Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular PC Games At the moment

Options
  • 22-04-2014 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for popular PC Games available on steam or origin.
    I have recently got into PC gaming but don't know which games are good.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What genre?
    Single player or multiplayer?
    If multiplayer, MMOs or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You just asked the equivalent of: "Recommend me a decent book" in AH. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sorry guys
    I don't particularly have any favourites just games they on popular.
    I have only played football manager 13/14 so don't know what id like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Your going to end up with a recommendation of 10,000+ games if you dont be a bit more specific.
    I'd say you cant go wrong with Civ 5 or Dayz but some people aren't into those games either

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thing with PC that it is one huge generation and it has massive backlog of games. Old games being refreshed and done better with mods.
    The amount of genres spread over triple A and indy games is huge.

The first thing you should start off: What sort of PC you got and what spec it is. No point recomending you something like DayZ or Bf4 if your PC cant handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

might be an idea to give him the more popular recent releases from each genre, let him go check them out on whatever review website or youtube and he can make up his own mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I dunno much about Origin but Steam has a whole load of game demos available to download, so that'd be a good place to start. GOG is worth a look too, they're cheap and reliable and a great source of ancient classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Sorry guys
    I don't particularly have any favourites just games they on popular.
    I have only played football manager 13/14 so don't know what id like.

If your looking multiplayer games.. the most popular games, probably in order are..

League of legends (MOBA)
    World of Warcraft (MMO)
    DoTA2 (MOBA)
    Heartstone (Card game)
    Counterstrike: Global Offensive (FPS)
    Diablo 3:RoS (ARPG)
    Team Fortress 2 (FPS)
    DayZ & Rust (Survival)
    Starcraft 2 (RTS)

Games like BF4, Planetside 2 etc are all pretty popular too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The guy is a self confessed newb, those acronyms mean nothing to him folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well... im sure he knows how to google sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id start with the Valve stuff maybe? Half 2, portal etc. I assume you have a Steam account? If so loads of games on steam have demos that you can try out. Dayz is probably not a good introduction to PC gaming if all you've played before is football manager, its not a finished game and the learning curve is quite steep.

Popular shooters that are also good would be Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolutions. The Hitman games are also good. All these are single player but there are tons of online multiplayer shooters as well like Battlefield 4, all the Call Of Duty games and stuff like Left 4 Dead 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Planetside 2 etc.

There are some good rpgs as well, Skyrim, the Fallout series of games, The Witcher 1 and 2, Dark Souls 1 and 2, Dishonored, Dead Island.

I know I've left out loads of good stuff like Minecraft etc but there are too many to list!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Older stuff, but some superb strategy games on this list and they're cheap: http://www.gog.com/mix/totalbiscuits_definitive_list_of_strategy_games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's far too many to name, but you can just take a look through the PcGamer top 100 and pick a few.

www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/01/2013-preview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Im enjoying War Thunder at the moment and its free! World war 2 plane action.

Edit: I would also recommend Fallout nv , Skyrim and shadow warrior returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Go through the top 100 and find games you think you might like on steam, then add them to your wishlist and buy them when they're below €10.

For a bit of craic get goat simulator. The last Tomb Raider is a short well made game that doesn't require a lot of devotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

let us know what games you think you would like to try and we can tell you where to get them cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Witcher 1 + 2

Can be got fairly cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Most popular at the moment? Let me check a certain site that shall not be named and sort the list by a certain parameter and see what it tells me.
    1. Call Of Duty Ghosts
    2. Battlefield 4
    3. Wargame Red Dragon
    4. Assassins Creed IV Black Flag
    5. Need for Speed Rivals
    6. Thief
    7. Batman Arkham Origins
    8. Max Payne 3
    9. GTA IV
    10. Fifa 14
    11. GTA San Andreas
    12. Splinter Cell Blacklist
    13. Battlefield 3
    14. Hitman Absolution
    15. The Sims 3 Complete Deluxe Edition
    16. Call of Dity Black Ops 2
    17. NBA 2k14
    18. Bioshock Infinite
    19. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    20. Crysis 3
    21. LEGO The Hobbit
    22. South Park The Stick of Truth
    23. Resident Evil 6

I don't own most of em' except for Batman. :pac:

I'd personally recommend Garry's Mod, F.E.A.R, Killing Floor, Just Cause 2 (multiplayer mod), Planetside 2 (free) Fallout 3/New Vegas (With lots of mods) and the Penumbra series for some horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'd say Deus Ex (Best game ever) Spec Ops: The Line

DayZ and something strategy to cool you down after. Age of Empires or Civilisation or Command and Conquer.

Advertisement