Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea, UCL SF, k/o 7:45pm UTV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lukker- wrote: »
    Go back to jelly school you haters.

Only English team left in the competition with a huge chance to get to the final.

If they play like that every neutral will be hoping they don't make the final. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very poor game.

Anti-football won again tonight. Only one team wanted to play football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Rezident wrote: »
    I can see Atletico scoring in the next game, even Mourinho/Chelsea can't be that negative at home. Or can they?

They could go 0-0 and to penalties, and if they really want to do that, it's a likely outcome against Atletico Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Very poor game.

Defending is a big part of playing football isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Very poor game.

OH please, Madrid were at home and they still generally pumped long balls into the box all match. Nothing wrong with that either. Wait til the second leg before you judge. The funny thing is for all the criticism both teams have many similarities, except one major difference, one team has a world class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From the game I was watching, Atletico certainly tried to play more football than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

From the game I was watching, Atletico certainly tried to play more football than Chelsea.

They were invited to do so to be honest.

Chelsea were clearing almost everything coming in at a height. I don't understand why Atletico insisted on putting in high crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The complaints here are bordering on ridiculous. We tried matching fire with fire against Atletico Madrid a couple of seasons ago, it was a disaster then and they have improved since. Mourinho was never going to go to the Vicente Calderon and try to out-football Atletico Madrid to get a result, more equipped sides than Chelsea have tried and failed at that.

The defensive shape was perfect. A lot of people will say that anybody can stick 10 men behind a ball but it's the details and nuances that get results and in every respect Mourinho got it right. He successfully controlled the Atletico overloads, he handled the worry about Azpilicueta and Cole, in particular, being caught out in the air, he condensed the space in front of the defence and between the centre backs. At times Costa was surrounded by a Chelsea triangle which was very similar to how Mourinho stopped Drogba's effectiveness when his Inter side beat Chelsea in the Champions League in 2010.

Without Hazard and Eto'o, with Cech going off early and Terry hobbling off two thirds of the way through, he leaves Madrid with a result which gives us a real chance of reaching the final. Does he have the advantage in the tie? Debatable, but we are in a better position now than we were against PSG, if he can get Hazard and Eto'o back for the second leg then tonight's performance will be viewed in retrospect as a masterclass.

In the press conferences he is box office, the great entertainer, but when it comes to matches the man is purely about winning, that's exactly what his team has every chance of doing in this tie on Wednesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The complaints here are bordering on ridiculous. We tried matching fire with fire against Atletico Madrid a couple of seasons ago, it was a disaster then and they have improved since. Mourinho was never going to go to the Vicente Calderon and try to out-football Atletico Madrid to get a result, more equipped sides than Chelsea have tried and failed at that.

The defensive shape was perfect. A lot of people will say that anybody can stick 10 men behind a ball but it's the details and nuances that get results and in every respect Mourinho got it right. He successfully controlled the Atletico overloads, he handled the worry about Azpilicueta and Cole, in particular, being caught out in the air, he condensed the space in front of the defence and between the centre backs. At times Costa was surrounded by a Chelsea triangle which was very similar to how Mourinho stopped Drogba's effectiveness when his Inter side beat Chelsea in the Champions League in 2010.

Without Hazard and Eto'o, with Cech going off early and Terry hobbling off two thirds of the way through, he leaves Madrid with a result which gives us a real chance of reaching the final. Does he have the advantage in the tie? Debatable, but we are in a better position now than we were against PSG, if he can get Hazard and Eto'o back for the second leg then tonight's performance will be viewed in retrospect as a masterclass.

In the press conferences he is box office, the great entertainer, but when it comes to matches the man is purely about winning, that's exactly what his team has every chance of doing in this tie on Wednesday night.

This tie was always going to be a close one. Mourinho wanted an away goal. He didn't get it. Slight advantage to Atletico Madrid in this one I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Mourinho and Chelsea did what they had to do, wasn't easy on the eye though.

As they've taken those 2 hours from me, I hope Madrid smash them next week.

I like my football entertaining and with a few goals, so sue me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In the press conferences he is a bollix, the great tit, but when it comes to matches the man is purely about winning, that's exactly what his team has every chance of doing in this tie on Wednesday night.

FYP there trout ;)

Lennonist wrote: »
    This tie was always going to be a close one. Mourinho wanted an away goal. He didn't get it. Slight advantage to Atletico Madrid in this one I reckon.

An away goal would have been fantastic and undoubtedly in some wild fantasies he may have had before the game his side would have scored an away goal but the set up tonight made that extremely unlikely, short of of break-neck counter attack or a set piece, the set up's primary goal (bad pun) was not to score but to not concede.

In his interviews after the game he has said that tonight was a game Atletico had to win. Yes he is running the risk of being eliminated on a scored draw and yes his tactics will have to be more adventurous next week which may aid Atletico but you feel that he will be cautiously optimistic that if he can get Hazard and Eto'o back he has quite a good chance of winning at Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For a guy that constantly harps on about the beautiful football Barcelona play I find it odd you can support this anti-football.

rob316 wrote: »
    For a guy that constantly harps on about the beautiful football Barcelona play I find it odd you can support this anti-football.

I'm obviously a complex individual who loves a perfectly executed possession based game as much as a perfectly set up and executed defensive shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its not like we have to win by X amounts or some such, any win sends us through, this tie is finely balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good result for both sides IMO and sets next weeks tie up nicely.

Not a very enjoyable game for those looking for free-flowing attacking football, but Chelsea executed their plan perfectly as 'Andersonisgod' has alluded to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fair play on the result, even if this thread was more exciting than the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Will we hear Mourinho complain about 19th century football after this game? Doubt it.
    Think it's hilarious that he's never called out on his hypocrisy by the British media.

A Spanish reporter actually mentioned that comment tonight! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm obviously a complex individual who loves a perfectly executed possession based game as much as a perfectly set up and executed defensive shape.

I read that as 'I hop on whatever bandwagon is fashionable at the time.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I read that as 'I hop on whatever bandwagon is fashionable at the time.'

Appreciating tactics is bandwagoning?

• Advertisement

Apparently. Even if the bandwagon I hopped on when I was a kid was driven by Gianfranco Zola and won considerably less trophies. While the Blaugrana bandwagon I hopped on came a bit later my support does not waver. It would seem I am quite diverse with my bandwagon hopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Why cant people appreciate a good tactical performance?

Why should Chelsea care if its boring they are paid to win trophies and getting a clean sheet out of tonight was neccessary for having a chance of getting through.

Chelsea Football Club isnt there to serve the wants and needs of Liverpool, United, Arsenal or City fans.

Also if it wasnt for Chelsea then England would only have 3 Champions League places as its Chelsea's European wins over the last two seasons that have kept England to 4 places in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I actually defended Chelsea's approach if you read back.

AIG is 100% right on this one. I couldn't resist being a wum, admittedly a pretty poor one.

Its still a 50-50 tie, first goal will win it IMO, Atleti are boned if Chelsea score first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Jose talking about resting whole first team against Liverpool as he feels playing on the Sunday doesn't give the team enough time to prepare for the Wednesday night game. He has a point but I dare say the league won't be doing cartwheels when they hear it, nor will City.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/23/jose-mourinho-chelsea-liverpool-abramovich?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I guess if I was a Chelsea fan tonight's game would be fine. But as a neutral it was ....

LARRYD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Chelsea may be happy but so will Atletico, clean sheet at home and Courtois had barely a thing to do all night. Most important priority for them tonight was not to concede and it's very much in the balance. Atletico are more suited to counter attacking football and were somewhat reserved even when they did so. That game could have gone on til now and there wouldn't have been a goal, Chelsea have set up like that and kept far better attacking outfits out and Atletico didn't want to take too many risks either. Second leg will be a great game as the tension builds through the match imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If Luiz is playing next week Atletico will have every chance, his notable ability to lose his marker on crosses could fill Costa's boots if Cahill isn't on top form to cover him. I don't think Atletico will be too disappointed not to win, not conceding was vital. Game will be more open for them next week, Diego will find more space to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Horrid game, Chelsea are the most unentertaining team to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really hope this 'San Marino' style line-up is not seen as a template for success. Full backs playing as auxiliary centre backs and wide midfielders as auxiliary full backs playing behind 3 defensively minded midfielders does not make for attractive football.

Yes effective and Atletico barely got a sniff, but dire to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

greendom wrote: »
    I really hope this 'San Marino' style line-up is not seen as a template for success. Full backs playing as auxiliary centre backs and wide midfielders as auxiliary full backs playing behind 3 defensively minded midfielders does not make for attractive football.

Yes effective and Atletico barely got a sniff, but dire to watch.

Chelsea are unbeaten over two legs in Europe since February 2011 doing just that when required. Two European trophies in successive seasons and now a CL semi final so I'd say it's already proven as a template for success. Mourinho's Inter utilised the same strategy to dump out Guardiolaball in 2011 also. Organisation, discipline and heart will always have the ability to defeat more technical opposition in a cup encounter, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Chelsea are unbeaten over two legs in Europe since February 2011 doing just that when required. Two European trophies in successive seasons and now a CL semi final so I'd say it's already proven as a template for success. Organisation, discipline and heart will always have the ability to defeat more technical opposition in a cup encounter, and rightly so.

True but i'd rather watch the under 11's up in the park than watch Chelsea in europe at least you see a bit of goalmouth action.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Chelsea are unbeaten over two legs in Europe since February 2011 doing just that when required. Two European trophies in successive seasons and now a CL semi final so I'd say it's already proven as a template for success. Organisation, discipline and heart will always have the ability to defeat more technical opposition in a cup encounter, and rightly so.

I am guessing you are a big fan of International football Lloyd?

Chelsea for me play a style of football seen more at International level.

the game is lost and won in the space between both boxes, with personal duels needing to be won, and the team needing to be so disciplined that it resmebles a game of chess at times.

a form of football for the connoisseur type fan if you will.
    One who likes the layers of football flavours rather than just the sugary topping that happens within the 18yrd box.

Eight Ball wrote: »
    True but i'd rather watch the under 11's up in the park than watch Chelsea in europe at least you see a bit of goalmouth action.

Chelsea and Mourinho don't care about your desire to see goalmouth action nor should they. They care about winning ****, something they do well.

In any case, I find the 'that was dreadful' reaction on here a bit off. I thought the game was fascinating last night. Chelsea had set up in such a way that mitigated against Athletico's strengths and preffered MO and worked tirelessly throughout. There was constant pressure throughout. And the atmosphere and sense of occassion was all there.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I am guessing you are a big fan of International football Lloyd?

Chelsea for me play a style of football seen more at International level.

the game is lost and won in the space between both boxes, with personal duels needing to be won, and the team needing to be so disciplined that it resmebles a game of chess at times.

a form of football for the connoisseur type fan if you will.
    One who likes the layers of football flavours rather than just the sugary topping that happens within the 18yrd box.

Yes I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Chelsea and Mourinho don't care about your desire to see goalmouth action nor should they. They care about winning ****, something they do well.

In any case, I find the 'that was dreadful' reaction on here a bit off. I thought the game was fascinating last night. Chelsea had set up in such a way that mitigated against Athletico's strengths and preffered MO and worked tirelessly throughout. There was constant pressure throughout. And the atmosphere and sense of occassion was all there.

Last night showed why he was detested by everyone in Spain by the time he left - including Real fans.

The Spanish media isn't as sycophantic as the British media so doesn't fall for his 'funny' press conference schtick. They would keep asking question after question about his team's tactics: 'Why did you play a centre back in midfield? Why play counter-attack football with the most expensive team in history? Why the endless negativity to us when we ask questions?'
    So Mourinho - like the spoilt child he is - took his ball and ran home to Chelsea.

Last night was embarrassing. They have a wage bill four times that of Atletico, yet they played 10 men camped on the edge of their box for the whole game. The British media won't question him - but make no mistake, the rest of Europe will have hated that. And will absolutely love it if Liverpool trash them this weekend.

Hope they do and Atletico grab a 1-1 over at the bridge next week. :)

Yes you can admire the discipline and hard work that goes with grinding out results like that, but I really hope such methods don't continue to prosper. Just because it works doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.

Yes I am.

I am guessing Italys performance in the 2006 WC final would have been like porn to you, but a borefest for the majority? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

If there is lots of goalmouth action then your defense is not doing its job and by extension neither is the manager. The ability of AM to counter attack and defend is very well known. Had they come to the bridge with any sort of lead it would have been very hard to draw back, common sense suggests we cannot let them score first. I would expect they will see it much the same next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The quote in your sig is fairly apt here Lloyd.

Everyone would accept it if we went out and just took our beatings the same way United, City and Arsenal did. But since we're doing something they don't do, which has proved largely successful for us in the past, we're wrong.

Pretty football isn't necessarily winning football, whether the neutrals like it or not.

• Advertisement

Last night showed why he was detested by everyone in Spain by the time he left - including Real fans.

The Spanish media isn't as sycophantic as the British media so doesn't fall for his 'funny' press conference schtick. They would keep asking question after question about his team's tactics: 'Why did you play a centre back in midfield? Why play counter-attack football with the most expensive team in history? Why the endless negativity to us when we ask questions?'
    So Mourinho - like the spoilt child he is - took his ball and ran home to Chelsea.

Last night was embarrassing. They have a wage bill four times that of Atletico, yet they played 10 men camped on the edge of their box for the whole game. The British media won't question him - but make no mistake, the rest of Europe will have hated that. And will absolutely love it if Liverpool trash them this weekend.

Hope they do and Atletico grab a 1-1 over at the bridge next week. :)

Perhaps because the Spanish / Madrid press hate TSHO. The most expensive team in history they obviously have little ability with a calculator or abacus they should really look at how much other teams are worth my guess is RM and Barca in Spain cost a few bob more than Chelsea.

People believe what they want to believe, but then I am a Chelsea supporter. I enjoyed last nights match but then I also enjoy test match cricket, tactical battles are interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The strange thing is that people are surprised at the way Mourinho lines out. It's the norm at this stage, he is so worried about perceptions of himself that the primary focus is not to lose rather than to go out and try win the game. When he does his round up of todays newspaper reports on the match they will talk about Mourinho's tactics rather than players performance and he will consider that as big an achievement as the result last night.

I am sure Chelsea fans are swallowing his rhetoric about not having the squad/players to compete but that's boll*cks, they are very capable of competing when the players are allowed, which they showed for 20 minutes in the first leg against PSG. I'd say Mourinho breaks down in tears when he thinks of those 20 minutes.

as I said last night during the game its highly boring, highly impressive stuff that Chelsea play.

Im not giving out about it and would give my right nut to be in Chelsea's position right now (well maybe after Sunday ;) with being 90mins of football (at home) from being in the CL final.

and I am guessing that most of those giving out about how Chelsea are playing would trade places in a heart beat.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes you can admire the discipline and hard work that goes with grinding out results like that, but I really hope such methods don't continue to prosper. Just because it works doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.

Again, these methods have been consistently prospering in European and Cup football forever, and they will continue to do so barring some fundamental law changes. Last night was nothing new: Mourinho already has two Champions Leagues doing the same thing; Chelsea in 2012; Liverpool in 2005; Greece in the European Championship in 2004; Wigan in last year's FA Cup.

For the real connoisseur it would have to be Greece winning the Euros in 2004. Strangling the life out of opposition strike forces and football alike.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The strange thing is that people are surprised at the way Mourinho lines out. It's the norm at this stage, he is so worried about perceptions of himself that the primary focus is not to lose rather than to go out and try win the game. When he does his round up of todays newspaper reports on the match they will talk about Mourinho's tactics rather than players performance and he will consider that as big an achievement as the result last night.

I am sure Chelsea fans are swallowing his rhetoric about not having the squad/players to compete but that's boll*cks, they are very capable of competing when the players are allowed, which they showed for 20 minutes in the first leg against PSG. I'd say Mourinho breaks down in tears when he thinks of those 20 minutes.

You know TSHO personally then, does he also break down when he looks at all the medals he has won?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If there is lots of goalmouth action then your defense is not doing its job and by extension neither is the manager. The ability of AM to counter attack and defend is very well known. Had they come to the bridge with any sort of lead it would have been very hard to draw back, common sense suggests we cannot let them score first. I would expect they will see it much the same next week.

How do chelsea plan on scoring in the second leg so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chelsea's style is their perogative.

Mourhino is effective and he doesn't give a sh1t about anything else. And he doesn't have to.

If you don't like watching it, then switch off. I did after 30 mins. It's a trick I learned years ago watching Rafa and Jose go head to head in the CL.

Don't piss and moan about it though. Pragmatic managers win cups.

My only gripe is that we're still calling him TSHO. I mean, he's not happy at all! Moyes probably smiled more than him so far this season.

gosplan wrote: »
    Chelsea's style is their perogative.

Mourhino is effective and he doesn't give a sh1t about anything else. And he doesn't have to.

If you don't like watching it, then switch off. I did after 30 mins. It's a trick I learned years ago watching Rafa and Jose go head to head in the CL.

Don't piss and moan about it though. Pragmatic managers win cups.

My only gripe is that we're still calling him TSHO. I mean, he's not happy at all! Moyes probably smiled more than him so far this season.
    Ah now if we can't puss and moan then Boards would cease to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gosplan wrote: »

Are we?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was perfectly legitimate tactic, which was execute efficiently and gives Chelsea a great chance of getting to the Champions League Final.

Doesn't make it any less boring though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement