Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which surf sit on top kayak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Donegal surfkayak

The generic sit on top kayaks are not the best of craft for surfing in and if you are a river kayaker you would be better to try and pick up an old 90's style play boat, If your own river kayak is too big and heavy for the surf eg a creek boat or to short and bouncy like the modern play boats the old skool playboats might be a better option.
    They have the right type off length for speed on take off they have a long flat hull area with hard edges to help edging into waves which help carve tighter turns on the wave they also have enough rocker at the bow to aid against nose diving on take off and for getting out over waves. They are getting a little harder to find 2nd hand but normally are cheap to pick up used.
    Some of the surf specific sit on top kayaks are just too heavy and long to be of much use in the surf and are normally used by heavy weight paddlers.
    I've used the Islander Hula sit on tops for surfing on, the max paddler weight is about 11st. They have a good shape are fairly flat bottomed and lightweight and not that expensive even new.
    By far the best sit on top surf craft is a waveski hard to come by used, the composite ones are not that user friendly but there are some new plastic ones coming onto the market that look like they could be good for more beginner and novice paddlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

be careful about weight limits if buying a proper waveski. Most of the cheap used ones on ebay (Raider or Dirty Habits) are only suitable for kids under 11st . If an adult sits on one, itll sink and you will fall off. The exo model you linked does not look great and is also only suitable for light people. Look for a perception 5-O . Its probably about the best affordable surf sit on top and would hold its value pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

I have owned 4 kayaks over the years, I have surfed all of them..

RTM Loko this craft was actually quite good, but not the most comfortable..

Feel free Nomad this I owned for only 2 weeks and got sent back as it was leaking and claimed warrenty, but fell out of love with it.
    The surfing qualities only okay.

Ocean Kayak Mysto, supposed to be a surfing craft this agin was only okay, and turned slower than the titanic, seat position very high...
    Not great..

My current one a Tootega Pulse, you get an 85 or 95
    8.5 foot or 9.5 foot.
    I have an 85 as im only 75Kgs.
    The beauty with these are you can get a smaller one for lighter people easier to control, and of course larger or the larger paddler..
    Surfing capabilities are tremendous, its nearly as good as a proper surf kayak..
    Highly recommend its won tons of awards too..
    check them out..

Advertisement