Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea, UCL SF, k/o 7:45pm UTV

• 22-04-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

First of the UCL semi finals take place tonight.

Atletico have the best defence and remain unbeaten in this years UCL so far.

Chelsea go in on the back of a their 1st EPL home defeat under Jose.

Expected team :
    Atletico Madrid :
    Courtois
    Juanfran Miranda Godin Luis
    Koke Tiago Gabi Arda Turan
    Villa
    Costa

Chelsea
    Cech Azpilicueta Cahill Terry Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

Chelsea have doubts over Hazard and Cech, Cole is expected at LB but talks are that Luiz might fall into ond of theFull back slots and bench Cole with Mikel or Lampard replacing him in CM.

Eto'o is out with a minor niggle.

I'm expecting Atletico to win this 2-1 which wouldnt be the wrose result and would give us a good chance in the return leg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

2-0 Atletico, Costa with both goals.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Tough nite for Chelsea expected. Hoping for a draw.

I’d be worried if Cole started – he would be well rusty given the little game time his had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

i'd hope for a score draw but realistically way we've played last few games it'll be a struggle. confidence and morale seem low and heads go down very easily. no plan B when things go to ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chelsea to lose but still be in with a shout for the 2nd leg, and Hazard to pick up a knock which rules him out for at least a week will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

If we are to win this game it won't be won tonight that's for sure. If there is any doubt over Hazard I hope he is kept for a fitness run Sunday with a view to full participation next week at the Bridge.

Seen as Ash did not play in either of our matches since PSG it is reasonably clear TSHO does not intend to play him tonight so I would expect Luiz to play at RB. That is a huge risk but see little option as it stands.

Ram is under pressure tonight as well I am getting really sick of his brain farts, he needs a proper disciplined performance tonight it is way too long since we saw one from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hopefully a comfortable win for Atleti so they don't get too distracted from the league. Would love to see them win the double.
    I don't think Atleti will win comfortably, just hoping it. I,myself sure it'll be a tight tie over both legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Chelsea to lose but still be in with a shout for the 2nd leg, and Hazard to pick up a knock which rules him out for at least a week will do me.

If theres any doubg about Hazard I'd be surprised if hes risked.

If he starts tonight it'll be becasue hes 100%, risking him tonight and possibily ruling him out for a few weeks would be a disaster for us.

I'd be happy to go with Schurrle, Willian Oscar if it meant Hazard is fit for the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just looking at the sides on paper you would have to say Atleti have the better XI, which surprises me a bit saying that.

Mourinho will look to keep things tight and Atleti are not really the type of team to blow you away with a lot of goals, so I would expect this to be in the balance going to Stamford Bridge.

However goals will be hard to come by for Chelsea with Torres leading the line against an excellent Atleti defence.

Prediction: 1-0 Atleti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Van Ginkle has travelled with the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gonna be a tough game for Chelsea. If they can score in a narrow defeat i'd consider that a good result for them. Anything better would be a bonus.

I think 1/2-0 Atleti though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Looking forward to seeing how the two teams play tonight. I'm expecting both teams to keep it tight. Or will Atletico take the game to Chelsea, as they did v Barca? Cant see Chelsea scoring an away goal against this well drilled Atletico side.
    1v0 Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So does the losing manger get the utd job? Great incentive to win this game then:pac:

But in all seriousness I can see this going all the way over two legs to penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hoping we can get an away goal anyway! Think it will be 2-1 to Atletico which wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

So does the losing manger get the utd job? Great incentive to win this game then:pac:

But in all seriousness I can see this going all the way over two legs to penos.

I dont think anyone would wish that on them :pac:

Should be an interesting game, the atmosphere tonight, liek it has been all season, will be white hot.

Its a huge test for us and also Atletico, we're nowhere near as bad as Barca at the back, Atleticlo will get chances but I'd be surrised if we're anyway as open as Barca were on that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this tie had 2 goals or less over the 2 legs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I actually expect Chelsea to win both legs without too much issue. Not sure why but I think their game will hinder Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Expect an old school defendering lesson from both sides. Madrids workrate is amazing can see that shading it for them.

Really would have preferred Munich, tie is tight and could be won in the end on the quality of strikers so...

Costa / Villa

Eto'o / Torres / Ba

Oh God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Atletico to go through easily over the two ties.
    They play a similar style of football to Chelsea but are superior in every department.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

They play a similar style of football to Chelsea but are superior in every department.

It will be tight and the bookies seem to have Atletico as favourites but you write off a Mourinho team at your peril.

Also I'm pleasantly surprised by the news that Van Ginkel has traveled with the squad, it would be a huge risk to throw him in tonight but Mourinho has been known to take gambles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 15 matches against Spanish sides in the Champions League (W6, D9).
    - Chelsea are unbeaten against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League (W1, D1), scoring six goals and conceding just two.
    - Mourinho has won three of his four matches against Atletico Madrid in all competitions (L1).

Dont know much about Athletico to be honest, havent watched them play at all.

Im hoping that we wont do worse than a 2-1 loss though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Less worried about this game then the likes of the ones against Norwich and Cardiff, bar the night in Paris the team always seems up for the big games, if hazard starts possibly schurrle up front as a more defensive approach? Expecting them to give a good account of themselves over two legs but atletico to go through

A draw or a narrow Athletico win would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I can see this finishing 2-1 in Chelsea's favor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but would Atletico be prioritising the league or the CL? I would guess the league?

If we do lose and it sonly by 1 goal we'll have a great chance of going through.

Anything bigger and Atlei could just sit back and counter at the Bridge and pick us off.

No Ivanovic, no matter how sh*te he is going forward is a loss, especially when the alternatives are Kalas, Luiz or Cole.

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but would Atletico be prioritising the league or the CL? I would guess the league?

When you're this close it's hard to say. I'd imagine they'd pick the league but the CL is certainly more prestigious.

Good question

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If we do lose and it sonly by 1 goal we'll have a great chance of going through.

Anything bigger and Atlei could just sit back and counter at the Bridge and pick us off.

No Ivanovic, no matter how sh*te he is going forward is a loss, especially when the alternatives are Kalas, Luiz or Cole.

Away goal is key

• Advertisement

AS rarnes said, at this stage its hard to tell, you'd really want to make the final now and then its a lottery, anything can happen in the final.

I'd rather Chelsea went sh*t or bust in the UCL as I think the league was out of our reach but if we were in atletis position I'd pick the league given we've a Liverpool at the weekend.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Away goal is key

100%, a 2-1 loss is better than a 1-0 loss.

If we go down by more than 2 goals though I'd say Atletico would have 1 foot in the final, if they keep us out we'll struggle too so an away goal at all costs is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I suppose they'd definitely prioritise the CL if it was Real Madrid they were facing in the final! Maybe less so if it was Bayern.

I suppose they'd definitely prioritise the CL if it was Real Madrid they were facing in the final! Maybe less so if it was Bayern.

I do fancy REal over Bayern in the other SF anyway.

I think their conter attacking football will be very like Real v Barca.

Bayern are a better side than Barca but the principals are fairly similar to Bayerns curernt side and the Barca of old and Peps style.

The rEal v Bayern will be a more entertaining Sf but the Atletic v Chelsea game will be a tactical master piece, whether its from Diego or Jose, it reamins to be seen.

Funny, I think I would have fancied Chelsea's chances v Bayern. This one I can't call.

Looking forward to it, should be intriguing.

Funny, I think I would have fancied Chelsea's chances v Bayern. This one I can't call.

If we dont get through, I'll be shouting for Atelti anyway, their success this year has been brilliant, I hope at the very least they win La Liga and break the Barca/Real dominance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Mourinho factor in CL to me screams 0-0 here tonight

I think we would have got room in behind Munich and there is the grudge of Pep & TSHO also of course. This tie is very hard to call boring 1-1 tonight and 0-0 next week will be fine.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Mourinho factor in CL to me screams 0-0 here tonight

We went after Galatasray and PSG in the away legs, nothing to suggest we wont do the same here.

An away goal is vital and sitting back and hoping for a 0-0 wont do us any good.

I expect us to go for it and sit back if we nick a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It will be tight and the bookies seem to have Atletico as favourites but you write off a Mourinho team at your peril.

I just think Atletico will be physically too strong for Chelsea .
    They have an immense work rate and are a very physical side ,Chelsea wont be able to overpower them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

1-0 to Atleti in a tight, niggly, cagey and poor game for us neutrals tonight. There be more fireworks on the sidelines than on the pitch tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

2-0 for Athletico, Chelseas form has been poor lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Atletico are seriously quality, especially at home, Chelsea will be doing well to get anything from this. A 2-1 loss probably wouldn't be too bad for them but I can't see too many goals in this, 1-0 win for Atletico imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Torres to score and put Chelsea up 1-0 only for Costa and Turan to reply and set up a great second leg with Atleti leading 2-1.

Serously I'm fed up hearing about Costa this, Costa that. He is a quality player but the real star of that team for me is Arda Turan.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Is this on Sky sports tonight ? if so what channel, I dont see it in any of the listings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

ManofStraw wrote: »
    Is this on Sky sports tonight ? if so what channel, I dont see it in any of the listings

I thinks its on UTV, and either of rte/tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm hoping that Mourinho gets out-Mourinhoed by Simeone and Athletico to win 2 - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hope to see 3 nil to Atletico , should be a good game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

dobsdave wrote: »
    I thinks its on UTV, and either of rte/tv3

Its utv and tv3 every Tuesday game and rte 2 every Wednesday game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Atlético!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Going against the grain here, Chelsea to win 2-0.

• Advertisement
Advertisement