Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate roofing cost?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

Would anyone be able to help me? My elderly mother has a 2 storey old period house. My family are trying to work out the pros and cons as to whether or not she should sell the house and move into something smaller with little no maintenance. I have contacted several roofing companies to seek out prices but they all wish to call. My family don't want my mother to know as she would run the caller out as she" doesn't trust any one". The roof has about 1700 slates and needs to be re felted and re slated in a man made slate such as a tegral trutone or smilar. Would any one be able to give me just a rough guide as to the cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ferryman35

You won't be able to get a good quotation without someone looking at the roof. Depending on the age of it and what is on it already you might have a couple of options.

If you have natural slate already, a significant proportion of what you have might be reusable, and so you would only have to source the replacements. If you have to replace the roof, then you have the options of manufactured slates / natural slates / or a slate effect tile. You might find a natural slate that can perform equally as good or better than a manufactured slate for a similar price to a good manufactured slate. The slate tile might be cheaper because less tiles are required, but your structure needs to be suitable, and they may or may not look right on the house because they will look alot 'chunkier' from the ground. If you are working with natural slate you should use a roofer experienced with natural slate.

We have completed a restoration of an old slate roof and are also doing a new build and I can pm you contact details for a man I found very good to deal with.

You'll also need to see how good your rafters are - it might be necessary to just replace one or two and you should also consider what insulation strategy would be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JUST SO NUTTY!

Thanks for your post!

Advertisement