Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Certificate

Options
  • 22-04-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Didn't know whether to post this in here or the Laois forum but mods please feel free to move. Basically im looking for a wiring cert to be done on a house in Laois. House has never been lived in since being built in 2007 and so electricity has never been switched on(although there is some units on meter), ESB is looking for a cert before switching it back on. Not in a major hurry, next couple of weeks will do. If anybody is interested can you PM me prices/availability. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i think reci/ecssa has to write to the original contractor first before the job can be transferred for completion

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

i think reci/ecssa has to write to the original contractor first before the job can be transferred for completion

Really? What happens if the original is not know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

macnug wrote: »

i'm not sure but reci have wrote to me a few times to allow other contractors to finish my jobs from ghost estates

as i'm no longer registered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This is the ECSSA change of contractor procedure.

http://www.ecssa.ie/wp-content/themes/ecssa/core/pdf/Change%20of%20Contractor%20Procedure.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Really?

Yes.
    What happens if the original is not know?

Not normally an issue.
    It would be best if you could contact the electrical contractor that did the work.
    Would this be difficult ?
    A number of regulations have changed since 2007.
    You should be eligible for a dispensation though.

• Advertisement

So should my next step be getting onto reci then instead of of an electrical contractor?

2011 wrote: »
    Yes.

Not normally an issue.
    It would be best if you could contact the electrical contractor that did the work.
    Would this be difficult ?
    A number of regulations have changed since 2007.
    You should be eligible for a dispensation though.

Yet cant find out any info as it is in NAMA and its a buy as you see type of situation.

Sorry just out of curiosity, if I buy a second hand house and get a contractor to to some minor/major electrical work, does the house have to be certified by the original contractor again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

So should my next step be getting onto reci then instead of of an electrical contractor?

Your first step is to find an REC, they will process everything for you, you as a customer should not have to get involved in any of the paperwork or contacting Reci or ecssa, your REC will process all the necessary paperwork involved along with any alterations if needs be to your installation, issue a cert to the regulatory body and gets processed from there.
    There may be a fee involved from esbn for reconnection to which they will tell you which will need paying before they energise their side of the installation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^^ what he says

• Advertisement

Your first step is to find an REC, they will process everything for you, you as a customer should not have to get involved in any of the paperwork or contacting Reci or ecssa, your REC will process all the necessary paperwork involved along with any alterations if needs be to your installation, issue a cert to the regulatory body and gets processed from there.
    There may be a fee involved from esbn for reconnection to which they will tell you which will need paying before they energise their side of the installation.

Cheers, Is there a list of REC's anywhere? What kind of alterations would be needed, could we be talking big money? Everything was brand new when installed so shouldn't it all be still fine? Yea I have already got a quote from the ESB, its getting a local REC seems to be the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What kind of alterations would be needed, could we be talking big money?
    They may be no alterations needed, your rec will be the judge of that.
    its getting a local REC seems to be the hardest part.

Ask your new neighbours, local shops etc they will recommend good local rec.

Cheers, Is there a list of REC's anywhere? What kind of alterations would be needed, could we be talking big money? Everything was brand new when installed so shouldn't it all be still fine? Yea I have already got a quote from the ESB, its getting a local REC seems to be the hardest part.

Both the www.ecssa.ie and www.reci.ie websites have a find a contractor section which will give you a list based on where you live.

Thanks lads!

Have an REC coming tomorrow. Any idea how long it will take for the electricity to be switched on? Do I just give it a week then call ESB or do the ESB contact me? I sent the payment in last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

They'll wait till your rec gives them the cert macnug, shouldn't be too long after that, within a week perhaps.

Don't bet on it. Apartments we are working on,the owner was waiting a month for the ESB to turn power on.

superg wrote: »
    Don't bet on it. Apartments we are working on,the owner was waiting a month for the ESB to turn power on.

Oh no way. Did he ring them to get it switched on or did it just come on one day.

Advertisement