Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long until we are charged to post on here?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

They can never start charging to post on boards in fairness. I'd say all the revenue that is generated from this site is because of posters, if you force them to pay you'll drive down the amount of active users, therefore driving down revenue.

Adverts is different.
    I don't think that they would ever charge to post, but rather charge to access particular areas is something they've clearly played with.
    I take Dates post onboard, but other forums that they host here deal with trolls though the use of access lists so it doesn't ring quite true to me.

Then again there's nothing wrong with them looking to milk us for money, boards.ie is a business after all and making money is what keeps them in business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Seriously? wrote: »
    I take Dates post onboard, but other forums that they host here deal with trolls though the use of access lists so it doesn't ring quite true to me.
    Sounds to me like you're not for convincing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I probably would pay a once off fee if it were charged as I wouldn't want all my posts to go to waste which not paying would render my account inactive and ergo useless.

If I was a subscription sort of thing them ye can feck off! :P

I don't see a real point in subscribing as it is.

Sure it supports the site but isn't that why there's ads literally everywhere?

The name change is the only thing IMO worth paying for.

And as for access to special sex forums... Ha!

No thanks.

Boards, just stay the way you are, with maybe less ads?

Thank you :*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I probably would pay a once off fee if it were charged as I wouldn't want all my posts to go to waste which not paying would render my account inactive and ergo useless.

If I was a subscription sort of thing them ye can feck off! :P

I don't see a real point in subscribing as it is.

Sure it supports the site but isn't that why there's ads literally everywhere?

The name change is the only thing IMO worth paying for.

And as for access to special sex forums... Ha!

No thanks.

Boards, just stay the way you are, with maybe less ads?

Thank you :*

No ads without any guilt is the main appeal of subscribing assuming you're not of the "giving something back" kind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

nesf wrote: »
    No ads without any guilt is the main appeal of subscribing assuming you're not of the "giving something back" kind.

Not worth €5 per month IMO though.

Maybe as a once off payment but that provably wouldn't work in the long run.

Best just stick to putting up with the ads or if you really wanted to get one of those AdBlock things.

€50 (or however much it is) is way too steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Not worth €5 per month IMO though.

Maybe as a once off payment but that provably wouldn't work in the long run.

Best just stick to putting up with the ads or if you really wanted to get one of those AdBlock things.

€50 (or however much it is) is way too steep.

Well, there's two things here. The first is, it's not really intended to be "good value for money," it's a way to support the site that throws in some freebies. The second is that if any function very important to the functioning of the site (e.g. the ability to link video) was put behind a paywall there'd be (justified) rage at the decision.

If they make it "worth" €5 a month purely on the extras you get they're probably screwing over the rest of the userbase quite badly no? Which defeats the whole point of an optional sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I very much doubt that boards will ever charge for people to use the discussion site. The main selling point of this site to advertisers is the number of regular users and traffic it drives. Charging for any of the core functions will probably end up costing the site more in revenue in the long term from reduced advertising rates because of dropping user numbers and demand and will also create very bad feeling within the remaining user-base.

The site already charges for peripheral services via subscription like name changes and custom avatars and really that is all I can see them logically doing in the long term. Anything else will damage the business.

Essentially with adverts people are using the service to make a monetary gain, its logical that they are charged a fee to cover the costs of using the service to make their sale. Again logically I cannot see what peoples objections are to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Overheal wrote: »
    The lolcats are never coming back.
    What about Dogs?

Million times better than Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What about Dogs?

Million times better than Cats.

http://www.nyan.cat/

doesn't have it's own internet domain. your argument is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the catch22 with boards is that people already ' donate' by way of giving advice or humour to someone elses predicament.
    Ja wanna hear a joke...hold on let me put my coin in!!

If boards wants to make money then it has to look at the infrastructure (how it physically works ) and uniqueness of the site (in terms of social interaction). Basically it could rent out 'rooms' to other businesses or organisations , rather than the ping pong of email.

. I.e.
    .. rent a room with a trained mod...a thread or topic is formed because of a business problem then the thread is followed with people giving their opinions (polls and thanks count too).

In the real world so much time is wasted on bullsht meetings where the ' solution' is expected to be pulled out of some ones ar5e in thirty minutes. A bit of time spent on a thread over a few days might be better suited to a long term issue.
    Rooms could be informed if other rooms have similar problems.

I could go on but ill have to charge!

• Advertisement
Advertisement