Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landcruiser 7 seat passenger reg change

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont think you get a pin when taxing it in your name the first time in your name- well I didnt- I went to tax office, they said I needed a cert of commercial insurance along with my pps number, got form signed in garda station and that was it. Renewed tax on line there the other day with pin, but as said for first taxation in your name you need to go to tax office

did you need to prove that you are a business at any point ? Did you need a VAT # ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

bennyc wrote: »
    did you need to prove that you are a business at any point ? Did you need a VAT # ?

A certificate of commercial insurance was enough. This was in louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

I see what you mean. However and that's my guess after reading all the posts in this thread and others, if a car has been converted to crew cab, has the engineer certification and has passed the DOE (NCT for commercial vehicles) and has obtained the commercial tax €333 per year then remains the same for the future and regardless if the new owner has a business, has to carry 3 workers or the family.

There is no need to produce proof of those facts because that was produced already, when the tax is due to be paid I guess again all you need to do is get a pin number for renovation then pay.

Other people stated in this thread that they were grand with gards checkpoints and never questioned anything.

I've explained already why that approach won't work. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but it is fact.

There are lots for sale as someone else said because people aren't entitled to tax them.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

Packrat wrote: »
    I've explained already why that approach won't work. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but it is fact.

There are lots for sale as someone else said because people aren't entitled to tax them.

What about the fact below? There are ways and I would like to hear everybody, that's another fact, but don't expect me to believe just a unique individual only because he explained something already, by your tone sounds like other's opinion/experiences don't matter, wrong in a forum, mate.
    A certificate of commercial insurance was enough. This was in louth

Thanks whelan :)

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can get a PIN for private tax online as soon as the vehicle is in your name, for commercial tax you can't you have to drop down to an office. The only way to avoid it is for the seller to tax it, but that's only pushing the problem out a year.
    in fairness to the lad we bought it off he wouldnt sell it to us unless we could tax it ourselves commercially, did the doe the other day. 1 thing to make sure of when buying is that you get the paperwork from the conversion

• Advertisement

Quick question for whelan. Since you have commercial insurance, are you allowed to carry people and are they still covered or is just only cover for the driver and goods?

Thanks.

Quick question for whelan. Since you have commercial insurance, are you allowed to carry people and are they still covered or is just only cover for the driver and goods?

Thanks.
    COVERED FOR passengers, cleared it with insurance company

COVERED FOR passengers, cleared it with insurance company

Thanks whelan, at last someone throws some light on this!

In summary, it is possible to have a commercial taxed vehicle with commercial insurance yet still covering passengers, which in my opinion sounds like fair.

##EDIT##
    May I ask if you own a company or did you have to show any proof to your insurer in order to get commercial insurance? That seems to be the only requirement when you go the tax office to tax your vehicle for the first time since you own it I understand, no questions about business (at least at the Louth office).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Can anyone advise what passenger jeeps will qualify for commercial vrt on import provided it is left with 5 seats?Also what is the max year that the jeep can be?

Thanks whelan, at last someone throws some light on this!

In summary, it is possible to have a commercial taxed vehicle with commercial insurance yet still covering passengers, which in my opinion sounds like fair.

##EDIT##
    May I ask if you own a company or did you have to show any proof to your insurer in order to get commercial insurance? That seems to be the only requirement when you go the tax office to tax your vehicle for the first time since you own it I understand, no questions about business (at least at the Louth office).
    I have a farm, so have a commercial policy. I also would have known the girl I was dealing with in tax office who knows I am a farmer

• Advertisement

I have a farm, so have a commercial policy. I also would have known the girl I was dealing with in tax office who knows I am a farmer

Those help indeed. At this stage I'm not 100% sure about buying a crew cab car honestly, there are some bits & bobs on all this matter.

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

What about the fact below? There are ways and I would like to hear everybody, that's another fact, but don't expect me to believe just a unique individual only because he explained something already, by your tone sounds like other's opinion/experiences don't matter, wrong in a forum, mate.

Thanks whelan :)

Oh - snarky with me because I took the time to lay out the legislation and procedure surrounding it.

That's grand so. You kept asking the same question till someone gave you the answer you wanted all along.
    Let us know how you get on. Good lad. Doubt we'll hear back from you once the tax office tell you the same thing I did.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Packrat wrote: »
    Oh - snarky with me because I took the time to lay out the legislation and procedure surrounding it.

That's grand so. You kept asking the same question till someone gave you the answer you wanted all along.
    Let us know how you get on. Good lad. Doubt we'll hear back from you once the tax office tell you the same thing I did.

I don't know what's wrong with you, seriously, you sound really upset and challenging, don't take it bad mate, no big deal, we're here to share experiences and help each other that's all.

One thing is the legislation, which I appreciate you took the time to find out about this matter, and another thing is what other people have come across in the process and depending on the county tax office.

I can't take only what someone says but many testimonies to get a better idea about bits & bobs. Of course you'll hear back from me, either if it worked or not, I think other people might find it useful in the future.

Peace and love :)

Btw, AXA came back to me with this:
    "With regards to swapping to a commercial vehicle. This would require setting up a new policy altogether, a commercial vehicle policy. Regardless of using it for social purposes it would still be classed as commercial.

With regards to amending you car policy details, you can actually amend your class of use at any time. Are you trying to do this online? If you are experiencing difficulties do not hesitate to give us a call on 1890247365, we are open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturdays 9am - 4pm."

Advertisement