Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa / MC card limits

Options
  • 22-04-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Was with Danske , limit of €4k+ on Visa card. Moved to another bank ( I moved 3 years ago but kept dual accounts until Danske closed) and applied for Visa card for me and wife. Mastercards came back with 2x€1k limit. Now she has no credit history and I had all my Visa statments for 4 years to hand. It's as if we were first time customers all over again. Seemingly my credit history with Visa means SFA, and if I wanted to rent a car they need a €1.4k security deposit which I couldn't do with my new MC :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You don't have credit history with "Visa" (or MasterCard) but with Danske, which you've built up over time. Credit limits don't transfer automatically between banks, and a limit is as the discretion of the card issuer.

In the good old days, you would often be matched, or given better - but those days are long behind. All the banks are a lot more cautious now. Be thankful you can get a replacement card. Many others have found themselves unable to find replacements with other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You are first time customers all over with your "new" bank and they have their own credit card guidelines and scoring system which determines what limit they think is appropriate for you.

Neither Visa or MasterCard are issuing you cards, banks do this under license, having a visa card does not mean you have a relationship with Visa directly.

Also where do you get that 1.4 K security limit for a car from? I don't think that a car rental agency is per-authorizing a hold of 1.4 K on a car rental, that does not look right to me. I know a lot of people that rent cars and this is the first time I hear about that.

As BuffyBot says, there a loads of people out there that could not replacements for their Danske Bank cards you are lucky, but still why don't you talk to your branch manager about it and see if they can do something for you.

Advertisement