Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea, UCL SF, k/o 7:45pm UTV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

An exquisite game of football if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

God how I hate Chelsea, total anti football. I hope Atletico knock them out next week with a fluky goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You could change the record

I wasn't listening to any records, I was watching the Chelsea game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Well why did you watch?

I was waiting for the spectacle, it never came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Chelsea always playing good teams have the whole team back "Parking the bus as some call it" how is that good football. It's a disgrace, and their suppose to be a good team as some on here call them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Chelsea's style of football tonight is from the Jurassic era! And West Ham get accused of 19th century football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Chelsea may be happy enough tonight as they didn't get beaten, but they're still up against it. They might be at home for the second leg but they surely won't be as defensive, I can see Atletico scoring at least one meaning Chelsea need two, and with a few big absentees it'll be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What is the point of winning football if the fans cant bare to watch it?
    Shocking stuff, god knows why I looked forward to this all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Ba should be given MOTM for that quality 1 minute contribution; a booking for time wasting and a hoof clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Chelsea are a disgrace. Mourinho behaving like Trappatoni, showing no faith in his players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mourinho not shaking Simeone's hand. The man is as classless as they come.

What about the bit where he took the puppy from the blind kid in the crowd and just booted it right into the Atletico dugout.

Horrible human being IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Richard Jolly ‏@RichJolly · 5m
    Chelsea's CL semi-final scores under Mourinho: 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0. 1 goal scored in 480 minutes (inc extra time).

That's an unbelievable stat considering the talent he has had available to him.

Chelsea are a disgrace. Mourinho behaving like Trappatoni, showing no faith in his players.

A draw away in Europe is a good result, even though it's dire to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cannot believe I witnessed Chelsea park the bus against Atletico. They're not Barcelona/Bayern. You don't actually need to do that to beat them. Me thinks Jose just wanted to piss off the Spanish Press.

Guess, Rodgers knows what to expect now. If Rodgers has any balls he'll play it defensive against Chelsea. They only need a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Well done Chelsea, Jose will be happy with that result. Hopefully JT and Cech are good to go for the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Well why did you watch?

the only thing worth seeing there was petr cechs' schlong, very impressive must be packing 10+
    and eva coming on

going to have a few quid on atletico madrid to go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Loving all the hatred. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A match for people who read Zonal Marking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Jaysus

62% Ball Possession 38%
    26 Goal Attempts 5
    10 Shots on Goal 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Essien wrote: »
    What about the bit where he took the puppy from the blind kid in the crowd and just booted it right into the Atletico dugout.

Horrible human being IMO.

Haha,gave me a good laugh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

SantryRed wrote: »
    :confused: Do you honestly believe Chelsea could go toe to toe with these teams and win?

Eh... yes? They've arguably the best defence of the 4 teams left, certainly better than Real and Bayern. Their midfield is as decent as the 2 Madrid clubs, they don't have Ronaldo or Bale but it is well balanced. Their keeper is on a par to the other clubs, Neuer is probably the best keeper but at the same time there wouldn't be a gulf in class between any of the 4 keepers. The only position they fall down in is up front but even then Bayern, the best team left, aren't too hot up front themselves.

Bayern are the best team in it but I don't think Chelsea would fear them. If by toe to toe you mean play open football then they could win because that's basically a game of roulette at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Thank feck for that whistle, that was muck

I reckon Atletico Madrid are a younger, better version of this particular Chelsea outfit - tactics wise anyway. You'd imagine they'll better them in the 2nd leg, though if it goes to pens who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mourinho not shaking Simeone's hand. The man is as classless as they come.
    He's gone from the man people love to hate to the man everyone just hates.

Maybe Simeone was in a rush for the funeral he was dressed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ok, only spend 2 minutes talking about the champions league semi final which you aired and the rest of the show talking about David Moyes :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cannot believe I witnessed Chelsea park the bus against Atletico. They're not Barcelona/Bayern. You don't actually need to do that to beat them. Me thinks Jose just wanted to piss off the Spanish Press.

Guess, Rodgers knows what to expect now. If Rodgers has any balls he'll play it defensive against Chelsea. They only need a draw.

Rodgers doesn't know how to play defensive.
    Anyway, even if he did, Liverpool aren't very good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ok, only spend 2 minutes talking about the champions league semi final which you aired and the rest of the show talking about David Moyes :confused:.

There's nothing much else to talk about that match. It was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

klose wrote: »
    Oh cmon lloyd, anyone can throw ten men behind the ball and shut up shop. It was 90 minutes of ****housery from mourinho. A decent result for em i guess, even though it gives atleti the edge in the second half imo. A masterclass? Hardly.

Yeah sure, that's why these types of defensive performances are so consistently successful...oh wait! Mourinho got his tactics spot on and the Chelsea players were buying whatever he was selling, their workrate and execution was exceptional throughout.

And Athletico do not have an edge in the second leg now. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pretty much every other manager has failed to not concede against that fantastic Madrid side for me Jose takes a good portion of the credit for this result.

Considering these tic tacs were used in the previous years CO and uefa cup runs it's a bit much 'crediting' Jose. Considering how much abuse benitez got when he arrived it strange to see Chelsea fans still reversing Jose for this type of turd. At least West Ham fans boo big Sam when they play this site.

poor refereeing to let Chelsea repeatedly delay throws and repeatedly feign injury.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah sure, that's why these types of defensive performances are so consistently successful...oh wait! Mourinho got his tactics spot on and the Chelsea players were buying whatever he was selling, their workrate and execution was exceptional throughout.

They have the Away Goal advantage, can see them defo scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Barr wrote: »
    Maybe Simeone was in a rush for the funeral he was dressed for.

Yet it was Jose who rushed off. Must try harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Chelsea would make terrible European Champions, again. But I can see it happening.

What tactics? :confused:

Atletico have the advantage in the second leg. For every goal they score Chelsea need two.

Atletico have the advantage in the second leg. For every goal they score Chelsea need two.

Win at home and you go through? Advantage Chelsea, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Mourinho wanted an away goal against the grain, he didn't get it. Tie on a knife edge, I'd sway with Atletico.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I'm taking that as a yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd also have to go with Athletico for the game at the Bridge. I thought they were very unlucky not to score. Not taking an away goal home is dangerous at this stage for Chelsea.

jive wrote: »
    Win at home and you go through? Advantage Chelsea, if you ask me.

Scored Draw at home and you go out. Away goal is a silly rule at this stage, but it gives Atleti the initiative. Even if Chelsea get the first goal it changes nothing for Atleti. They just need to score 1 before Chelsea get two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Yeah id say with the players Chelsea have out missing it's slight advantage Atletico also. Iv'e watched a fair bit of them this year and they have been very good on the road.

Gabi is a MASSIVE loss for Atleti. Stupid yellow (harsh?) to get and they have no real other player like him. It may just swing the tie the momentum on the pitch in Chelsea's favour. Gabi is a Xavi/Scholes/Busquets type but probably a lot harder. Invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ive no problem with defensive football, but grabbing a nil all away from home is hardly a masterclass which was my point really.

Chelsea will have to go for a goal in the second leg thusly it will be a more open game playing into atletis hands really, if they grab a goal, chelsea need 2 and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gillian Anderson and co can GTFO.

Scored Draw at home and you go out. Away goal is a silly rule at this stage, but it gives Atleti the initiative. Even if Chelsea get the first goal it changes nothing for Atleti. They just need to score 1 before Chelsea get two.

Chelsea had 9 clean sheets in a row at home before the game against Sunderland. Easier to said than done to get a score draw at Stamford Bridge. They haven't conceded in their last 4 CL games at home.

Nothing in it but gun to my head I'd put my money on Chelsea. Bookies will probably have Atleti as slight favourites to qualify after tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

By your reasoning if Chelsea win 3-2 at Stamford Bridge they go out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

I can see Atletico scoring in the next game, even Mourinho/Chelsea can't be that negative at home. Or can they?

Rezident wrote: »
    I can see Atletico scoring in the next game, even Mourinho/Chelsea can't be that negative at home. Or can they?

Can't be... not cause of Mou/Chelsea but cause suspended/ineligible players :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Considering these tic tacs were used in the previous years CO and uefa cup runs it's a bit much 'crediting' Jose. Considering how much abuse benitez got when he arrived it strange to see Chelsea fans still reversing Jose for this type of turd. At least West Ham fans boo big Sam when they play this site.

poor refereeing to let Chelsea repeatedly delay throws and repeatedly feign injury.

Feign?

amiable wrote: »
    By your reasoning if Chelsea win 3-2 at Stamford Bridge they go out

Eh? Nope.

It's quite simple away goals make a significant difference. Winning a match 2-1 without the away goals rule is wholly different to winning a match 2-1 with the away goals rule. The mindset of the team and fans will be different. There's no safety cushion: a scored draw is a defeat. Errors will have more weight on Chelsea than they'd have one Atleti - and errors could well be what decides this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Go back to jelly school you haters.

Only English team left in the competition with a huge chance to get to the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Will we hear Mourinho complain about 19th century football after this game? Doubt it.
    Think it's hilarious that he's never called out on his hypocrisy by the British media.

• Advertisement
Advertisement