Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain misalignment --(may be duplicate or some thing funny happened)

• 22-04-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I recently noticed a lot of slack in my chain and on closer inspection i have noticed that the wheel adjusters sliders are not in line.

I am guessing that this is the reason for the much quicker chain wear, am I right?
    ps. a mechanic was the last person at this when the back wheel was changed.
    pics attached of the "sliders"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes misaligned rear wheel will cause quicker wear.

However you cannot depend on the markers being 100% accurate. It could be that the mechanic measured the distance and they are correctly aligned. How far have you ridden since it was last adjusted?

Get yourself a measuring tape and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

well it seemed fine until the new tire went on, but we will see later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I used to measure the distance from the blocks from the back of the swing arm with a vernier calipers, found that the markings are always off on the last 3 chain bikes I had.

maybe your right, I may wish to invest in some of these calipers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can get laser chain alignment tools as well.
    Not too expensive
    http://www.louis.de/_10e79d5e68c3b6d0058016e194cf10f740/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10003097

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

First get your wheel alignment true. This can be done by using string, google it to find out how.
    Here's a link to all you need to know,
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tech/chainadjustment

OK, got home last night measured everything and it is as far out as the images would lead you to believe. which as 6mm if anyone is interested.
    I'm going to look up that string trick forty yoyos seems a bit steep at the moment.
    have you got one of those laser yolks CJhaughey, what do you think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Very handy tool to have (laser) but you aint gonna use it alot, better off getting a set if digital vernier calipers (the cheap ones in lidl/aldi are grand) and that will have you sorted for €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Very handy tool to have (laser) but you aint gonna use it alot, better off getting a set if digital vernier calipers (the cheap ones in lidl/aldi are grand) and that will have you sorted for €15.
    Actually they won't check your chain alignment, they will give you distances but they don't align the chain to the countershaft sprocket like the laser will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

as mentioned in other thread, doesnt look like the axle is seated correctly into that alignment block

• Advertisement

my mechanic got back to me and told me "some times chain pressure can moved them if lock nut is not tight".
    I don't want to start a row or throw my toys out of the pram but shouldn't he have made sure they were tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

cant really tell from the pictures, but is/was the block flush against the adjustment bolts?

it could happen as he says, which means a) he left the chain too tight, b) didnt tighten the main axle nut sufficiently (though, could be as result of the bolt not being seated correctly), and c) somehow fecked up the adjustment bolt on that side, leaving space for the block to be pulled forward under chain tension

could also happen by yanking on the axle nut when tightening, pulling that side out of alignment before the nut is torqued enough to stop further movement

whatever the reason, I'd going elsewhere for similar work in future, pretty feckin shoddy imo..!

I think so, I have a warranty with him and need my carbs cleaned but I really don't trust him to do it.

but it would be free , wonder what it costs, any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Have him do it then check it when you get home with the string method?

you can check carbs with string?
    or are you talking about the chain.
    i straightened the chain myself.

Is the many mechanics that would allow you watch as they worked (on your bike)?

Advertisement