Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change house number

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

There is a really good house that has come up for SALE at our area, but the number is 13.
    The price is good as well. Is it possible to change the house number to something else, or do i have to stick up with it only?
    Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Wouldn't it be a little odd to have some other number between houses 12 and 14?

What's the postman going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you owned it, I'd say you might have a problem - as a renter, not a hope.

IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I own a house and it's 13. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Give the house a name, then over tiem drop the number. it might take a little bit of time for the postman to get used to it. but he will learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If your only reason why the number needs to be changed is because its unlucky, it's kinda ridiculous. Changing the number is going to make a different. Its like a hotel renaming the 13th storey, floor 14. It's still the 13 th floor.

You renting the house, not owning it. If you don't like the number. Look for a house elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

ted1 wrote: »
    Give the house a name, then over tiem drop the number. it might take a little bit of time for the postman to get used to it. but he will learn

12A

• Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

In my opinion, numbers are used for counting things.

You should get the house as soon as possible, if that's what you want.

You said it was a really good house. Really good houses are good for living in. If you live in a good house, it makes everything else, more good. Even more so if it's a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys,

Sorry it is a house sale not a let.
    The price is good and the locality is also nice.It is difficult to get a good house in this area. One of the reasons why the price is a bit low is cause of the number.
    I know it is superstitious and i really don't care about all that. The only worry is when I try to sell it, I may not get the rate that I want; hence the query if I can change the number.
    regards

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry it is a house sale not a let.
    The price is good and the locality is also nice.It is difficult to get a good house in this area. One of the reasons why the price is a bit low is cause of the number.
    I know it is superstitious and i really don't care about all that. The only worry is when I try to sell it, I may not get the rate that I want; hence the query if I can change the number.
    regards
    You haven't even bought it yet (nor decided if you want to), and you're wondering about the resale value? :confused:

Are you planning on living in it, or is it just a pure investment?

Personally I think you're bonkers in either case to be considering the number on the front door a factor in your decision, but each to their own......

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You haven't even bought it yet (nor decided if you want to), and you're wondering about the resale value? :confused:

Are you planning on living in it, or is it just a pure investment?

Personally I think you're bonkers in either case to be considering the number on the front door a factor in your decision, but each to their own......

When you are putting in 10 years of savings into a house, I think everytjing should be factored in.
    The place is to live for the next couple of years and then sell it off.

• Advertisement

I really don't mean to be a smartarse (honestly!) - but if you're ploughing 10 years of your savings into a house, would you not look for something a bit longer-term than something you plan on flipping in a few years (if you can)?

That sort of approach is what has an awful lot of people in an awful lot of trouble these days.....

Property isn't, and shouldn't be, a "ladder" on which to climb. Look where that's got us in the past.

But you didn't ask for a sermon or lecture, so I'll leave it at that.

Back on topic - no, I don't think you will be allowed change your house number. Naming the house, however, might be an option, and let that be the dominant bit of your address. I think you might still have to use the number in the address though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you manage to buy it, then just start calling it 12a, and put up a sign like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

suave.4u wrote: »
    The place is to live for the next couple of years and then sell it off.
    what if prices fall dramatically? Can you imagine living in this place longer term?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I know people are saying you are being silly for worrying about the number 13. My dad is the same, he hates the number 13 and he has written educational booklets for the leaving cert and has always left the number 13 out. I used to type them up and would have to have it 11, 12, 14, 15 etc...

Anyway do as others suggest and call it 12A that is perfect. I wouldn't have a problem buying a house that was number 13 at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

131 ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I lived in a house numbered 12A, seemed daft to me. One of the favourite houses I ever lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

I saw this once on a house:

304256.jpg

Might be an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I find it hard to believe anyone would have s problem with a house numbered 13. If I was no 12 and a neighbor changed to 12a if be little annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,you are being ridiculous.What did you do when you were 13 years old.Did you tell people you were between 12 and 14.

Superstitions were fine 100 years ago but its 2014 now.

What will you do if you buy the house and one magpie lands outside your door and on the same day you end up breaking a mirror?

Its all a load of hogwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

If you're really worried just call it "House Number 6 + 7", and put a pair of black cats on the gate pillars. And plant 4 leaved shamrocks in the grass. And hang a horse shoe beside the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you manage to buy it, then just start calling it 12a, and put up a sign like that.

I would advise against that, in recent years A beside a house number has denoted an additional property build on the land/in the garden of other houses. 12a would suggest that it was a recent addition and may discourage buyers.

The house name and eventually dropping the number seems like a safer option investment-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe anyone would have s problem with a house numbered 13. If I was no 12 and a neighbor changed to 12a if be little annoyed.

I'm not superstitious, and I think the op's issue is a bit ridiculous- but I think this is crazy too! What difference would it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on the local sorting office you may have your post over stickered and delayed; also utility providers and revenue will keep using 13. Satnavs won't locate it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

OP,you are being ridiculous.What did you do when you were 13 years old.Did you tell people you were between 12 and 14.

Superstitions were fine 100 years ago but its 2014 now.

What will you do if you buy the house and one magpie lands outside your door and on the same day you end up breaking a mirror?

Its all a load of hogwash.

Ridiculous maybe but a factor nonetheless. We now have a twice yearly car registration scheme partially based on car dealers fears that no one would buy a 13xx car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hfallada wrote: »
    If your only reason why the number needs to be changed is because its unlucky, it's kinda ridiculous. Changing the number is going to make a different. Its like a hotel renaming the 13th storey, floor 14. It's still the 13 th floor.

You renting the house, not owning it. If you don't like the number. Look for a house elsewhere

your wrong. The 13th story is actually the 12th floor. (12+ground)
    The 14th Story is actually the 13th floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And I am 21 + a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Put a rabbits foot keyring on the door key. They'll cancel each other out.

Name the house Triskaideka. No phobia, see. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

jlm29 wrote: »
    I'm not superstitious, and I think the op's issue is a bit ridiculous- but I think this is crazy too! What difference would it make?

Very little but you would be needlessy having to warn anyone calling that its 12 and not 12a because your neighbour is a bit of an eejit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Call it "Bakers Dozen" haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

lukesmom wrote: »
    My dad is the same, he hates the number 13 and he has written educational booklets for the leaving cert and has always left the number 13 out. I used to type them up and would have to have it 11, 12, 14, 15 etc...

Amazing, your Dad can't, sorry, won't count properly, and he still got a job writing books to educate children!

What a country:rolleyes:!

Advertisement