Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Auckland

Options
  • 22-04-2014 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Having lived in Auckland for over two years I’m still undecided on whether it is somewhere I envisage staying long-term or not.

From day to day living in the suburbs (Mt Eden, Kingsland and Ponsonby – I’ve moved about over the years), Auckland for the most part is a desirable place to be. Property prices are at comically high levels in these locations but it’s easy to see how any suburb in Auckland can develop into a desirable one in the space of a decade. So buying property in other Auckland locations that are slightly more affordable is not a complete deterrent to a long-term stay.

But the most alarming thing about Auckland is when you venture into the city centre (which has been about a dozen times in 2 years). It feels alien to the Auckland I experience daily – Asian residents predominantly speaking non-natively (NZ is tied moreso to Asian than Britain going forward so this will be the upward trend), zero charm in the infrastructure….. just soulless and non-relatable. It feels like its heading towards an identity crisis. Tourists must have trouble connecting with the place on a short stop-over.

Kiwis have been labelled ‘passionless’ before (Ref: Gordon MacLauchlan’s book) for a myriad of reasons and it seeps through into the city. The nightlife is lacking spark and is on the verge of being vapid. I just see social regression more than progression for the Auckland future.

But should I care about these things…. get a house, settle down and live way out in the ‘burbs.

How do you feel about the current state of the city (infrastructure, demographic, people and identity) and where it's going....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Auckland as far as I have experienced it is just a bit Meh.
    Wellington >>> Auckland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I've experienced that weird disconnect in the CBD many times when I've visited. I stayed out in Parnell in a hostel for a while and got used to the suburb life, but every time I went into the CBD it almost felt pointless. I guess if I got to know and favour some coffee shops, restaurants and pubs around the same area it would have grown on me but I nevr clicked with Auckland and any time I've been there for pleasure or business I've not really had a fantastic time there. Its a nice city as they go and certainly a very cool place to live compared with other cities, but it just has no soul for some reason.

Traffic really sucks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Auckland isn't too bad, there are plenty of nice spots- the harbour, West Coast, volcano cones but it could be so much better.

Totally destroyed by traffic and roads. Queen St is a disaster on foot with the wide roads and waiting for lights- takes about 40 minutes to cover 1k. The waterfront from the viaduct eastwards is utterly wasted- Tamaki drive is a disgrace really. The Domain and Parnell are nice but really cut off from the CBD by the Grafton Gully road.

Still they've made and continue to make the conscious decision to given the city over to the car, so can suffer the fairly predictable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bossdon

Im moving up to Auckland from Queenstown at the end of May and Im looking for some advice on where to stay. I hear North Shore is a nice area but Its my first time in Auckland. Also can anyone recommend a good hostel to stay in while Im looking for place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Auckland = Sydney for beginners.

Best avoided, IMHO. But if you must, stick to the city suburbs. Avoid the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

bossdon wrote: »
    Im moving up to Auckland from Queenstown at the end of May and Im looking for some advice on where to stay. I hear North Shore is a nice area but Its my first time in Auckland. Also can anyone recommend a good hostel to stay in while Im looking for place?

I've been in Auckland the past 9 months and I have to say I really like it. Weather is pretty mild. Climate is much more bearable than Oz. Haven’t seen much rain over the past 6 months, although its starting to rain quite a bit now. Not as bad as home though! Really nice suburbs just outside the city (10min walk). Parnell, Newmarket, Ponsonby... great spots with great restaurants and cafes. There’s a cool hostel in Parnell called Lantana Lodge- pretty homely spot if you’re after a bit of peace and quiet and good rates. Nomads has a pretty good name if you’re more keen on the party atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Don't go near Christchurch anyway. Biggest ****hole I've ever been to. I despise this place with every fibre of my being...

In fairness it was destroyed by an earthquake.... What did you expect ??

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Don't go near Christchurch anyway. Biggest ****hole I've ever been to. I despise this place with every fibre of my being...

If you dont like it, leave. The place was destroyed and is being rebuilt. The amount of people stuck there trying to get their life back in order and you complaining about the place. Counter productive.

And Auckland. Its grand. Nice suburbs and beaches. Limited appeal to the actual city centre. Lacks some character.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

I've been in Auckland for about 2 months now and I love it. There's always stuff to do such as night markets, music festivals, non Hollywood blockbuster movie theaters, food courts serving the most delicious and cheap asian food, fruit markets, beaches, regional parks for tramping, camping and fishing, museums. I don't drink much but the few times I have been out I've been to some really nice bars. Also the weather has been so mild (I used to live in Wellington-shudder).

I use public transport so I fly into/out of work in the bus lanes. Traffic, if you are in a car, looks abysmal during peak times :/.

All in all I would highly recommend it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement