Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long until we are charged to post on here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Could you not at least charge trolls and people who consistently go off topic. It would surely make for better fora.

you mean the content makers?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe I'm going soft in my old age but I genuinely don't see the big deal with charging €1 on every sale over €30 =/

I'd say the anger stems from the fact that it wasn't discussed or made known as a possible move to users before the end decision was made. I'd still use Adverts before the likes of Ebay or DoneDeal simply because of its ties and relationship with Boards, and how easy it is to check seller or buyer reputations transparently, which imo is important and pretty unique to Adverts.

The only thing I'd have a problem with is the fact that if you don't have enough money in your 'wallet' the fee is taken from your phone credit or added to your bill.. which seems a bit intrusive to me. I signed up to Adverts through Boards, and I verified my mobile number on Adverts afterwards. I'm not entirely happy with the idea that brand new terms have been added without offering me the opportunity to opt-out beforehand (I wouldn't have, but still). I didn't share my contact details with the company with the knowledge that one day, Adverts could take funds at their own discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You guys are the world's worst censor if this is censorship. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dav wrote: »
    Job done, moving in...

Some important points. Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are 2 separate businesses. Yes, we're all in the Distilled Group, but our 2 websites and businesses are completely different. When Boards makes big changes, we discuss it with you here in the Feedback forum. I'd like to think that we have a rather good track record in that regard and I'd ask you to think about how many websites and platforms that you use daily do this?

So finally to what the OP of this thread asked - how long until you are charged to post on Boards.ie?
    • Has anyone from the company ever mentioned "pay to post" as a potential site idea (April Fools kinds of things aside)?
    • What benefit do you think we get out of charging people to post?
    • How long do you think our site would exist if we did start charging?
    • Do you think I'd let that happen (for the record, I'd be quitting my job and making a lot of noise about this if it ever became even a "well, maybe...." discussion)?
    Let's maybe apply some critical thought to those questions and you'll see that the idea that we'd charge you to post is, frankly, absurd.

typical politician speak. rule out the worst case scenario now so you can row back to a botched charging scheme based off some world class example or other at a later date once everyone is distracted :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

typical politician speak. rule out the worst case scenario now so you can row back to a botched charging scheme based off some world class example or other at a later date once everyone is distracted :pac::pac::pac:
    Well we know what's coming once they let Lolcats back in Feedback! :pac:

But we'll all be aaawing to much to care anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Could you not at least charge trolls and people who consistently go off topic. It would surely make for better fora.

You do realise because of the halo effect trolls have and the massive amounts of page views and ad revenues they generate from just a handful of posts that the average account you see trolling is actually being controlled from a sweatshop somewhere near Dundrum where countless drones labour over PCs to be even more outrageous than the last all under a generous JobsBridge Scheme run by Daft for "Social Media Managers" don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is it a Done Deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nody wrote: »
    Well we know what's coming once they let Lolcats back in Feedback! :pac:

But we'll all be aaawing to much to care anyway

The lolcats are never coming back.

Trust me, I'm pretty sure I'm the guy who killed them. Although Gordon was the guy who pulled the trigger. It was pretty much suicide by cop, but w/e.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally,
    There are some days I wish boards.ie did charge for account creation, it would certainly stop trolling or atleast reduce it and spamming would be killed in its tracks.

If you look at for example somethingawful which is a pretty popular forum, it costs $10 to setup an account with them. You can also change other people's avatar and text under someone's username by paying out $5 or $10, lots of people do this.

The site is still going, its clearly been a money making thing for them. At the end of the day it costs alot of money to run large web forums.

Just checking the above site and i see they still charge to create an account,
    registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Will boards.ie ever charge to post on the forums, no of course not. don't be silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Cabaal wrote: »
    Personally,
    There are some days I wish boards.ie did charge for account creation, it would certainly stop trolling or atleast reduce it and spamming would be killed in its tracks.

If you look at for example somethingawful which is a pretty popular forum, it costs $10 to setup an account with them. You can also change other people's avatar and text under someone's username by paying out $5 or $10, lots of people do this.

The site is still going, its clearly been a money making thing for them. At the end of the day it costs alot of money to run large web forums.

Just checking the above site and i see they still charge to create an account,

Will boards.ie ever charge to post on the forums, no of course not. don't be silly!

Would boards really have the user base to start charging? something awful i assume is an American forum has a huge market of potential users who will want to post there. Would something like that work in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Maybe introduce a success-fee, that will only apply if someone replies to one's thread. Wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Maybe introduce a success-fee, that will only apply if someone replies to one's thread. Wait....

Nah, 10c per like recieved, 5c per like given.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You guys are the world's worst censor if this is censorship. :D

Nah, the best censors let others think they're not being censored. We're fecking pros.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Lads, the options are clear. Deal with adverts.ie costs or go elsewhere....it's that simple. As far as Dav's statement goes, he could not be clearer. The adverts.ie site costs money to run. Distilled Media need/want money to run it. If you're not happy , find/use an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Lads, the options are clear. Deal with adverts.ie costs or go elsewhere....it's that simple. As far as Dav's statement goes, he could not be clearer. The adverts.ie site costs money to run. Distilled Media need/want money to run it. If you're not happy , find/use an alternative.

Good to have an opinion on things in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I think it is a lot more suited here alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Overheal wrote: »
    The lolcats are never coming back.

Trust me, I'm pretty sure I'm the guy who killed them. Although Gordon was the guy who pulled the trigger. It was pretty much suicide by cop, but w/e.

Cool.

I thought I killed that buzz tbh :/ Before your time though, Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cool.

I thought I killed that buzz tbh :/ Before your time though, Overheal.

Before my time? You're 2008, pup :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Calhoun wrote: »
    Would boards really have the user base to start charging? something awful i assume is an American forum has a huge market of potential users who will want to post there. Would something like that work in Ireland?

SA has around 150k users, Boards.ie has over 600k users.
    So boards is a bigger site, would everyone pay a one off fee? Only the users can answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You're never going to be charged to post on boards now come off it and get out of feedback on over to Adverts if you're that bothered. Vote with your euro.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    SA has around 150k users, Boards.ie has over 600k users.
    So boards is a bigger site, would everyone pay a one off fee? Only the users can answer that one.

Hi Cabaal, where are you getting the SA figures from?

Are you talking about paid subs, or the general user base on SA?

Also, I would have thought SA had a lot more users TBH, a quick Google of the users on just the forums site returns closer to 190,000 than to 150K. I've been a member of both SA and Boards.ie for years, and I would say that SA has a bigger user base, but I'm open to correction...

Finally, you're not comparing like with like. I originally registered with a free account on SA. I think the mandatory $9.95 fee was introduced in 2011, in conjunction with the members (although a bit like the subscribers system here you always had the option on SA).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Hi Cabaal, where are you getting the SA figures from?

Are you talking about paid subs, or the general user base on SA?

Also, I would have thought SA had a lot more users TBH, a quick Google of the users on just the forums site returns closer to 190,000 than to 150K. I've been a member of both SA and Boards.ie for years, and I would say that SA has a bigger user base, but I'm open to correction....
    Google "something awful forums members" and the second link pointing to the forums has as text "Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it ..."

Google "something awful forums members" and the second link pointing to the forums has as text "Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it ..."
    Fair enough, that message has been around for years TBH. Completely OT, but my user cp on SA tells me there are 189,000+ registered users, 79,000,000 archived posts , etc....it was more out of curiosity than anything else I raised the query.

Thats exactly where I got the figure from,
    My guess is its not entirely accurate though,

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

You're never going to be charged to post on boards now come off it
    And yet that is clearly not the case, for example to access the sex forum you must pay, so clearly there is a two tier system in place already.

It's not an unreasonable question to ask if this charging structure will be expanded upon further in the near future. If daft aren't getting the revenue they want from advertisements on these forums, clearly the next step is to start creating a walled garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd hardly call Sex and Sexulaity as an incentive to sub.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Seriously? wrote: »
    And yet that is clearly not the case, for example to access the sex forum you must pay, so clearly there is a two tier system in place already.
    That forum is very quiet so the requirement has nothing to do with making money, and everything to do with the subject matter and ensuring the forum is not accessed by trolls/weirdos/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Dades wrote: »
    ensuring the forum is not accessed by trolls/weirdos/etc.

Yet you let me in :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

They can never start charging to post on boards in fairness. I'd say all the revenue that is generated from this site is because of posters, if you force them to pay you'll drive down the amount of active users, therefore driving down revenue.

Adverts is different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

They can never start charging to post on boards in fairness. I'd say all the revenue that is generated from this site is because of posters, if you force them to pay you'll drive down the amount of active users, therefore driving down revenue.

Adverts is different.
    boards.ie receives about 86,879 unique visitors and 505,635 (5.82 per visitor) page views per day which should earn about $434.39/day from advertising revenue. Estimated site value is $544,825.20. According to Alexa Traffic Rank boards.ie is ranked number 5,292 in the world and 0.0244% of global Internet users visit it. This site has Google page rank of 6. Site is hosted in Louth, 19, Ireland and links to network IP address 89.234.66.107.
    http://boards.ie.hypestat.com/

How in or out is this??

Advertisement