Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I charge for babysitting?

• 22-04-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm going to be babysitting 2 under 10 years old children for two weeks during the summer holidays. It will be from breakfast until 6pm each day but I'm off on the weekends. I will be living for free in their house and getting free meals. How much should I charge altogether?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Around 200 a week as a pure guess based on this but it would really be down to a discussion with the family in question and what you've agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only advice that we can give here is that you will be a domestic employee (because you're in the children's house, not your own), so you should be paid at least minimum wage.

Therefore you should be registered with Revenue, and your employer should be paying PRSI for you.

I'm not sure what guidelines they have for the tax treatment of provided meals and accommodation, especially in situations where being on-site 24x7 is a requirement of the job.

Advertisement