Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto area recommendations

Options
  • 22-04-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for where would be someplace to get an ok apartment or house, nothing massively expensive but a few subway stops away from the city centre, anyone already there have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

To be honest there is no really bad place apart from Jane and Finch. I would always advise people to walk around and get a feel for the area before deciding. TO is huge with loads of different neighbourhoods

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

Been here a couple of years now and here is my take on it. I'll use the subway lines as reference.

I wouldn't live further North than Eglington/Eglington West subway stations. There are great value places around Bathurst/St Clair, Bathurst/Eglington, The Annex, Yonge/Eglington. Easy access to downtown in about 20 mins from all these places. you'll have easy access to supermarkets, bars and shops etc.

Going West I wouldn't go further than Dundas West myself. Maybe High Park but I would need to be near the subway. Some places around high park are very far from the station. When the winter last 6 months you want to cut down on walking outdoors or standing waiting for buses/street cars. Some nice areas to the west are Liberty Village, Ronvesvalles, Ossington, Queen West. Lots of nice bars and restaurants in all these places. Street car runs through them all and gets you downtown. Only issue is that in some areas of each you need to take public transport to the subway. When you're standing in minus 30 for 10/15 minutes you know all about it. Depending on traffic you could be in for a long ride on the streetcar. I'd happily live in any of those areas though.

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about living out East. Lots of Irish seem to live around the Danforth. Other than that you have the beaches area. From my experience of looking there is lots of apartments inside of older houses around the Beaches. Seems to be some good value. It would be a great place during the summer but I'd have reservations about living there in the winter. Maybe someone else can shed some light on life in the beaches during the winter. I've never had a reason to head that way when it's cold. Other areas out east look fairly shabby to me. Not been to all the areas but my general impression is shabby. When we got here first any local we spoke with said go West.

Then you have downtown. Some really nice apartments but obviously higher price. It can be very competitive trying to secure places so be prepared to look for a while when you get out. Kijji and Craigslist were the main sites I used.

I'm only speaking from my personal perspective but I think the further north, west, east you go the more important it is to be near the subway.

If anyone has question I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ Thanks for all that, a friend of mine lived downtown if I remember right around the King St area? I had a quick google and some of that looks familiar, seen a few apartments around there for about 1100 a month CAD but that's less than 750 euro, I pay that where i live now in Limerick! I'm using the Rogers Centre/ CN Tower as a waypoint as I remember that wasnt too far away from where I sayed you could get there in 10 mins walk so around that area would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Iv been looking into Toronto now for about 3 weeks now as I may have a job opportunity there. I had previously spent about 3 months focusing on Vancouver so iv been trying to ramp up on the area in comparison.

I was originally looking a bit further North in Markham but after some more research i think it is just a few years away from becoming a proper suburban area. Alot of construction and new buildings but its just not there yet.

Advice above is best. Iv pretty much decided on Yonge & Eglinton. Some good 2 bed places around there ranging from 1550-1900 depending on your income / living situations. It seems like it has its own good little down town with bars and restaurants and has good subway / public transport options.

MarkJD wrote: »
    Iv been looking into Toronto now for about 3 weeks now as I may have a job opportunity there. I had previously spent about 3 months focusing on Vancouver so iv been trying to ramp up on the area in comparison.

I was originally looking a bit further North in Markham but after some more research i think it is just a few years away from becoming a proper suburban area. Alot of construction and new buildings but its just not there yet.

Advice above is best. Iv pretty much decided on Yonge & Eglinton. Some good 2 bed places around there ranging from 1550-1900 depending on your income / living situations. It seems like it has its own good little down town with bars and restaurants and has good subway / public transport options.

The only way I'd live in Markham would be if I had to work there. Same goes for Brampton and Scarborough.

• Advertisement

Agro Head wrote: »
    The only way I'd live in Markham would be if I had to work there. Same goes for Brampton and Scarborough.

Yea i was looking for a happy medium in terms of work. Wouldn't mind a 15-30 min drive if it meant i had a nice place to live but definitely wanted all the amenities that would go around with it and Markham just doesnt seem there yet. But i do think it is a place to watch in the coming years... From what iv researched anyway.

Where do you live yourself Agro if you dont mind me asking? Would you find basing myself in Yonge & Eglinton and trying to drive to work (Gordon Bakers Hwy, North York - Roughly 15km) a rough drive in terms of getting out of Yonge & Eglinton? Heard traffic can get backed up in those areas.

Yea i was looking for a happy medium in terms of work. Wouldn't mind a 15-30 min drive if it meant i had a nice place to live but definitely wanted all the amenities that would go around with it and Markham just doesnt seem there yet. But i do think it is a place to watch in the coming years... From what iv researched anyway.

Where do you live yourself Agro if you dont mind me asking? Would you find basing myself in Yonge & Eglinton and trying to drive to work (Gordon Bakers Hwy, North York - Roughly 15km) a rough drive in terms of getting out of Yonge & Eglinton? Heard traffic can get backed up in those areas.

You'll be moving in the opposite direction to most of the traffic, with the majority commuting into Toronto rather than out of it.

Have you seen how expensive car insurance is here for us though? Total joke. You'll need to sit your driving test again and all.

They are working on something to allow us swap to Canadian license but god knows when that'll be finalized. If you fail the test you can't sit it for another year.

Yea iv been warned about the insurance but probably something ill have to take on the chin if i intend of staying long term.

I was told to expect about $500 a month? Would that be after getting the Canadian License as well? I just ordered my letter of Entitlement there earlier i heard having that may help with insurance costs..

Any good websites to better understand the Toronto public transport options / routes? be interesting to see if there was any bus / tram / subway that went the direction im looking to go to have as an option!

Yea iv been warned about the insurance but probably something ill have to take on the chin if i intend of staying long term.

I was told to expect about $500 a month? Would that be after getting the Canadian License as well? I just ordered my letter of Entitlement there earlier i heard having that may help with insurance costs..

Any good websites to better understand the Toronto public transport options / routes? be interesting to see if there was any bus / tram / subway that went the direction im looking to go to have as an option!

500 a month?! screw that you'd spend less getting a cab every day

I guess if you are around $15 round trip a day which wouldnt be very likely for a lot of people id imagine!

• Advertisement

There almost definitely will be some route out where you're going. Check http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/default.aspx

They call them Go Trains here. Basically they are commuter trains to/from non downtown locations. Most go Trains leave from Union station. You'd be there in 15 minutes from Yonge/Eglington. You might have to jump on a bus when you get to Markham or something. Major downside is you need two travel passes for this. One go train and one TTC.

TTC is the name of the downtown public transport and then places like Markham will have their own buses etc.

$500 a month would be about right for the car insurance. It's worse than when I was 17 trying to get insurance on a v-tec civic. Some places accept your no claims bonus and it makes it a bit cheaper afaik.

I guess if you are around $15 round trip a day which wouldnt be very likely for a lot of people id imagine!

TTC travel cards is about $140 a month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

$500 a month for car insurance?! I've heard more like $150. $500 a month would be €4000 per year :eek: or 10 times what my car insurance costs in Ireland.

If that figure is correct, then I'm very relieved we're not planning to buy a car!

Faith wrote: »
    $500 a month for car insurance?! I've heard more like $150. $500 a month would be €4000 per year :eek: or 10 times what my car insurance costs in Ireland.

If that figure is correct, then I'm very relieved we're not planning to buy a car!

Same, I would if I moved to a smaller town later but in a city not a hope I'd be paying that, then tax and running costs on top? my insurance here is barely 700 a year give or take.

Yea iv been told by 2 people Car insurance is that expensive. What i am unsure of is whether that is under your Irish Drivers license or if thats for a brand new driver with no years experience etc.... Which alot of the insurers see to do from what im told. Im the same my insurance is barley €800 full comp here. Hopefully i have the wrong information as $150 a month would be way wya more manageable.

Plan to do the test over there if i can and try pass and use that with the letter of entitlement. Apologies for hi jacking this thread too figured would be the best place to discuss seeing as it was about Toronto.

Thanks for the link and info Agro. Its not Markham where i am working so not that far north. Its 155 Gordon Baker Hwy which is about 17km. Checked a route there and it was the Metro YUS line for about 15mins then get off to a 43 Bus to a stop across the road from 155. Total trip says its about 45 mins which is not the worse especially if im not setup with a car for a few weeks.

Spent most of today looking at places to rent, loads of them are unfurnished which is a balls but the furnished places can be nearly 300 a month more, you'd be as well off buying a bed and couch and what have in ikea or wherever as a once off instead of paying for all of the extra rent month to month? I'm travelling extremely lightly so all I'd want is bed, tv, stand, couch, few things for around the place

Canadian girl who works with my gf pays $500 a month. You can get it cheaper if you shop it around. $150 would be a great deal. I'm not insured myself as I only need a car for meetings maybe 5 or 6 times a month so I just grab a zipcar. Couldn't justify paying the insurance when it would be so rarely used.

Yea iv been told by 2 people Car insurance is that expensive. What i am unsure of is whether that is under your Irish Drivers license or if thats for a brand new driver with no years experience etc.... Which alot of the insurers see to do from what im told. Im the same my insurance is barley €800 full comp here. Hopefully i have the wrong information as $150 a month would be way wya more manageable.

Plan to do the test over there if i can and try pass and use that with the letter of entitlement. Apologies for hi jacking this thread too figured would be the best place to discuss seeing as it was about Toronto.

Thanks for the link and info Agro. Its not Markham where i am working so not that far north. Its 155 Gordon Baker Hwy which is about 17km. Checked a route there and it was the Metro YUS line for about 15mins then get off to a 43 Bus to a stop across the road from 155. Total trip says its about 45 mins which is not the worse especially if im not setup with a car for a few weeks.

That's actually grand cos there's a sh1tload of info to be searching through on the main threads, with travel insurance like the go4less one, do you still need actual health insurance in Ireland for that? cos my VHI is up now that I've finished working here and I'm not paying to renew it if I dont need it while I'm in Canada, I just want the travel insurance to get me in over there.

krudler wrote: »
    Spent most of today looking at places to rent, loads of them are unfurnished which is a balls but the furnished places can be nearly 300 a month more, you'd be as well off buying a bed and couch and what have in ikea or wherever as a once off instead of paying for all of the extra rent month to month? I'm travelling extremely lightly so all I'd want is bed, tv, stand, couch, few things for around the place

I rented a furnished place when I got here first. Current place was unfurnished. Nearly everywhere is unfurnished and Canadians think it's weird that we use some random bed that other people have slept in.

I'd go unfurnished as it gives you way more options. Just do an Ikea run and you'll be grand. You don't need much to begin. You can add more as you go. It's a pain though having to add the extra expense of furniture on top of all the moving costs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Agro Head wrote: »
    Canadian girl who works with my gf pays $500 a month. You can get it cheaper if you shop it around. $150 would be a great deal. I'm not insured myself as I only need a car for meetings maybe 5 or 6 times a month so I just grab a zipcar. Couldn't justify paying the insurance when it would be so rarely used.

That Zipcar thing look super handy. Can you use it with your Irish license? Never mind, I see you can, you just need a record of your driving history.

• Advertisement

Yea definatley looks good. Great to know its available to get a car to the initial running around for hte first week or two!

On that note Just got my POE BABYYYYY :) Thanks to anyone that helped along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I would say that's pretty spot on. I've been insured since June last year. Mine is about $300 a month (for one car). They wanted twice that to insure me on my Irish licence so I did my test here and got it thankfully. (It's not hard the driving standard is pretty low here)

Then it took about 10 phone calls to get no claims for my years at home. Every time I called I got a different person who didn't know how to help. Then on the last try she just applied it and got it down. I think I paid two months at the higher rate before sorting it. So you just have to be persistent.

My boyfriend is Canadian and it's his policy so he added me to his car for a few months and then I got my car and it's the same policy covering both cars but he's primary on one and I'm primary driver on the other. So it's cheaper for us based on his driving history here.

I'd say if you're coming over with your Irish history and converting to a Canadian licence you could easily be looking at $500 a month.

Just as an fyi both cars we have insured are 2009, worth about $10k each, nothing fancy on any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

what the hell....$500 a month?? I had to redo the test over there, bought a car, had no Canadian driving history so started at the bottom, and my insurance was $160 a month. Admittedly I wasn't in Toronto but that would have only pushed it up $30-$40 a month.

Are you all 18 year olds with prior driving convictions???

Hmm well maybe its not that bad just what two people have told and someone else has confirmed here...

ive got 7 years clean driving history.. Got my letter of entitlement yesterday so going to bring that over. Who did you insure through so i know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I went with TD as I got a discount, think belair was the cheapest though when I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MurfM3

Hmm well maybe its not that bad just what two people have told and someone else has confirmed here...

ive got 7 years clean driving history.. Got my letter of entitlement yesterday so going to bring that over. Who did you insure through so i know :)

Hi, whats a letter of entitlement and where do I get one (Full Irish Licence nearly 10yrs) ?

Is a copy of NCB from your current insurer enough proof of past driving ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

krudler wrote: »
    Looking for where would be someplace to get an ok apartment or house, nothing massively expensive but a few subway stops away from the city centre, anyone already there have any recommendations?

i used to live near the junction of queen and spadina in china town.the rent was cheap but the place was very small.great location tho pretty central

MurfM3 wrote: »
    Hi, whats a letter of entitlement and where do I get one (Full Irish Licence nearly 10yrs) ?

Is a copy of NCB from your current insurer enough proof of past driving ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hey Rob,

You get it from the
    National Driver Licence Service

It costs €15 and you can ring up and order it. Basically just a record of your driving history under what licenses etc and how many points you have had if any.

Advertisement