Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark souls II - PC Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can't believe i wasted so much time on the uchi and varangian, draenglic sword is where it's at

pow pow pow, slash slash slash

i guess the katanas are only to be used while duel wielding.. and the varangian is just not as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

i can't believe i wasted so much time on the uchi and varangian, draenglic sword is where it's at

pow pow pow, slash slash slash
    Claymore is just as good, has longer reach, and upgrades using regular titanite instead of twinkling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've yet to move on from the Heide Knight sword. I got a Notched Whip which I've been trying out. Massive range, poor/mediocre damage but high bleed. How exactly does the bleed effect enemies...? Sometimes it does over 200 damage and I have no idea why.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Grimebox wrote: »
    I've yet to move on from the Heide Knight sword. I got a Notched Whip which I've been trying out. Massive range, poor/mediocre damage but high bleed. How exactly does the bleed effect enemies...? Sometimes it does over 200 damage and I have no idea why.

It builds up in a bar like poison and if the bar maxes out they lose a big chunk of HP. It scales with DEX also, so it's more effective if you have high DEX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

You have to stack it. A meter builds up the more you hit an enemy and when its maxed out you get an additional damage proc. Then it resets. If you don't continue with attacks the build the meter it will slowly deplete.

Its pretty bad. In pvp you don't get the chance to attack continuously to stack the bleed, and in pve most enemies die in a few hits before you even build the bleed. Plus im pretty sure bosses are immune to it, could be wrong though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You have to stack it. A meter builds up the more you hit an enemy and when its maxed out you get an additional damage proc. Then it resets. If you don't continue with attacks the build the meter it will slowly deplete.

Its pretty bad. In pvp you don't get the chance to attack continuously to stack the bleed, and in pve most enemies die in a few hits before you even build the bleed. Plus im pretty sure bosses are immune to it, could be wrong though

Some bosses can be bled,
    Vendrick
    for one, don't know about any others. I preferred bleed in the first game when it was innate to slash weapons rather than an infusion.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It builds up in a bar like poison and if the bar maxes out they lose a big chunk of HP. It scales with DEX also, so it's more effective if you have high DEX.

Ah that would be the big blow that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Indeed it was. I liked it better in Demon's Souls where it would cause gradual damage and have a cool hearbeat sound around the effected enemy (also made it easy to track them since their health meter would appear everywhere)... although the actual bleeding drain damage was low even then.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Have you guys seen the ENB mods for this? It's not perfect yet but it really does recall that 'old' lighting system. That and a texture mod and you could have something really close to the pre-release game.

There are a few variations of it going around, some are your typical overblown overbloomed filters that ruin the game but there are some that are exceptional and actually make torches properly useful again.

The first video looks really nice but i think the Fire and Lens flare effects are way over the top, if they can be toned down abit it would be perfection.

The second video just looks dull. Seems like there is a palette of about 5 color's used in the video. Looks like Gear of War 1 :pac:

Ill stick with durante's mod for now but i would download the first mod if the flare effects could be modified. Although going through the game with a "dark mod" won't have much effect outside a first playthrough

i rmember thinking "right, im gona need lots of souls for that.. i should go do some co op after dinner"

then I had dinner

now I have no idea what I wanted all those souls for.. it was pretty important I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Forest of Last Giants: is there a bonfire anywhere between
    the one with the merchant hag at, and the Last Giant boss fight?

A guide or two has spoken of some
    exploding barrels that get you a shortcut to one, cannot find where they are talking about

Had to switch it off last night after dying with 5000 souls on me, then getting killed again really stupidly before I could get back to them - haven't played any of the other games so 5000 souls is a lot to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

When
    you head down the ladder beside Hag merchant, there is a door (locked) that can be opened on the other side when you venture further into the area. Once it's opened, the Bonfire beside the Merchant is very close to the Last Giant Boss.
    exploding barrels that get you a shortcut to one, cannot find where they are talking about

Head down the ladder beside the Hag Merchant
    and follow the usual path where you run up a Tree Trunk to the area where there is a few wooden blockards and a few hollow soldiers (there should be a ladder too but don't go up it). At the very end of that path with the blockades are about 3 stacks of oil barrels (there is a steps to your right when you face them). What you need to do is either get the Hollow on the cornerstone above you a few feet away to throw a firebomb at the barrels or you can throw one yourself at them. When you do the barrels explode along with the wall, creating a shortcut between there and the bonfire where the Merchant is.

I wouldn't worry about the souls. It's been alot easier to get souls in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls 1

Cravez wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about the souls. It's been alot easier to get souls in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls 1

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

7yXDT6F.png

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

7yXDT6F.png

I easily farmed 300k souls last night at a low enough level. It took me alot longer as a higher level character doing constant PvP in Dark Souls 1 to get that amount!

Also anyone having any luck invading sinners as a Blue Sentinel with the Blue Cracked Eye Orbs? Anywhere I have tried it's been a failure. Way too many Ned Flanders in the game so :P

I easily farmed 300k souls last night at a low enough level. It took me alot longer as a higher level character doing constant PvP in Dark Souls 1 to get that amount!

mebbe im letting my hours in the darkroot garden colour my memory of farming in DS1

Had to switch it off last night after dying with 5000 souls on me, then getting killed again really stupidly before I could get back to them - haven't played any of the other games so 5000 souls is a lot to me :)

I played a bit of ds1 but was horrific at it so I'm still pretty much a noob. As a general rule and to prevent myself from throwing my laptop out the window, I always go back and level up if I have enough souls. ALWAYS!

I did my farming in Darkroot Garden too but you had periods of no invasions and also the amount of souls varied since technically an SL1 could invade you as a Forest Hunter. So the amount of time to get 300k souls in that way in Dark Souls 1 was very varied.

Last night in Dark Souls 2 I kept putting my sign down for the Lost Sinner, kept getting constantly summoned and he's easy enough boss to kill anyway so doing repeated attempts while wearing the Silver Covetous Ring it was easy enough to farm the souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

5k ha. I lost 60k the other night so yea i had to log out lol. Fairly easy to get souls in this game compared to previous ones. Can rake them up helping with boss fights.

• Advertisement

I lost 200k in the Bell Tower. It's fun invading others in it but being on the other end isn't so much :(

Wasn't expecting the little dwarf guys to pack so much of a punch!

can't connect to the dark souls 2 server for some reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'd been having a bad time in the bell tower myself. Ended up deciding to just do a few suicide runs up to the boss fog gate and trying to solo it. Amazed myself by beating the gargoyles when I got in the second time. Prodigious application of health gems got me through it.

Had an irritating experience with invaders before that - one guy appeared and we were fairly evenly matched. Think I had him on the ropes and a second invader appeared. Second invader appeared to be standing back to allow a fair (lol) fight. First guy immediately retreated and as I followed him, second guy took the opportunity to jump in and stab me in the back. I wouldn't have beaten them both, but I felt cheated that I didn't get to finish the first guy. And finally, the finger wag gesture was salt in the wound. Such is life in Dark Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Love the No Way gesture, its the DS2 equivalent to the amazing Well! What Is It! taunt in DS1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I played a bit of ds1 but was horrific at it so I'm still pretty much a noob. As a general rule and to prevent myself from throwing my laptop out the window, I always go back and level up if I have enough souls. ALWAYS!

Yeah I know I should have done that but I had slogged through a load of areas so was thinking 'there must be a bonfire soon, right?' - lesson learned!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Love the No Way gesture, its the DS2 equivalent to the amazing Well! What Is It! taunt in DS1...

Was that the "Come at me bro" type gesture? Cause that really should be in the new game as well.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Was that the "Come at me bro" type gesture? Cause that really should be in the new game as well.

Yeah, it's amazingly satisfying to use...

I always do the "Pumped Up" taunt for everything, before a boss, when I get summoned, when I defeat someone in PvP :D

Dark Souls PvP

kn6kMXr.png

god, **** the
    shrine of amana

i keep mistiming my rolls against the soul arrows or whatever those arseholes are firing at me or else just straight walking into the deep water

Btw if anyone wants to do Co-Op just add me on Steam. (Link in Sig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Anyone else have problems logging into the game server? Just bought the game (had a "cousins" copy before to try it out) and it keeps saying that the service is unavailable.

Is the service down or is this a known issue (been reading something about that some people have problems connecting due to VAC issues?). Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

I want to start playing dying and not in offline mode.

i havent been able to connect to the game servers all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Alright, cheers.

Guess ill start offline so ;)

Also anyone having any luck invading sinners as a Blue Sentinel with the Blue Cracked Eye Orbs? Anywhere I have tried it's been a failure. Way too many Ned Flanders in the game so :P

The rarely work in NG, in NG+ they'll work regularly.

Hah, if it was a good fight I just bow. If they tried to cheese me while I was still spawning, use duel avelyns or heal during the fight I spam the "Very Good!" carving stone followed up with the You're Welcome gesture. :D
    god, **** the
    shrine of amana

i keep mistiming my rolls against the soul arrows or whatever those arseholes are firing at me or else just straight walking into the deep water

Do the soulspears home in from a a ridiculous range? They ended up patching it on he consoles. If you use a torch it's easier to see where the drops are too.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Do the soulspears home in from a a ridiculous range? They ended up patching it on he consoles. If you use a torch it's easier to see where the drops are too.

nah the range is reasonable enough, it's the same as bow range. yeah I know but I get pissed off after about the fourth death and I start trying to speed run it, which leads to way more deaths and me closing dark souls 2 for a few hours

nah the range is reasonable enough, it's the same as bow range. yeah I know but I get pissed off after about the fourth death and I start trying to speed run it, which leads to way more deaths and me closing dark souls 2 for a few hours

Yeah it's a pain of an area, I sniped cheesed everything with poison arrows. It's really annoying because it takes ages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I end up turning the game off pretty much the exact same way every time. I die, slowly but successfully make my way back to my souls, but inevitably die again. I then rush back and die on the way, followed by a rage quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I like the servers being down. Means there's no temptation to summon, and I have to brave it out myself. 5 bosses killed at this point.

Good people of boards... should I spend my next few hours in Lost Bastille or Huntsman's Copse?

I like the servers being down. Means there's no temptation to summon, and I have to brave it out myself. 5 bosses killed at this point.

Good people of boards... should I spend my next few hours in Lost Bastille or Huntsman's Copse?

I've opted for the Huntsman's Copse after getting up to the boss in the Lost Bastille. The boss is too hard for me. There are three of them and I can't even fight one right now. That's what I love about the fast travel in this game. I can come back to areas when I hit a dead end easily. I'm not that far in the Huntsman's Copse yet.

What 5 have you beaten?

• Advertisement

good god that those bell tower areas are fecking anoying, non stop invaded !! always by two people its rage educing :mad: took me 5 tries to make it through the area with out getting my ass handed to me.

why is it I never get invaded in my own game but every time I get summoned to someone elses for some jolly co-op, we get invaded almost every time?

wont be able to play until monday or tuesday now and im so near the end im just gona say **** it

i'm reading the wiki for the last couple of areas, then im going to read the main thread. ill finish the game next week.

all in all a good game but such a disappointment compared to dark souls 1. this game will never reach the same hours played as DS1 has on my steam account, it wont even get close. the only thing it did better was the co-op, it felt very natural and a complete part of the game.

I'll probably get to NG++ then ease off. Already got that far on the 360 and that's pretty much the point where you can get everything in the game. What I'll definitely stay for is the duelling, great online experiences compared to DS1.

If only DS1 had the same performance on PC, can barely get it at 30fps even with DSfix, yet this game flies it.

wont be able to play until monday or tuesday now and im so near the end im just gona say **** it

i'm reading the wiki for the last couple of areas, then im going to read the main thread. ill finish the game next week.

all in all a good game but such a disappointment compared to dark souls 1. this game will never reach the same hours played as DS1 has on my steam account, it wont even get close. the only thing it did better was the co-op, it felt very natural and a complete part of the game.

What exactly did it not do as well? So far the atmosphere of the game doesn't feel the same to me, it feels like a rehash in some ways but overall its far less frustrating. The level design is better I think in DS2 although there is still the odd clanger. I'm a bit biased against DS1 at this stage though.

DS2 is pretty much DS1 with loads more content. Right from the get go there are about 4-5 different paths you can take, then 1 path, then back to about 3-4 towards the final stretch of the game. DS1 didn't open paths like this till the end of the game.

DS2 also has way more weapons, movesets and armour than DS1. For example, DS2 has just over double the amount of armour sets vanilla DS1 has. I would count the weapons but i just cant be arsed. Covenants are better in DS2. Magic is also better with a wide variety of spells for each school.

The only thing DS1 has going for it is the lore, the world, and the more memorable NPC's. Other than that, from a gameplay perspective DS2 is the superior game.

servers gone down again :mad:

Hopefully to patch................................

nah it's not the from servers it's steam according to everyone over on /r/darksouls2

• Advertisement

The only thing DS1 has going for it is the lore, the world, and the more memorable NPC's. Other than that, from a gameplay perspective DS2 is the superior game.
    Don't think that's exactly fair. Graphically DS1 is far more consistent. World and NPC's are a very important part of creating the game atmosphere and hardly any of the NPC's make me feel an emotional investment. The level design is top notch (apart from Izalith which feels unfinished) and the music is miles better. The game feels like more love was put into it, and that's obviously Miyazaki's input, because you can really tell where he wasn't involved in DS2. It doesn't help that some of DS2's best parts are pretty much ripped from DS1.

Advertisement