Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to do well in the leaving?

• 22-04-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I haven't really done much study at all up until now and that is mainly because the course I need is only 305 points. I have recently started to panic as I keep thinking about what will happens if I mess up and don't get my course. I absolutely hate the idea of having to repeat and stay stuck in school another year while all of my friends move on. I did poor in my mocks but did absolutely no study for them whatsoever, so it was expected. I am studying Irish,English,History and Biology in higher level and aim to get a C3 in all of them. In ordinary level I'm studying maths, Spanish and economics but have no intention of doing any study whatsoever for Spanish and economics other than the night before so I can put all of my effort in the other five over the next six weeks. I did up a study plan and I'm going to cover one topic from each of the five subjects every day for the next 43 days. Do you think this will be a sufficient amount of work to achieve my aims or am I destined to repeat next year? If I'm destined to repeat next year I might as well just take my summer holidays now....

Not sure what my IQ is but my memory recall is exceptional and I am easily able to concentrate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Far too subjective a question with lots of variables. What's your IQ? Your ability to concentrate. Your memory recall? General aptitude? Some people can thrive with little study whereas others needs to constantly work to keep their head above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

College isnt all sunshine. Lots of study. So you need to seriously get down to the study without delay for the LC, if not as you said take your holidays!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

No, it's never to late. Start now. Study well. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Just learn off poems and quotes for English, that'll save you so much time. A C3 shouldn't be too hard in any of them, remember, you're judged against the rest of the country, would you think you'd be an average student in all of your honours subjects?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I'm in the same situation too I will study tommorow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Same boat here as well, just can't get the urge to do it. It's this week that I'm beginning to panic. Didn't nothing at all last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

It's never ever too late even one day can make all the difference! In saying that get your head down! You won't miss much anyway!

It's never ever too late even one day can make all the difference! In saying that get your head down! You won't miss much anyway!

So difficult to just focus :(

So difficult to just focus :(

Keep writing. Get a refill pad and write and write and write. You'll be surprised how much you take in, plus you're doing something as opposed to staring at a book.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Keep writing. Get a refill pad and write and write and write. You'll be surprised how much you take in, plus you're doing something as opposed to staring at a book.

Cheers, I'll try it. It'll be interesting to see how I last :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Coming from a current repeat in almost the same boat here. I just can't study. Got 330 or so in the mocks but need 430 or thereabouts. I know it's do-able but by f*** it is just too hard to study.

Cheers, I'll try it. It'll be interesting to see how I last :pac:

If I didn't figure out that trick I'd be failing everything. :P

If I didn't figure out that trick I'd be failing everything. :P

Usually when I'm writing though, it's instinct, I'm writing but my mind/head is somewhere else :(

It's like walking/driving and you can't remember going by somewhere :p

Usually when I'm writing though, it's instinct, I'm writing but my mind/head is somewhere else :(

It's like walking/driving and you can't remember going by somewhere :p

You don't have that fly on the wall to look at though, do you? ;)

You don't have that fly on the wall to look at though, do you? ;)

I may have just insinuated you're being spied on, woops :)

I may have just insinuated you're being spied on, woops :)

Haha, what? :P

I'm lost :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I agree with the post that says buy a new refill pad and get writing. Honestly you'll be surprised at the things you remember when you see them written in your own hand writing and if something pops up in the exam you will remember it because you wrote it down.
    Just as a side note; I don't mean to be narky but the current attitude you have now towards exams isn't going to be of any benefit to you in college and that kind of attitude is what contributes to most people failing college.

Haha, what? :P

I'm lost :pac:

Fly on the wall... Ugh, nevermind :P

anna080 wrote: »
    Just as a side note; I don't mean to be narky but the current attitude you have now towards exams isn't going to be of any benefit to you in college and that kind of attitude is what contributes to most people failing college.

Hopefully you'd be interested in what you're studying in college which (I really hope!) will make it easier to a study..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

anna080 wrote: »
    I agree with the post that says buy a new refill pad and get writing. Honestly you'll be surprised at the things you remember when you see them written in your own hand writing and if something pops up in the exam you will remember it because you wrote it down.

I agree. The Leaving Cert. is only a means to an end (ie. a college place in your desired course) but there is merit to reaching your potential. Self-actualisation for those of you that do business. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

it's never too late to do anything, put your mind to it and you will do well..it's as simple as that!
    I only started studying really within a 2 weeks of the LC because i thought i'd get the points (they were so low), but then alot of people applied to the course i wanted and i didn't get in.... Ironically, that opened up some doors, did a PLC course for 1 year and then got into a different course down the country which changed my life... there's lots of roads and treks you can go down.. :)

Advertisement