Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athenry - Tuam Railway Line

Options
  • 22-04-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

When will the railway line be open? Is the big question. This railway is only 25km. The cost is so great to open it. And the worst thing is Ballyglunin. It was used for the filming of the Quiet Man and now it is just a disused building. I read a report and it said it is pointless opening Ballyglunin. So I think Ballyglunin should be made into a vistor centre or something.
    Does someone have any detailed maps of the railway?

Comments

To answer your question, not until the 2030's at the earliest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Quiet Man tourist thing has been done to the death at this stage.

They've been flogging that one to yanks up in Cong for over 60 years now.

It's a bit cringy to be still milking a movie that was made in 1952.

As for the rail line re opening. I can't see that ever happening if the motorway between Tuam and Gort goes ahead.

The trains on the Limerick line are too slow and there's no reason to assume the Tuam line will be any quicker with all it's twists, turns and level crossings.

There was some talk a while back of turning it into a cycle tack. It's a shame, but the railway would never pay for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

When will the railway line be open? Is the big question. This railway is only 25km. The cost is so great to open it.

If Minister Varadker has his way sounds like it will never open unless it's a profitable proposition ! He's reviewing existing lines / stations that are not achieving viable footfall so unlikely to open new ones - I don't think the Gort/Galway link is goin so well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

At €5.80 for the 7km Oranmore to Galway trip, I hope you have shares in Iarnród Éireann to pay for your 25km journey....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lapin wrote: »
    The Quiet Man tourist thing has been done to the death at this stage.

They've been flogging that one to yanks up in Cong for over 60 years now.

It's a bit cringy to be still milking a movie that was made in 1952.

Oh, I dunno, Salzburg get's unreal mileage out of the sound of music, and Belfast managed to get an entire 'quarter' out of Titanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

To answer the OPs question, when we(The Irish) mature to a point where we realise that infact linear development along rural roads depending on private cars and septic tanks is not sutainable and that instead development of nucleated settlements based on a central transport hubs and mains sewer systems is the way forward then we will see the Tuam line re-open or be rebuilt on a more direct alignment.

I fear that point in our development is a long way off, and the point at which our leadership(typically behind the general population in terms of cop on) reach that point is even further off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Let me put it this way, aside from the LUAS, there has been no new Railway routes built on this Island since the formation of the Republic, I doubt there will be anytime soon.
    I always thought they should have developed this line first over the Ennis to Athenry line as it might have alleviated some of the pressure off the N17 until they could get their fingers out on the M17, but hey ho there we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, why do you want it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How much would it cost? Railway v's a Greenway? Clifden to Oughterard Greenway (55km) is costing €9 million. Imagine Tuam to Athenry Greenway would be far cheaper. It's 25 km plus less clearing works need to be carried out on the Tuam to Athenry line. I would guess it would be at least 1/10 the cost of a Railway + maintenance and running costs are even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

The people of Tuam have spoken in the recent local elections and elected three pro-greenway Councillors. None of us will ever see a train running on this track Its not going to happen in our lifetime. Either an electric bus corridor or a cycle way, or possibly both, is what needs to be considered. Low investment costs, no continued subvention and real investment in sustainable local infrastructure. BTW - Ballyglunin Station is now a refurbished community building and visitor center. Tuam Station is a very fine Café. Tuam Golf Club is on the line about 1km south of Tuam. Why not join them all up and continue into Athenry with a Greenway which can be put aside when/if national government decides to reintroduce rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Trains running on this track is pie in the sky stuff.

Advertisement