Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not connecting to wifi at home only

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been having some issues with my internet connection here. I'm on a Samsung and a UPC connection and UPC technicolor modem. We switched providers a short while ago and since then my laptop struggles to maintain a connection; I work from home on it and I'm fine on my dictionary sites, etc, until I try to open any social media sites etc and I lose connectivity (yellow triangle of doom).
    All other laptops and tablets work fine with the internet connection so I thought I had viruses or something, BUT I've been up at my parent's house for the long weekend and the laptop was flying while connected to their Vodafone box so it seems to be specifically this laptop and this internet connection.
    I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with this now, if anybody knows what's going on or could help at all I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I have a laptop doing exactly the same...yellow triangle of doom and absolutely no obvious reason as to why it won't connect to internet. Tried re-installing drivers for network card...nope.

I did fix this issue before on another laptop by downloading fresh network adapter drivers from the manufacturer's website. Worked for that case.

Would love an explanation for this problem, got a perfectly good lappy sitting gathering dust. No good without internet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

SamAK wrote: »
    I have a laptop doing exactly the same...yellow triangle of doom and absolutely no obvious reason as to why it won't connect to internet. Tried re-installing drivers for network card...nope.

I did fix this issue before on another laptop by downloading fresh network adapter drivers from the manufacturer's website. Worked for that case.

Would love an explanation for this problem, got a perfectly good lappy sitting gathering dust. No good without internet!!!

has it been working before on the same connection, or has is it a new laptop that has been like this ever since you first connected?

The Cool wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been having some issues with my internet connection here. I'm on a Samsung and a UPC connection and UPC technicolor modem. We switched providers a short while ago and since then my laptop struggles to maintain a connection; I work from home on it and I'm fine on my dictionary sites, etc, until I try to open any social media sites etc and I lose connectivity (yellow triangle of doom).
    All other laptops and tablets work fine with the internet connection so I thought I had viruses or something, BUT I've been up at my parent's house for the long weekend and the laptop was flying while connected to their Vodafone box so it seems to be specifically this laptop and this internet connection.
    I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with this now, if anybody knows what's going on or could help at all I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Im just curious now,,, when i was living with the brother both of us had imacs, running from the old UPC routers. Everything worked fine.

Then they posted us out a new router because of the upgrade in the speed they were delivering. After about 1 week we started to notice many disconnections with the wifi to be specific. Are you hard wired or wireless?

My brother eventualy boiled the problem down to how those routers deals with ipv6,, it was weird realy. il give him a buzz to clarify the issue with him as im not living there anymore

STEINBERG wrote: »
    has it been working before on the same connection, or has is it a new laptop that has been like this ever since you first connected?

No, I moved into a new house with a new (Eircom) wireless connection. The laptop in question worked for five minutes before the yellow triangle appeared.

But, my other laptop (the one i'm using now) worked fine when introduced to this new connection. As have a number of different laptops and devices that have been brought into the house over the past year or so. No issues with any except the first one..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

With some atheros wifi adapters windows would install a buggy driver. This would fail to connect to wifi N networks, but would work fine with wifi G. Solution was to install proper drivers from manufacturer manually.

• Advertisement

No, I moved into a new house with a new (Eircom) wireless connection. The laptop in question worked for five minutes before the yellow triangle appeared.

But, my other laptop (the one i'm using now) worked fine when introduced to this new connection. As have a number of different laptops and devices that have been brought into the house over the past year or so. No issues with any except the first one..

well then that eliminates an ISP problem on Eircoms part.. have you got it hard wired to the router or is it wireless?

well then that eliminates an ISP problem on Eircoms part.. have you got it hard wired to the router or is it wireless?

All wireless....but tried a hard connection with ethernet cable and that didn't work either!

Check DHCP settings, make sure no devices are using static ip and causing conflicts.

All wireless....but tried a hard connection with ethernet cable and that didn't work either!

You said it works for sometime and then you get the yellow triangle, and thats the same connected both ways? works for sometime and then disconnects?

Apologies now for the repeating what you say but im just trying to narrow down the possibiloities

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Have you tried turning it on and off again, or wriggling it about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Im just curious now,,, when i was living with the brother both of us had imacs, running from the old UPC routers. Everything worked fine.

Then they posted us out a new router because of the upgrade in the speed they were delivering. After about 1 week we started to notice many disconnections with the wifi to be specific. Are you hard wired or wireless?

My brother eventualy boiled the problem down to how those routers deals with ipv6,, it was weird realy. il give him a buzz to clarify the issue with him as im not living there anymore

I'm wireless; I plugged it in with the ethernet and it was flying. So it's something to do with the wireless connection between the two.

Update drivers manually.

Try this:

Control Panel
    Hardware and Sound
    Device Manager

Expand the network adapter tab and double click your network adapter, under the power management tab deselect the box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Click ok and now go to network and sharing center,

Control panel
    network and internet
    network connections

Double click the local area connection and select properties. deselect the TCP/ipv6 check box. click ok or save whatever the prompt ask.
    Do a complete reboot and see how you get on with it

I'm wireless; I plugged it in with the ethernet and it was flying. So it's something to do with the wireless connection between the two.

ipv6 issue id say, go into the properties of your local adapter and deselect the ipv6 checkbox and see how you get on with the wireless

You said it works for sometime and then you get the yellow triangle, and thats the same connected both ways? works for sometime and then disconnects?

Apologies now for the repeating what you say but im just trying to narrow down the possibiloities

No, it worked for five minutes when it was introduced to the new connection and hasn't worked at all since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Might be worth trying to delete the connection's details and start anew.

No, it worked for five minutes when it was introduced to the new connection and hasn't worked at all since then!

That's a strange one alright, could be a driver issue but then it worked already when connected firs

ipv6 issue id say, go into the properties of your local adapter and deselect the ipv6 checkbox and see how you get on with the wireless

Should I uncheck ipv6 for my wireless connection too?

Should I uncheck ipv6 for my wireless connection too?

yep try it and see what happends.. you can always just go back and recheck the box

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Is it a Macbook by any chance? Had an ipv6 issue with eircom wireless with mine.

It needed an iOS update as the new fibre speeds did not support the current operating system. Worth a shot if your connection is dropping for no reason.

• Advertisement

yep try it and see what happends.. you can always just go back and recheck the box

I've done all those steps and rebooted - alas, no change. If I try to throw open Facebook etc it knocks me offline, and is still very slow.

I've done all those steps and rebooted - alas, no change. If I try to throw open Facebook etc it knocks me offline, and is still very slow.

That's a strange one for sure, is it only specific sites as in Facebook or is it for all websites? The fact that you are connected and only lose the connection or it gets very slow when connected to certain sites is strange..

if you just go to google.ie and do a speedtest.net what results are you getting?

That's a strange one for sure, is it only specific sites as in Facebook or is it for all websites? The fact that you are connected and only lose the connection or it gets very slow when connected to certain sites is strange..

if you just go to google.ie and do a speedtest.net what results are you getting?

Heavy sites like Twitter, buzz feed etc just refuse to work, even boards is taking years to open - writing from my tablet now. Gmail is on a go-slow. I'm managing okish with my dictionary sites etc if I have nothing else open. It's like it gets overloaded.

I'm getting a test timed out error! Not a good sign, heh! Aaaand webpage not available. So speed test also a no-go.

Right successful after several attempts - Ping 28 ms, DLS 39mbps, ULS about 4.5.

Heavy sites like Twitter, buzz feed etc just refuse to work, even boards is taking years to open - writing from my tablet now. Gmail is on a go-slow. I'm managing okish with my dictionary sites etc if I have nothing else open. It's like it gets overloaded.

I'm getting a test timed out error! Not a good sign, heh! Aaaand webpage not available. So speed test also a no-go.

Very weird indeed, i would suggest a call to UPC support because it might very well be an issue with them.. i mean you are able to connect only to get terrible speed and response times.... Give them a call tommorow maybe and see what they have to say

Advertisement