Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long until we are charged to post on here?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

How long before Distilled Media charge us to make accounts?

With adverts now charging for successful sales today Adverts will apply a €3 fee to items sold that are over €30. This fee will be taken from your adverts.ie credit or the mobile number that you registered with. Is the ad money not enoght? I don't see any other sites doing this

"Hi everyone,

My name is Odhran Ginnity, I am CEO at Adverts.ie. I would like to update you with news on our exciting growth and some changes to our advertising fees.

Adverts.ie is now Ireland's biggest classifieds website, with over 670,000 items available for sale today. In the past 3 months alone our members sold €56 Million worth of new and pre-owned items across the country.

To support the growing volume of transactions, we have been working hard to build a product where people can buy and sell items in the fastest time possible, from people they can trust. We put a huge emphasis on ensuring that this is always at the forefront of our product road map, and over the coming years we will continue to invest in developing our product and service, especially across our mobile platforms.

You will notice that our Pricing structure for new ads has changed from April 22nd 2014. We still offer that great free to list service, and now if you sell an item where the asking price is greater than €30, a small success fee will apply.

It is important to highlight that if there is no sale - there is no fee - and all items that you have currently live on the site with us will not be affected.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at feedback@adverts.ie or check out our Help pages.

Best wishes
    Odhran"
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It just gives the opportunity to other people to set up new free to use adverts sites.

It is a disgusting move by Adverts.ie and gives a two fingers to existing users, hopefully people vote with their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If, like Adverts, I'm only charged for posts of high value, I'll probably end up in minus figures so boards will actually have to pay me to post in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seem to be doing their utmost to close the site.

Moved from After Hours. Feedback charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

Moved from After Hours. Feedback charter now applies.

What? why no one reads this section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

Oooh, so exciting! I can barely contain myself :rolleyes:

So let me get this straight they are reviving more traffic so there ad revenue should be up so why do they need more revenue? Greed ruins everything.

What? why no one reads this section

From the AH charter:
    Posting on After Hours to reach a larger audience is not allowed.

€3 on €30 is ten percent of the asking price!
    Not in the least bit cheeky.

From the AH charter:

Looked like a valid AH topic to me.
    Concerns a lot of people and I'm sure they would like to be informed and make comments.

kneemos wrote: »
    Concerns a lot of people and I'm sure they would like to be informed and make comments.

It's a question about the site in its entirety, so here it is, in sitewide feedback where it's much more likely to be seen by the people who can answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Most threads with negative remarks towards Distilled Media seem to end up in feedback even when it's not feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

€3 on €30 is ten percent of the asking price!
    Not in the least bit cheeky.

It's not €3 on €30.

€0-29 = Free
    €30-49 = €1
    €50-99 = €2
    €100+ = €3

So the biggest percentage (I think) is €2 on €50 which is 4%

Source: http://www.adverts.ie/successfees

bumper234 wrote: »
    Most threads with negative remarks towards Distilled Media seem to end up in feedback even when it's not feedback.

It's also not an AH topic though. The thread title is asking "How long until we are charged to post on here?" and the OP is asking if people will be charged to make accounts on Boards. That's quite clearly a Feedback thread, or possibly even Help Desk.

Penn wrote: »
    It's also not an AH topic though. The thread title is asking "How long until we are charged to post on here?" and the OP is asking if people will be charged to make accounts on Boards. That's quite clearly a Feedback thread, or possibly even Help Desk.

That was obviously rhetorical.The main purpose of the OP was to question Adverts price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ahhhhhh technicalities :rolleyes:

Oh how odd it is that a thread giving feedback is moved to the Feedback forum. :pac:

Seriously, some people like to see conspiracies where there are none. As for Adverts charging a relatively small fee (€3 out of €100 really isn't bad!), then why not?

That was obviously rhetorical.The main purpose of the OP was to question Adverts price increase.

Question who, though? Question the people of After Hours? It wasn't their decision. A thread there will just be people complaining about the extra charge.

There's a thread in the Talk To Adverts.ie forum where people can discuss this with the Adverts Staff. That's the most appropriate place for that discussion. Or if the question is about Distilled Media or Boards and any effect Adverts' new policy will have on Boards, here is the most appropriate place. It's not "technicalities", it's the fact that, as Whoops stated, one of the AH Forum rules is not to post in AH to reach a larger audience.

Question who, though? Question the people of After Hours? It wasn't their decision. A thread there will just be people complaining about the extra charge.

There's a thread in the Talk To Adverts.ie forum where people can discuss this with the Adverts Staff. That's the most appropriate place for that discussion. Or if the question is about Distilled Media or Boards and any effect Adverts' new policy will have on Boards, here is the most appropriate place. It's not "technicalities", it's the fact that, as Whoops stated, one of the AH Forum rules is not to post in AH to reach a larger audience.

Question the pro's and con's and let people have their say about a general news item.
    The OP is clearly about Adverts price increase so why is it in Boards feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is the question regarding boards.ie accounts or adverts.ie accounts?

The OP is clearly about Adverts price increase so why is it in Boards feedback?

Oh there's a thread in the Adverts talk to forum discussing the issue if you prefer :)

So. There is a thread here in feedback about the potential for boards charging to use the site, and there is a thread in the adverts talk to forum for people to discuss the new fee.

This isn't an AH thread, and this thread isn't about whether or not it should be an AH thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This is amazingly short sighted.

Bare faced fleecing of loyal customers though.

I have to ask though, Odhran, in what way is it exciting - are you getting a raise or something. Fair play if you are, if you can come up with this plan, implement it and call it "exciting", then you probably deserve the raise. Well done.

Who else is it exciting for? Certainly not the people who are losing money on it, and that's for sure.

Oh there's a thread in the Adverts talk to forum discussing the issue if you prefer :)

So. There is a thread here in feedback about the potential for boards charging to use the site, and there is a thread in the adverts talk to forum for people to discuss the new fee.

This isn't an AH thread, and this thread isn't about whether or not it should be an AH thread.

Thought we were discussing if it was censorship or not to move the OP to feedback.

Thought we were discussing if it was censorship or not to move the OP to feedback.

How is it censorship to move a thread giving feedback to the feedback forum.

If the thread was deleted and there was nothing discussed, then you could claim it was censorship, but given that there is a topic here and in Adverts' own Talk To: forum, then can you really claim it is censorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dunno about everyone else but feedback is one of the best forums to follow. Been doing so since 2007. Calling a thread here censorship is an utter joke, feedback is where boards gets it's chronology

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Overheal wrote: »
    I dunno about everyone else but feedback is one of the best forums to follow. Been doing so since 2007. Calling a thread here censorship is an utter joke, feedback is where boards gets it's chronology

Why were my posts deleted? Censorship? Basically I made my point that I believed the moving of this thread was a form of censorship, then got mocked by a mod because I have been permanently banned from AH to which I challenged to mod to show why I had been banned as it was again due to censorship (politely asked why a thread was closed!) Is this not censorship? Will this post just be deleted?

gallag wrote: »
    Why were my posts deleted? Censorship? Basically I made my point that I believed the moving of this thread was a form of censorship, then got mocked by a mod because I have been permanently banned from AH to which I challenged to mod to show why I had been banned as it was again due to censorship (politely asked why a thread was closed!) Is this not censorship? Will this post just be deleted?
    It was off topic, contact the mod, don't drag this thread off topic please, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Gordon wrote: »
    It was off topic, contact the mod, don't drag this thread off topic please, thanks.

Sorry Gordon, what was of topic? My first deleted post giving my opinion like others have that moving this was censorship? If so why was only my post (which I think we can agree was on topic) deleted? Or was it only after the mod brought my AH ban up that it attracted your ire?

gallag wrote: »
    Sorry Gordon, what was of topic? My first deleted post giving my opinion like others have that moving this was censorship? If so why was only my post (which I think we can agree was on topic) deleted? Or was it only after the mod brought my AH ban up that it attracted your ire?
    This thread is not regarding your ban, if you wish to discuss your ban, take it up in drp forum. If you post against the topic of this thread again I will remove your access from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Re: Adverts new fees:
    It's worth pointing out that there is a feedback thread on the Talk To Adverts.ie Forum.

There is also another thread discussing alternatives if you no longer wish to use the site here in the Online Buying forum. I would really ask that people read this post I made as it might be worth taking on board before all the claims about just how much money Adverts is making - but that's besides the point.

So if you want to discuss the introduction of these fees on Adverts, those are the 2 places you can do it.

Job done, moving in...

Some important points. Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are 2 separate businesses. Yes, we're all in the Distilled Group, but our 2 websites and businesses are completely different. When Boards makes big changes, we discuss it with you here in the Feedback forum. I'd like to think that we have a rather good track record in that regard and I'd ask you to think about how many websites and platforms that you use daily do this?

So finally to what the OP of this thread asked - how long until you are charged to post on Boards.ie?
    • Has anyone from the company ever mentioned "pay to post" as a potential site idea (April Fools kinds of things aside)?
    • What benefit do you think we get out of charging people to post?
    • How long do you think our site would exist if we did start charging?
    • Do you think I'd let that happen (for the record, I'd be quitting my job and making a lot of noise about this if it ever became even a "well, maybe...." discussion)?
    Let's maybe apply some critical thought to those questions and you'll see that the idea that we'd charge you to post is, frankly, absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dav wrote: »
    Re: Adverts new fees:
    It's worth pointing out that there is a feedback thread on the Talk To Adverts.ie Forum.

There is also another thread discussing alternatives if you no longer wish to use the site here in the Online Buying forum. I would really ask that people read this post I made as it might be worth taking on board before all the claims about just how much money Adverts is making - but that's besides the point.

So if you want to discuss the introduction of these fees on Adverts, those are the 2 places you can do it.

Job done, moving in...

Some important points. Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are 2 separate businesses. Yes, we're all in the Distilled Group, but our 2 websites and businesses are completely different. When Boards makes big changes, we discuss it with you here in the Feedback forum. I'd like to think that we have a rather good track record in that regard and I'd ask you to think about how many websites and platforms that you use daily do this?

So finally to what the OP of this thread asked - how long until you are charged to post on Boards.ie?
    • Has anyone from the company ever mentioned "pay to post" as a potential site idea (April Fools kinds of things aside)?
    • What benefit do you think we get out of charging people to post?
    • How long do you think our site would exist if we did start charging?
    • Do you think I'd let that happen (for the record, I'd be quitting my job and making a lot of noise about this if it ever became even a "well, maybe...." discussion)?
    Let's maybe apply some critical thought to those questions and you'll see that the idea that we'd charge you to post is, frankly, absurd.
    Could you not at least charge trolls and people who consistently go off topic. It would surely make for better fora.

Advertisement