Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid Autosport

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭

New Grid game being released on June 27th but such a pity it's not coming to next gen! Grid 2 was good but I never finished it, never held my interest. This one sounds more interesting though with different classes.
    The third entry in the Grid series accommodates five very different styles of racing: touring, endurance, open-wheel, tuner competitions and street racing. Each mode features unique features and the entire game contains over 100 routes across 22 locations dotted around the world.

Also, in-car view will be making a return.

hock041397750838jpg-a2994a_960w.jpg

hock011397750837jpg-9aa7cf_960w.jpg

jarama021397750838jpg-a2994b_960w.jpg

sanfran031397750839jpg-9aa7d1_960w.jpg

yas031397750842jpg-9aa7d4_960w.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Codemasters havent made anything decent since toca,doubt this will be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Feels like the first Grid was better received than the sequel. Hopefully they can get the series back on track (pun not intended).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It was. GRID 2 was full of disappointment. In a few blogs they've mentioned they're going back to TOCA Roots with more sim-like handling, I have high hopes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see the likes of this doing to well on PC at least. There's too much competition, you've got rFactor 2, Assetto corsa and Project cars that are in a league above this type of game.

If assetto Corsa does make it to consoles as it's rumored, it could cause a real shake up in the driving game market, that is if it doesn't flop for being too much of a sim, but people are playing it with controllers and seem to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see the likes of this doing to well on PC at least. There's too much competition, you've got rFactor 2, Assetto corsa and Project cars that are in a league above this type of game.

If assetto Corsa does make it to consoles as it's rumored, it could cause a real shake up in the driving game market, that is if it doesn't flop for being too much of a sim, but people are playing it with controllers and seem to be enjoying it.

I dont know, AC is a fantastic Sim, but it is not a game. Grid is a game. I love just to "drive" meaningless in AC thanks to g27, but I do miss some of the game structure and progression.
    I am still going to see how this will pan out. I am a bit surprised it is launching so soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I dont know, AC is a fantastic Sim, but it is not a game. Grid is a game. I love just to "drive" meaningless in AC thanks to g27, but I do miss some of the game structure and progression.
    I am still going to see how this will pan out. I am a bit surprised it is launching so soon too.

I think the games aim is just to fix everything wrong with GRID 2, give the core audience what they want. It seems more like an expansion than a standalone game to me, but if they deliver on their promises of better car controls and more unified single and multiplayer experiences, I'll probably buy it.

I'm +1 with you on AC btw. It's unfinished and unpolished in places, and at times I just don't enjoy playing it at all.

I think the games aim is just to fix everything wrong with GRID 2, give the core audience what they want. It seems more like an expansion than a standalone game to me, but if they deliver on their promises of better car controls and more unified single and multiplayer experiences, I'll probably buy it.

I'm +1 with you on AC btw. It's unfinished and unpolished in places, and at times I just don't enjoy playing it at all.

Aye, Cockpit view will help too. Kind of pointless getting Grid 2 on PC, when you play with steering wheel. I know there is mod already, but it is not the same.

AC will be great when finished. When it will be finished is a huge question. I am pretty sure it will be a lot more fun when it will add multiplayer.

Yeah we still have to see how the game side of things will turn out. I like the way kunos went about it though, get the core physics of the game down and then add to that. At the end of the day it's the driving that matters and AC is the best "driving" simulator out there at the moment.

They won't be able to put the gloss on it that the big boys can but I think, technically it's superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They seem to be including alot of the enjoying parts of Grid that they excluded from Grid 2 like the cockpit view, touring cars, and (initially) demolition derby. Grid 2 is a terrible single player game but enjoyable enough multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hope they don't balls it up like they did with Dirt 3 by having half the cars as DLC only and including a load of BS trick driving or 'challenges' as un-skippable parts of the career mode.

I just want TOCA style game without a rubbish 'career' mode. I want to be able to pick any team and drive a full season and see how high I can place.

Unlockables and artificial career modes have ruined these kinds of games. I don't have the time to grind through modes that I have no interest in just to play the core game.

The sense of achievement should come naturally from winning a full season on the hardest difficulty mode that you are competitive in.

FPS games have a great idea of 'hardcore' mode where certain parts of the HUD and assists are turned off but this is compensated for by having a more realistic bullet damage and no health regen (it takes very few bullets to kill someone regarless of the gun)

I'd like a similar mode for this kind of game where there is a full calender of races with practise sessions (optional) and qualifying, no restarts in the track menu, no map, realistic damage, no rubbish 'flashbacks' but also compensated for by having the other drivers make more mistakes so you can still win the championship even if you do not finish some of the races.

This hardcore mode could easily exist alongside the normal mode with the more casual friendly options for people who just want a quick race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Have this pre loaded on Steam. Is there any way around unlocking it if they don't release it tonight for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is getting such a quiet release, prob being 'last gen' but it's looking really good. Having a look at the list of cars and it definitely looks to have more variety than Grid 2.

http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/06/the-cars-of-grid-autosport/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reviews starting to appear, sounding very good.

9/10 from CVG
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/469264/grid-autosport-xbox-ps3-pc-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Pre-ordered this on simplycdkeys last week (nice price). Grid 2 may not have been great but we knocked a good bit of craic out of it playing multiplayer so looking forward to doing the same with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Pre-ordered this on simplycdkeys last week (nice price). Grid 2 may not have been great but we knocked a good bit of craic out of it playing multiplayer so looking forward to doing the same with this.

same as

I would like to see the multiplayer done a bit better , a bit easier to find a game that isn't all pro's driving lvl 4 cars . I like this and have owned every version since Toca ( loved the split screen racing with my mate until 4 in the morning ) , but I haven't really been impressed since Toca 2 . I don't want a sim , I don't want to have to go through all that comes with different set ups and I don't want to be beaten on the track by someone who is better at set ups than me , I have no problem been beaten by a better driver ( thats because I have loads of experience of that ) . But at the same time I don't want a floating car and I think that Grid gives me the closest thing to what I am looking for . I also like the idea of driving cars that are close to real world street cars ie Ford Focus , VW Golf , Honda Civic .

I will wait and see reports on how it works with G27. If the word around is good about too, then I will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

For anyone on the fence I'm enjoying this. It's not too arcadey and not too sim'y. It balances things just right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Love the fact that it's actually a proper challenge even on normal difficulty

COYVB wrote: »
    Love the fact that it's actually a proper challenge even on normal difficulty

Yep. It makes doing qualifying laps a must to get a good grid position.

Anyone of you tried it with G27? Does it work well?

• Advertisement

Nope. Just with the XBox controller. Which inspired my gaming weakness thread.

Are you guys previous GRID veterans? I hated 2, is it better than 2? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Are you guys previous GRID veterans? I hated 2, is it better than 2? :P

Everyone hated 2

And yes, very much

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Picked up a copy a few weeks ago, I'm liking it thus far.

However the cockpit view is terrible bad, they would have been better off not having the option rather than having the one they use.

IPF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

COYVB wrote: »
    Everyone hated 2

And yes, very much

Not everyone. I really enjoyed it. This one is harder though, slightly less arcadey.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    For anyone on the fence I'm enjoying this. It's not too arcadey and not too sim'y. It balances things just right.
    It's not even remotely sim'y, it's like driving a tin box. The force feedback is as basic as it gets, it's just a bit of turning resistance. Zipping through traffic is fun but there's not really much of a challenge in it with a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have to say when i got Grid 2 i couldn't stop playing it. This, i haven't played in a good few days. It's just not keeping my interest. And the endurance races are pants.

Advertisement