Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mums over 40 what vitamins/herbs do you take while ttc?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

We're trying for baby number 5 now for the past year and a half with no success. I was on the pill before that for around 11 yrs. For the last say 7 months we have been actively trying. This Month I tried OPT's and a Fertility app on my mobile and bang on the day I was supposed to ovulate I got a positive OPT! As this is my first time using OPT's I'm happy that I O'vd on time. Another thing I have done differently was take Evening Primrose Oil until a few days before ovulation and Cough Syrup. I've also been taking Folic Acid for a few months and Vitamin C, E and Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules. I'm 40 years old now and I know my clock is ticking and we would love to have another baby and if we do we'd love to try again straight away for another one and that would be it! Would love to hear from other Mums over 40 who conceived and what do you think did it for you? Thank you all for reading!:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

skylarr wrote: »
    Hi All,

We're trying for baby number 5 now for the past year and a half with no success. I was on the pill before that for around 11 yrs. For the last say 7 months we have been actively trying. This Month I tried OPT's and a Fertility app on my mobile and bang on the day I was supposed to ovulate I got a positive OPT! As this is my first time using OPT's I'm happy that I O'vd on time. Another thing I have done differently was take Evening Primrose Oil until a few days before ovulation and Cough Syrup. I've also been taking Folic Acid for a few months and Vitamin C, E and Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules. I'm 40 years old now and I know my clock is ticking and we would love to have another baby and if we do we'd love to try again straight away for another one and that would be it! Would love to hear from other Mums over 40 who conceived and what do you think did it for you? Thank you all for reading!:))

Not sure if it helped but did take evening primrose and folic acid when ttc and I had always taken cod liver - but that's been all my life! best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skylarr

Thanks very much for the reply. Yep I've also heard Cod liver oil is a great thing to take for healthy bones etc, my Grandmother swore by it! I remember that horrible taste though as a kid but Thankfully you can buy it in tablet/capsule form. I actually have some in the press. She also Loved Royal Jelly! She said she definitely did benefit from it but it was a tad too expensive for her to keep buying (This was about 20yrs ago!).

I'd really Love to try Maca (hope the spelling is correct & its not Macca ??) I've read soo many positive reviews on it. It's not just for those TTC (but it's supposed to help gratefully) But for everything afaik.. It's a Persian Super Food. I've heard that Black fermented Maca is the best for women to take not too sure which is best for men though. Try running it through google & you'll see too. I'd personally Love it because it's supposed to give you ton's of extra energy!:D

Best wishes
    Skylar :) X

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Can I just step in here and strongly advise against any cod liver oil supplement or derivative. It is contraindicated in pregnancy and I just double checked for TTC also and it's also not recommended because of high levels of Vitamin A which are harmful.

If you're looking for a good multivitamin that contains all your important ( and safe!) supplements then I would go with Pregnacare.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Just started with Pregnacare (got in Boots). Hoping it will help. We have been trying for a while now and I just turned 40 so feeling the clock pressure! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skylarr

Merkin wrote: »
    Can I just step in here and strongly advise against any cod liver oil supplement or derivative. It is contraindicated in pregnancy and I just double checked for TTC also and it's also not recommended because of high levels of Vitamin A which are harmful.

If you're looking for a good multivitamin that contains all your important ( and safe!) supplements then I would go with Pregnacare.

Thank You for that info!! I've stopped taking them over a month now. I've also read that Vitamin A is not recommended in pregnancy, I was a bit surprised but hey I'm not going to question it! Also I just thought I was taking too much if you get me...

I've ordered my opts & I also got some pre-seed (really cheap online!) so I'm going to try that along with the pregnicare & folic acid. FX!:~)

Thanks again,
    Skylar X

• Advertisement
Advertisement