Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Project...

• 21-04-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Figured I'd stick this up here.. Working on a new project, which is the same as my old project... A Yamaha Dragstar 650. I converted one to a bobber around 3 years ago and sold it on and have wanted it back every day since, current owner isn't selling any time soon so I said F it.. I'll go and do it again.

Picked up a fairly tatty Dragstar about 6 months ago and have been too busy to do anything with it.. Finally got started on it today with the old man and set about stripping it down.

This is it when I got it, was a running bike being sold for parts.. I bought the parts I wanted.. namely the frame, engine, electrics, wheels and forks.. everything else was removed.

2013-08-13%2009.02.02.jpg

Today we started on the rear of the bike, got the wheel and swingarm removed, tank, started with the electrics and the exhaust... Lots of cursing, drilling out bolts and eating left over BBQ.

Will get a pic of how it stands now up later...

Plans for the bike are to continue to strip it down, clean it up. Get frame blasted and powdercoated, change anything shiny to flat black, powdercoat wheels candy apple, custom paintwork, custom fenders and seat, drag bars, clean up cabling as much as possible, clean or replace exhaust, whatever else, get it all back together and running and enjoy it..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Another day of work and finally got more pics.. Bike is completely stripped down now, getting parts ready to go and get blasted and powder coated. Engine came out easier than we expected.. Swing arm needs some serious blasting to see what it's like underneath.

2014-04-27%2014.03.jpg

2014-04-27%2014.48.17.jpg

2014-04-27%2014.48.jpg

2014-04-27%2015.59.11.jpg

2014-04-27%2015.59.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus stock up on teabags and figrolls mate......that looks like a head scratcher!!!

Best of luck.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Jaysus stock up on teabags and figrolls mate......that looks like a head scratcher!!!

Best of luck.

Getting it back together will be interesting... As my dad said, there'll prob be enough bits left over to build a second bike..

Undecided as to what to do with the bike, very tempted to just do a copy of my last bike as that's the reason I'm building this one.. only this time do all the bits I never got to do on the last one..

DSCF3336.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I had a dragstar 650 and loved it, very comfortable bike even two up. I think they make great custom's so will be looking forward to you updates! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unklerosco wrote: »

DSCF3336.JPG

That is frickin gorgeous. And despite riding a H-D everyday, I wouldn't even consider myself a custom 'fan'.

Hats off to you :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

unklerosco wrote: »
    DSCF3336.JPG

Gorgeous man.

Love the colours and the tank. Did you get the tank painted ?

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Gorgeous man.

Love the colours and the tank. Did you get the tank painted ?

Yep, madclowndesign.com did it.. working with him again on the paint job for the new bike... not sure what way to go with it, he's given me a lot to think about.

Anyone any recommendations for powder coating? I've used tallaght powder coating in the past, just looking to shop around for prices..

Advertisement