garden itself is about 100 feet long and the wall separates my property and my 2 neighbouring properties behind me.

What colour would be suitable????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

I'd be inclined to use a darkish colour. That tends to make things look further away whereas painting it white would give the impression it is closer (i.e. your garden is shorter). What colours would you have against it? Dark grey could be a good backdrop for silvery foliage, burgundy flowers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Magnolia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Is this a bare concrete block wall or is it plastered?

You might be better off just covering it (completely, or just in places) with trellising, then growing something up it like clematis, ivy or virginia creeper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

homer911 wrote: »
    Is this a bare concrete block wall or is it plastered?

You might be better off just covering it (completely, or just in places) with trellising, then growing something up it like clematis, ivy or virginia creeper..

That's a lot of wall, a lot of trellis, a lot plants, a lot of money and a lot of maintenance work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Depends on what is going to be in front of it, or what visual effect you are going for. All of the walls in my garden are white. It wouldn't be my first choice, but that is how they were when we moved in. When my sweet peas and gladioli are in bloom, they look really spectacular against the bright white walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

Why not go wild and paint it bright lively vibrant colours and counteract the drabness that we tendto be party to? Requires a bit of courage and the whispered suggestion that you are in some way 'different'.

Advertisement