Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that you had no idea what to do in as a kid

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I saw this topic over on another forum and thought that it might bring up some interesting suggestions.

I'm sure we all have at least one game that we played when we were young that left you scratching your head at what do to. That game for me was Jack the Ripper for the Commodore 64. I remember loading it up a few times and having no clue what I was supposed to do. It was a text based adventure but that just didn't click with the 7 or 8 year old me.

Jack_the_Ripper_Cover.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SonictheHedgehog3CarnivalNightZoneA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Indiana-Jones.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

skifree.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Powermonger_1.png

Remember not having a notion what was going on when i finished played this game (Guess I was like between 4-8 at the time).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I could never, ever figure out how to get past Scar at the end of The Lion King on the Megadrive. I bet you it is embarrassingly easy, but I tried what at the time seemed like a whole host of techniques - including painstakingly luring him to the edge of the cliff - but the evil **** just wouldn't give up. At least the amazing 16 bit versions of the various film songs made the chore of getting to the end a bit easier, especially during the damn falling log platforming bits in the Hakunah Mathatah stages.

Some day the king I will return and try again, and I shall surely be humbled by finally effortlessly confronting the torment that has plagued me for the guts of two decades. Either that or it really is incredibly hard. I'm banking on the former.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, as a kid I was playing stuff on the Spectrum, so it'd have to be the likes of the Hobbit.
    I just couldn't get my head around the parser, while the likes of Gremlins was a similar text adventure it had a better parser, The Honnit was much earlier and drove me mad, Thorin and his fecking singing about gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Turok2box.jpg

Not a single level completed. Oh well, cheat codes and multilayer dino fights in a pink candy level.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ET (Atari 2600). Very confusing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Driver 2, it was my first Driver game. I played Take A Ride all the time, but didn't know where to drive to in mission mode. Only when I was like 15 and tried it again, did I notice that pausing the game and showing the map showed the point I was meant to drive to, and then I realised there was a thing in the minimap showing it too. I felt like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I didn't know there was an underground part to the opening level of Alex Kidd on the Mega Drive until a few months ago, also that rock, paper scissors mini game in it was so damn hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

A link to the past, never got the Moon Pearl so was stuck as a bunny and didn't know what to do. No internet back then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The boat at the start of the second prince of Persia kept jumping for it and kept missing it didn't know where else to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Riven. (Although I was 20 at the time so hardly a kid I guess :o) I just never figured out what I was supposed to be doing got bored, moved on and never came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

the original tomb raider. There was a ledge that you had to jump. It was a huge distance so I used to run jump but she missed every ****ing time, no matter the angle I tried.
    Turned out you had to walk to the very ****ing edge and jump from standing.
    The bitch could make it from standing still but not at a run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I could never, ever figure out how to get past Scar at the end of The Lion King on the Megadrive. I bet you it is embarrassingly easy, but I tried what at the time seemed like a whole host of techniques - including painstakingly luring him to the edge of the cliff - but the evil **** just wouldn't give up. At least the amazing 16 bit versions of the various film songs made the chore of getting to the end a bit easier, especially during the damn falling log platforming bits in the Hakunah Mathatah stages.

Some day the king I will return and try again, and I shall surely be humbled by finally effortlessly confronting the torment that has plagued me for the guts of two decades. Either that or it really is incredibly hard. I'm banking on the former.

Ah, I remember it well. It is hard, and there's a trick to it too, which always felt like the game wasn't quite playing fair at the last fence.

You want to know? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

There was one game on the C64 where I couldn't get past the 1st screen. You had to get across a hole but the character would not jump no mater what I tried and would just fall in and die. Think it was dungeons and dragons. A lot of the games back then were confusing or too difficult for young me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Populous and Warmonger on the Megadrive as an 8-12 year old

Games that on the cover you think would be for kids but I was also lost.... Fantastic Dizzy, ToeJam and Earl, and some game I can't remember the name of the life of me (you're an animal ..elephant or something...I forget..and your ship crashlands on a planet...and you've to get the parts to build it...it's a 2d game, side scrolling ....not isometric like ToeJam and Earl...in case you think I'm confusing them)

Some of the early survival horrors and point-click adventures I'd be stuck on for days.
    Resident evils, silent hills........and I think everyone has tried using a baloon and scissors on a snake or any mental random combination of objects because you were completely stumped in the likes of Monkey Island ,Broken Sword or Grim Fandango etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I remember the first screen of Another World on Megadrive, I didn't have a clue what I was looking at. You were supposed to tap a button to make your character swim as he had teleported in underwater, but for the life of me, what that was represented by onscreen didn't look anything like it was supposed to. Didn't have a clue what was happening on screen or what I was supposed to be doing.
    Cue hours of frustration, reading every inch of the manual, and trying everything I could think of to progress. Got it in the end, and it was an absolutely brilliant game, but came very close to giving up right at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

First time playing Soviet Strike on the Playstation, first ever PS game. Never played a game before where you had a free run of a level/map with mission objectives and planning ahead could make later missions easier. Got the hang of it after an hour or so of SNAFU messages on screen. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,756 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Betrayal at Krondor

dosbox-0-74-cpu-speed_-max-100-cycles-frameskip-0-program_-krondor-screenshot-9_18_2013-11_35_06-pm-cropped.png?w=640&h=483

Also pains me that I never really understood how to progress in Kingdom of Loathing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was 9 and didn't know much about AD&D and had no access to a rulebook etc. THAC0 is an obvious acronym after years of gaming but back then it was rather obtuse:

Pool_of_radiance_panels.png

(A selection of screens from Pool of Radiance)

Lacking the Internet and Google I didn't figure out some of the stuff until I got my hands on a few AD&D rulebooks in college (I'd a deprived upbringing you see).

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Some Pirate game on the PS1.

Hadn't a ****ing clue what was going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, I remember it well. It is hard, and there's a trick to it too, which always felt like the game wasn't quite playing fair at the last fence.

You want to know? :pac:

No thanks, I've resisted the temptation to google it for years now under the belief I'll return to it :pac:

I appreciate the knowledge that the game was at least partially to blame though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Frontier Elite. Floating around in space waiting for something to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Actually, this also when I was younger:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjphdGMNc07mDhF_VefPmlJoz2ANqdA7RUYwAmwrYlR7N0LfR3Lw

I only spotted "Press Spacebar to move to the next section" after the game's tape had been ruined by a visiting toddler. (It was a lightgun game) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I could not finish flimbo's quest. In fact, I didn't think it ended tbh. Whatever I was doing involved going through all the levels and the game just brought me back around to the beginning and off I went again, no end credits, nothing. It was only very recently that I saw a video showing that it was supposed to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

MystCover.png

this.

No clue, and still no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

I could never get past the hang glider sections of Sonic 2 on the Master System (I think they were in the second stage, so not very far in!). Couldn't get the hang of it at all when I was small. Usually would just keep taking nosedives until I ran out of lives or patience!

After our master system broke, for ages the only game my sister and I had was Spyro the Dragon on the PS1. We played through it countless times, and we found everything in it, except for one dragon. No exaggeration, we spent months replaying that one level over and over trying to find that last dragon. Turned out you had to do a complicated (ok - complicated for what had been a fairly easy kids game) charge move to get over to a secret area. We were unbelievably pleased with ourselves when we finally figured it out :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lords of Midnight on the Speccy, never had a balls notion what the heck was going on, but looks nice.
    Tír na nÓg was another on the Spectrum, I guess I was just too young for the both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Spike in Transylvania on the Commodore 64. Remember being so hard because of Ghosts always killing you, turned out you needed another item to ward them off but just never thought about it at the time.

Advertisement