Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooling breaks at 30 & 75mins at World Cup

• 22-04-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Is it a case of a world cup being staged once again in a location that's not suitable during the traditional world cup summer dates ?

RTE are to show ads during this "cooling break" as will most other ad based stations. Obviously BBC wont, but again it has me questioning the suitability of the venue at that time of year.

If the temp is 32 degrees or more cooling breaks will be part of the games.

Imagine if you have a team on the back foot and the whistle blows for one of these cooling breaks, it gives them the opportunity to regroup and change tactics. Its crazy stuff once again.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rte-to-show-ads-in-middle-of-live-games-during-the-world-cup-628533.html

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Advertisers will love it. Don't want football ending up like it's American namesake, absolutey saturated with ads.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This happens in football everywhere. Not a big deal. I believe it is a FIFA rule now, but the CBF have been doing it in Brazilian football for ages. Germany started doing it last year.

As long as the players are safe I don't care about them showing ads. I'd rather they take a break and we watch some sh*te ads than them playing on and collapsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where were they in '94 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

If it means avoiding listening to Andy Townsend or Ray Houghton for even 30 seconds, I'm all in favour of it.

It also gives the rest of us very precise timeframes for finishing our beers. 30 mins for the first one, then a quick one to be gone in 15 mins, sneak another in during half time, another 30 mins then nurse the last one for the last 15 mins. Sounds perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Horrible idea. Rewriting the rules of the game for the good of the advertisers. This has zip to do with player safety and is just another nail in the coffin of international football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Horrible idea. Rewriting the rules of the game for the good of the advertisers. This has zip to do with player safety and is just another nail in the coffin of international football.

I think they may of been considering Qatar in the back of their minds when passing this motion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think they may of been considering Qatar in the back of their minds when passing this motion.

I actually assumed it was Quatar when I saw the thread title

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

a chance to view the samba ladies in the crowds

I actually assumed it was Quatar when I saw the thread title
    Nope I think some of the journalists that have looked into It for brazil seem to think it will need to be utilised at least a few times this tournament.

syngindub wrote: »
    a chance to view the samba ladies in the crowds

All you will be viewing is more ads by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

They did this when Pats were playing in Malta in Europe, they players needed it as it was about 40 degrees, I drank 2 liters of water just watching the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While of course player safety is paramount, this just smacks of bad planning/picking unsuitable venues to me.

It also sets a precedent.. how long before we have American Football style intervals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I dunno if it will be used that much, arent most of the venues likely to be mid 20s as its their winter, i doubt we will see it much. Good for players safety. Why not have adverts, go for a piss or a beer. It should make for better football too as players will be less tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

adamski8 wrote: »
    I dunno if it will be used that much, arent most of the venues likely to be mid 20s as its their winter, i doubt we will see it much. Good for players safety. Why not have adverts, go for a piss or a beer. It should make for better football too as players will be less tired.

Maybe their winter but those grounds in the North of the Country it will be still warm considering it is close to the Equator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is it a case of a world cup being staged once again in a location that's not suitable during the traditional world cup summer dates ?

RTE are to show ads during this "cooling break" as will most other ad based stations. Obviously BBC wont, but again it has me questioning the suitability of the venue at that time of year.

If the temp is 32 degrees or more cooling breaks will be part of the games.

Imagine if you have a team on the back foot and the whistle blows for one of these cooling breaks, it gives them the opportunity to regroup and change tactics. Its crazy stuff once again.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rte-to-show-ads-in-middle-of-live-games-during-the-world-cup-628533.html

Imagine if you have a team on the back foot and the whistle blows for one of these half time breaks, it gives them the opportunity to regroup and change tactics. It's crazy stuff once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Common sense would say it will occur once the ball goes out of play after the 25th(???) minute.

Wouldn't it just be as easy to leave bottles around the edge of the pitch and let the players get them themselves when they need them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

This is fifa conditioning viewers for the abomination of a world cut that will take place in 2022. The world cup should never go anywhere near the 45 degree desert heat of Qatar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Link

Total farce. We already pay the TV licence to fund a decrepit RTE and now we have to put up with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

godtabh wrote: »
    Link

Total farce. We already pay the TV licence to fund a decrepit RTE and now we have to put up with this?
    what difference will it make? The game will be stopped anyway

Imagine if you have a team on the back foot and the whistle blows for one of these half time breaks, it gives them the opportunity to regroup and change tactics. It's crazy stuff once again

Yes that's a single break that's always been there.

Now there is 3 breaks, bit of a difference there to be fair.

• Advertisement

It makes a difference. Slowly but surely the sport is being americanised to suit the advertisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nothing story. FIFA have imposed additional breaks (for reasonable safety reasons) and it makes sense to have ad breaks when the game is completely stopped.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nothing story. FIFA have imposed additional breaks (for reasonable safety reasons) and it makes sense to have ad breaks when the game is completely stopped.

BS. It's nothing to do with safety lol. I suppose picking Qatar to host the world cup in the middle of summer was based on safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'll just try watch as many games as possible on BBC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Eight Ball wrote: »
    BS. It's nothing to do with safety lol. I suppose picking Qatar to host the world cup in the middle of summer was based on safety?

Completely nothing to do with the case in hand.

The whole world cup in Qatar is about money, the world cup in Brazil? The home of football? not exactly an extremely wealthy nation.

Everyone has been saying that there was going to have to be water breaks, like in the world cup in USA in 94.

Your outrage is thoughtless.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Completely nothing to do with the case in hand.

The whole world cup in Qatar is about money, the world cup in Brazil? The home of football? not exactly an extremely wealthy nation.

Everyone has been saying that there was going to have to be water breaks, like in the world cup in USA in 94.

Your outrage is thoughtless.

My mistake. Thought it was the world cup in Qatar we where talking about. :o Carry on.

Could certainly benefit a team that's under a lot of pressure during a game.

Regroup etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What way does it work? Does the ref blow up at 30/75 mins or do they just wait for the ball to go out of play after these periods are reached and take the break then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So FIFA deem it fine to allow two additional stops during a game but can't see any reason to allow a 30 second stop to review video footage should the referee deem it appropriate?

Great that they are taking players health into consideration, I have no problem with that, but who exactly decides on when the temp is recorded, is a mean across a ten minute period, is it before the game, during the game. What if the players feel they need a rest regardless due to humidity etc.

Will altitude be allowed in the future, neagting the obvious advantage that teams like Bolivia get from their location?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So FIFA deem it fine to allow two additional stops during a game but can't see any reason to allow a 30 second stop to review video footage should the referee deem it appropriate?

Two official breaks = Two advertising slots = revenue for FIFA

This is FIFA we are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All it means is the Final on BBC will have a great viewing figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't know why you're all getting your tinfoil hats on. As far as I'm aware, this isn't a new thing, they're not introducing it, they did it at the Beijing Olympics. FIFPro were demanding this, not FIFA, and FIFA relented. There are clear valid reasons for it.

The real issue is playing games at 1pm to suit European viewing times, but none of you were complaining about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Headline:
    RTE misses out on rights to XYZ Tournement

RTE Response
    We don't have enough money

Public Response:
    Get Money! Manage finances better

RTE:
    We'll get money through initiatives such as utilising the Water-Breaks

Public:
    LOUD NOISES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ad breaks during a water break are no big deal really. Unless you have a fetish for men drinking water I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Water Breaks, Water Rates , where will it end !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is a regular thing in Brazilian football, the health of the players is the most important thing.

Now if they can give the referees some spray cans like they have in the copa Libertadores I'd be very happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is a regular thing in Brazilian football, the health of the players is the most important thing.

Now if they can give the referees some spray cans like they have in the copa Libertadores I'd be very happy.

They are giving them spray can for the World Cup in June i think I read somewere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Common sense would say it will occur once the ball goes out of play after the 25th(???) minute.

Wouldn't it just be as easy to leave bottles around the edge of the pitch and let the players get them themselves when they need them?

Just hand out water balloons to the crowd and they can apply when they deem it necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hoping for some exciting first thirds, second halfs and final sixths this summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement