Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict house

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering does anybody have experience of renovating a house on a small site(.15 acres) with its own septic tank. What are the problems regarding the septic tank requirements and how would it affect house saleability down the line. House is exactly what we've been looking for but there is no option to purchase anymore land either side.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is the tank registered and have you had it checked by suitable qualified engineer.
    I've seen sales fall through over septic tank issues
    Also any future planning applications will require clarification of the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'm assuming it isn't registered as it is vacant for upwards of 10 years. Haven't had an engineer out yet but it's the next step. I suppose we are doubting whether to proceed or not, whilst the renovation may be fine for us, it will have no sell on value if we ever decide to move on. Real pity as the house is exactly what we've been looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Whatever about the tank, the percolation area must be tiny. Probably an old soak pit filled with rocks. Septic tank building regs SR6 1991 is quite demanding.

Cheers for the replies. Without the extra land it's a non runner. Pity to see another old house fall into ruin. Too many risks involved in going forward with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

plumber77 wrote: »
    I'm assuming it isn't registered as it is vacant for upwards of 10 years. Haven't had an engineer out yet but it's the next step.
    so the house is derelict and empty for ten years.

you would want to seek professional planning advice on whether the house is considered a 'renovation' and is considered 'habitable' or whether it is a 'derelict' house and requires a planning permission for the refurbishment .

most local authorities will insist on an application for the waste water treatment unit regardless of the above.

don't let planning put you off if the house is what you want.

best of luck

• Advertisement

Cheers. No it's not on the derelict list anyway, just vacant for 10 years. No planning permission would be required, we just feel the septic tank issue could be problematic down the line. Further investigation needed I suppose. Thanks for the help

Advertisement