Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Chopping (Free)

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hello,

this is more of an enquiry really. I have about 35 coniferous/ palm trees about 35 foot tall. We would like to get them taken down but there are two issues for us. Firstly is the cost and secondly is the equipment which we neither have or are able to use for trees of this size. I have heard of people chopping down trees free of charge and in return they get to keep all the firewood and mulch to do with however they like (sell, etc). I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone who does this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You could try offering this to either Freecycle or Jumbletown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Your biggest problem is that most people won't have the insurance necessary, so if they injure themselves on your land or damage anything of yours then you are liable

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Also, you should be clear if the trees are coniferous or "palm"- conifers make good firewood, Irish palm trees are useless for firewood- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_australis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I presume they are leylandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Coniferous/Palm = presumably a link with the 'palm' that is given out on Palm Sunday - as wildlifeboy says, probably laylandii!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ronanluke

Thanks for the feedback. Ya there Leylandii's but are well out of hand at this stage.

Ronan, you will need to get a qualified and insured tree surgeon in and also if they are more than 100 feet from your house you will need to apply for permission to fell them. Expect to pay over €1000 for the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

ronanluke wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Ya there Leylandii's but are well out of hand at this stage.

Yikes! They be monsters!

35 feet for leylandii is not that big to be honest, they are a big tree and can look fantastic on their own in a parkland setting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

monkeynuz wrote: »
    35 feet for leylandii is not that big to be honest, they are a big tree and can look fantastic on their own in a parkland setting.

Yes...but in a residential setting they're a monstrous,light-blockin eyesore.

• Advertisement

are the op's trees in a residential setting then? I wasn't saying that they aren't an eyesore just the person i replied to seemed surprised at the size.

The op hasn't given anymore information than the size and quantity of trees.

They are not monstrous, it's just that most people are too lazy or tightfisted to look after them properly.

@monkeynuz How much information are you looking for as I said in the question its an enquiry. Also why would I be looking for someone to cut down trees in a parkland area?? Its obviously residential and as for lazy if you could see the amount of work necessary to maintain the place whilst working a job. Is it actually possible to start a forum anywhere on the internet without someone throwing in smart, unhelpfull and trolling comments to make them feel good about themselves.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback, unlike monkeynuz you have been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Just a suggestion but have you thought about getting a cheap Chinese chainsaw cost around 100 Euros and taking them down in your own time..35 feet is not really very big and unless they are very near your house should be easy enough to handle.

archer22 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but have you thought about getting a cheap Chinese chainsaw cost around 100 Euros and taking them down in your own time..35 feet is not really very big and unless they are very near your house should be easy enough to handle.

Chainsaws are not for people who dont know what they're doing...they themselves are dangerous and so is felling trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferg29

Ya...totally agree with Chopper 6 and ronanluke. 35 trees which are 30 foot plus is a serious job. Trying to take them on with a 100 quid chainsaw is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Where are you Ronan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chopper6 wrote: »
    Chainsaws are not for people who dont know what they're doing...they themselves are dangerous and so is felling trees.
    especially cheapo chainsaws.
    i was in fairyhouse market a couple of years back, and saw a sthil chainsaw for sale. and that's not a typo; the font used was the stihl one. i can't imagine a counterfeit chainsaw would be a reassuring product to use.

especially cheapo chainsaws.
    i was in fairyhouse market a couple of years back, and saw a sthil chainsaw for sale. and that's not a typo; the font used was the stihl one. i can't imagine a counterfeit chainsaw would be a reassuring product to use.

I've used the Lidle eletric chainsaw to cut up medium sized logs and the chain kept slipping off...if this happens up a tree and you end up cutting yourself you will find yourself very quickly in the Hurtlocker.

Chainsaws can be lethal,as can using a ladder to cut down a 30 ft tree and should be left to somebody at least halfway competant.

@monkeynuz How much information are you looking for as I said in the question its an enquiry. Also why would I be looking for someone to cut down trees in a parkland area?? Its obviously residential and as for lazy if you could see the amount of work necessary to maintain the place whilst working a job. Is it actually possible to start a forum anywhere on the internet without someone throwing in smart, unhelpfull and trolling comments to make them feel good about themselves.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback, unlike monkeynuz you have been very helpful.

Steady on, I am not trolling and I never said you were cutting trees in a parkland setting, try reading things properly.

You were the one that started a thread by assuming that someone would be grateful enough for 30 odd conifers from your land which in fairness is not the best timber that they would cut them and remove them for free, bearing in mind anyone that would be willing to do this would almost certainly be uninsured and probably not competent enough to do the job.

Sorry if you didn't get the answer you were hoping for.

As for saying you are lazy, I said people are lazy or tightfisted, I did not specifically say you.

That's the problem with trying to advise people when they don't want advice they merely want you to confirm their own thoughts.

• Advertisement

You say obviously residential....not obviously, it could be you have a farm, calm down.

You say obviously residential....not obviously, it could be you have a farm, calm down.

If he had a farm he'd already know how to cut down trees...or at least wouuld be friendly with somebody who could.

Steady on, I am not trolling and I never said you were cutting trees in a parkland setting, try reading things properly.

You were the one that started a thread by assuming that someone would be grateful enough for 30 odd conifers from your land which in fairness is not the best timber that they would cut them and remove them for free, bearing in mind anyone that would be willing to do this would almost certainly be uninsured and probably not competent enough to do the job.

Sorry if you didn't get the answer you were hoping for.

As for saying you are lazy, I said people are lazy or tightfisted, I did not specifically say you.

That's the problem with trying to advise people when they don't want advice they merely want you to confirm their own thoughts.

Well you asked the question "is it residential?" while also going on about parkland settings so I did read it properly. Also yes I was looking for advice but a simple "yes I've heard people do that" or "no I haven't heard of that" would have sufficed. So no I'm not looking for anyone to confirm my thoughts just helpful advice which I have been given by everyone else in the forum. The reason I started this thread is because I have heard of this type of situation happening and was looking to see if many other people out there may have encountered a similar situation. The problem with someone like you trying to advise people is you just want to be heard regardless of whether its good advice or not.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Where are you Ronan?

Cork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well you asked the question "is it residential?" while also going on about parkland settings so I did read it properly
    what (s)he said was that leylandii can look great in a parkland setting; it was clearly not a reference to your trees. this was before any clarification as to your setting.
    as far as i can see, monkeynuz's comments were in response to other people's comments (which they're freely allowed to make) so it wasn't as if the comments were unsolicited.

chopper6 wrote: »
    If he had a farm he'd already know how to cut down trees...or at least wouuld be friendly with somebody who could.

Not entirely so, go over to the forestry forum and see the number of farmers looking for people to cut trees, like I said, not obvious.

Advertisement